This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I was searching for some information on LU, and I have found this article from LU in 2014:

https://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm? ... MID=115739

It would make sense that LU bought the building of LCA(or was it TRBC) for a $1. I believe the Civic center is still a go but the city is taking forever to agree on it. Since they are holding off on the idea, LU took the time to renovate the campus. Since most of that project(the phases that’s planned to be completed in 2020) is almost over, is the civic center next? Sorry to bring this conversation back, but it seem as though some guys in the forum wasn’t sure where the center would be located.
Yacht Rock wrote:I think the Civic Center is dead.
To be fair, the mall is on life support as well. Most indoor malls are. Jr is too estate savvy to have purchased a majority stake over there and not turn anything with it. There is a plan that hasn't been leaked. He may not be a good speaker or even a good representative of the school sometimes, but he is good at investments.
Agreed. At this point if LU wants one LU is going to have to build their own. Which they have the money to do
Purple Haize wrote:
Agreed. At this point if LU wants one LU is going to have to build their own. Which they have the money to do
That’s what the article proposed. The issue is not building it but if the involvement of city officials. It was either the center to be built and then the renovation of the campus or vice versa. We know now which project was completed first. The plan is not dead because the topic died down. I’m not saying the project is fully alive, but the investments that Jr and the board has made in the past two years isn’t just a coincidence.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I thought we moved on to a new basketball arena? Which I thought they were going to start soon.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Guys, the Civic Center is dead, for sure. LU never intended to find it, just be a full time tenant. Jerry and the mall...he might be savvy, but more has been done with less in other places. If Liberty paid wages closer to the norm, we'd see more interest from retailers. Lynchburg is probably one of the poorest college towns in the eastern US. Liberty seems to make moves much like the dominant businesses in Lynchburg during the 30s and 40s. These industries leveraged their size and prominence to keep wages low. Things changed when GE came around, and the large local businesses didn't like the outcome. Liberty might contribute to the economy, but for all the show and talk, a school our size would have 3 or 4 times the economic impact. UVA's estimated impact on Charlottesville is 10 times greater than LU's stated impact. Now, we are buying up buildings, leaving them empty and paying taxes on them. That is NOT good business.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:I thought we moved on to a new basketball arena? Which I thought they were going to start soon.
That’s what I thought. But there is going to have to be a new facility for Convo etc
By ElmersTwin
Purple Haize wrote:
ballah09 wrote:I thought we moved on to a new basketball arena? Which I thought they were going to start soon.
That’s what I thought. But there is going to have to be a new facility for Convo etc
Vines won't be going anywhere. It'll be used in conjunction with the new arena, and possibly as an overflow in the years to come depending on growth on campus.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ElmersTwin wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Vines won't be going anywhere. It'll be used in conjunction with the new arena, and possibly as an overflow in the years to come depending on growth on campus.
Shrewd non answer Study :D
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
That’s what the article proposed. The issue is not building it but if the involvement of city officials. It was either the center to be built and then the renovation of the campus or vice versa. We know now which project was completed first. The plan is not dead because the topic died down. I’m not saying the project is fully alive, but the investments that Jr and the board has made in the past two years isn’t just a coincidence.
You may have forgotten this gem from a few years ago.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/l ... 9002f.html
The school, he said, plans to use the mall for retail, not educational purposes. The idea, once floated, of putting a civic center there no longer is of interest to the school, he said.
rogers3 wrote:Guys, the Civic Center is dead, for sure. LU never intended to find it, just be a full time tenant. Jerry and the mall...he might be savvy, but more has been done with less in other places. If Liberty paid wages closer to the norm, we'd see more interest from retailers. Lynchburg is probably one of the poorest college towns in the eastern US. Liberty seems to make moves much like the dominant businesses in Lynchburg during the 30s and 40s. These industries leveraged their size and prominence to keep wages low. Things changed when GE came around, and the large local businesses didn't like the outcome. Liberty might contribute to the economy, but for all the show and talk, a school our size would have 3 or 4 times the economic impact. UVA's estimated impact on Charlottesville is 10 times greater than LU's stated impact. Now, we are buying up buildings, leaving them empty and paying taxes on them. That is NOT good business.
How could you compare LU to UVA or any university that is similar? LU had just started an economic impact since 2007 (based on the time it's been debt free), while UVA has made economic impact for about 200 years.Even though LU's net work is in the billions, that doesn't mean that they should just establish all their plans at once. Also, because some of LU's bought property is empty or not used as much, doesn't make that action bad business. It's not what is built on the land that is valuable, but it's the land itself that has the value. LU's huge future plan was based on a 20-30 year period, which connects with Lynchburgs 20-30 year period. It takes time for a city to establish, grow and develop just like Charlottesville did at some time. As of now, I don't see the huge problem with LU's plans. Honestly they have so much ideas that it's difficult to decide which project to start. Just last year with the Commonwealth Games, LU and the city made millions of dollars just for an annual quarter. Now that more facilities are finished, they will make close to double this summer with the games. Then next year, Lord willing, the US junior olympic games (or it will be similiar to that event) will make even more money for the city and the state of Virginia. JLF and the board know what they're doing and they know they can establish their plans at a slow place (just in case if they want to change anything). Not to be rude, but saying that the civic center is dead and LU is making bad decisions shows that you're being a bit impatient. I understand that most here would love to see everything up in the next 2-5 years, but you have to build at pace of population growth. If you read the article, one can tell that the civic center is not completely dead because Jerry said that the center may be build first. Since city officials and everyone involved was taking forever on their landscape and financial studies, LU decided to start their future plans on the campus (that plan is not even finish and look how much was done of the first phase in a short time period!). If you want to truly compare LU to UVA, LU is actually making a faster growth in this city compared to UVA when it was established in Charlottesville 200 years ago( UVA 's total asset is 11.2 billion[ from 1819 onward] and LU's 2 billion [in less than a decade! God is good!]).
Purple Haize wrote:Honest question. Is English your first language?
It is but clearly you're only used to American English. Let me guess, you'll say the're grammatical mishaps and what not? Honestly your comments are not effective and if i ask where the mistakes were, you will not give any specifics like the other time. I'll carry on now.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
It is but clearly you're only used to American English. Let me guess, you'll say the're grammatical mishaps and what not? Honestly your comments are not effective and if i ask where the mistakes were, you will not give any specifics like the other time. I'll carry on now.
I don't think PH meant that with any malice. It's hard to convey that over a forum, but I think he was genuinely curious on your background.
Class of 20Something wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
I don't think PH meant that with any malice. It's hard to convey that over a forum, but I think he was genuinely curious on your background.
None was meant. I was just curious based on the way sentence structure etc was on his post. It is why I even prefaced it be ‘Honest Question’. It would make better interactions if we understood a little of the background since it appears to be different than the majority on the board.
Class of 20Something wrote:I embrace those differences. It helps me understand how someone can view situations differently with their own experiences as a lense.
Yep that’s why I was asking. It’s a difficult to read syntax that may lead to misunderstanding of the point he or she is trying to make.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Good post above Cruzan, explaining expansion at LU.
Some good, but missing a couple of points- huge student debt that has funded our latest growth and the economies in places like Charlottesville have grown much faster in the last five years than we have realized in Lynchburg. It doesn't really matter what times frame you put around it- our economy is not tracking with that of other cities with decent sized educational institutions. Substandard pay is one of those great LU distinctives that probably play a role in this.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]