This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Cider Jim wrote:When the Vines Center was built, it was larger than both University Hall at UVa and Cassell Coliseum at VA Tech.
Size doesn't matter. At least that's what I've been told..... Study
ballcoach15 wrote:My favorite part of expansion is the Softball Stadium.
No surprise there, ballcoach. 8)
Class of 20Something wrote:I think the reason Vines is so frustrating is because I grew up in Charlottesville. I've been to U Hall numerous times and Graduated HS in JPJ it's second year open. Now some may not know, but JPJ was designed by, none other than, VMDO. The Vines is a monument of frustration knowing what kind of world class facility the architecture group can fathom.

I can't pin down a single favorite thing for one simple reason. My inner 5 year old is obsessed with watching construction. I will truly be sad when they've reached the "hospital" and there is nothing left to build on the main campus. Liberty's vision coupled with their unique ability to throw money and people at a project is akin to watching a game of SimCity.

If I had to pin down a single feature, it would be a design feature rather than a building. It isn't complete yet, however. The Campus walk is the feature that will truly transform how students traverse the school. Being able to get from Green(it will always be North to me) to the dorms without crossing a single street is a fantastic design feature and is underrated at the least.
This day can not get here fast enough. Driving around campus all day, every day, will be much nicer when construction is done. But let's be real, there will always be construction on campus.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:When the Vines Center was built, it was larger than both University Hall at UVa and Cassell Coliseum at VA Tech.
Size doesn't matter. At least that's what I've been told..... Study
Whatever makes you feel better...
Sly Fox wrote:My nephews attended a culinary school here in Houston run by legendary French Alain Le Notre (the chef in Ratatouille was based on his father). Most of the public doesn't realize that you can get an incredible meal served by the students for about $20 that would easily go for $60-80 at nearby restaurants. Just checked and HPU doesn't offer a hospitality management major.

1924 Prime Menu

Is there such a major at LU? If not, it should be considered.
thepostman wrote:The thing that sticks out from the live cam is how much an eye sore the Vines really is.

Time for that thing to come on down. Then basically everything from my time at Liberty will be gone.
I'm not sure if you're being serious, but why do you want the Vines to be demolished? It is still an interesting dome in my opinion, although it would be interesting if the dome was see through. Now that would be something even more interesting to look at!
ballcoach15 wrote:Biggest problem I see with Vines Center is the "empty seats", when there's a basketball game in there.
That's why the talks about a new arena is still being discussed since 2014. It honestly makes sense so idk what's stopping them. It's pretty close to the deadline in which the director of construction stated about the tentative arena (2019).
thepostman wrote:I am actually being completely serious. It doesn't fit in with the look of the campus at all and just sticks out like a sore thumb.

There was a planned designed from 2009-10 that was created to renevate the front and back of the Vines. Then in an article of the Roanoke/Lynchburg newsletter, there was a discussion to expand the Vines for more seats for convocation and other events for the future. I'm guessing the idea is still tentative as well.
IM has also tossed around curtains and other solutions to corrale those attending. I think they're torn on the idea after just installing that new underground practice facility and workout room over "Lake Liberty." I would be satisfied if they threw a nice facade on the brick and restructured the golf ball into an octagonal(Jefferson loved his octagons, this keeps the feel consistent on campus) roof with matching material to the surrounding buildings.

I think some apprehension about construction on vines is an uneasy question. If Convo stops for two semesters, does it ever return?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:IM has also tossed around curtains and other solutions to corrale those attending. I think they're torn on the idea after just installing that new underground practice facility and workout room over "Lake Liberty." I would be satisfied if they threw a nice facade on the brick and restructured the golf ball into an octagonal(Jefferson loved his octagons, this keeps the feel consistent on campus) roof with matching material to the surrounding buildings.

I think some apprehension about construction on vines is an uneasy question. If Convo stops for two semesters, does it ever return?
Jefferson also designed plenty of rotundas. Just not quite the giant dome/boob that is the Vines Center.
Class of 20Something wrote: I would be satisfied if they threw a nice facade on the brick and restructured the golf ball into an octagonal (Jefferson loved his octagons, this keeps the feel consistent on campus) roof with matching material to the surrounding buildings.
That's actually a GENIUS idea, since the third TRBC church is an octagon, and an octagon is on the new LU academic seal.

In other news, the concrete wall in front of the new football practice facility is now bricked, and it looks like some signage will be part of that wall.
Cider Jim wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote: I would be satisfied if they threw a nice facade on the brick and restructured the golf ball into an octagonal (Jefferson loved his octagons, this keeps the feel consistent on campus) roof with matching material to the surrounding buildings.
That's actually a GENIUS idea, since the third TRBC church is an octagon, and an octagon is on the new LU academic seal.

In other news, the concrete wall in front of the new football practice facility is now bricked, and it looks like some signage will be part of that wall.

Indeed, I believe that's where it will say Liberty as people arrive on campus. I wonder if they still have that round about with a fountain still in mind? Possibly in the 2020's(visible in the master plan)?
Cider Jim wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, but I think it solves the problem of it sticking out without scrapping it.

I'm trying to think of how quickly they could get that job done realistically. Demo would be much more controlled and precise and not the three day demolition of dorms we have seen. Could they fasten a false roof at the base of the dome during the project to keep water out of the facility? I don't think the project would take terribly long with a clear design in place.

Perhaps a month for demo and 4 or 5 to rebuild the roof? There shouldn't be many interior things to prolong the project. Electrical and data cable would be 2 days max for that kind of job. It isn't like the library or student center with outlets and internet needed everywhere in every room, at every computer. You'd need the score board and lights. A six month start to finish for the roof could be strategically placed so only one semester if Convo is effected and no basketball season.

I've already said on this board, but it bears repeating, my inner 5 year old loves watching this campus. I wish I could sit in on the construction design and planning meetings for the campus. Someone got to perform a rare job, build a pedestrian friendly college campus from scratch.
Class of 20Something wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, but I think it solves the problem of it sticking out without scrapping it.

I'm trying to think of how quickly they could get that job done realistically. Demo would be much more controlled and precise and not the three day demolition of dorms we have seen. Could they fasten a false roof at the base of the dome during the project to keep water out of the facility? I don't think the project would take terribly long with a clear design in place.

Perhaps a month for demo and 4 or 5 to rebuild the roof? There shouldn't be many interior things to prolong the project. Electrical and data cable would be 2 days max for that kind of job. It isn't like the library or student center with outlets and internet needed everywhere in every room, at every computer. You'd need the score board and lights. A six month start to finish for the roof could be strategically placed so only one semester if Convo is effected and no basketball season.

I've already said on this board, but it bears repeating, my inner 5 year old loves watching this campus. I wish I could sit in on the construction design and planning meetings for the campus. Someone got to perform a rare job, build a pedestrian friendly college campus from scratch.
I don't know that it makes sense financially for that type of renovation. No one can argue that it isn't needed, demonstrated by plenty of leaks every time it rains hard. But when you put lipstick on a pig you still have a pig. On the flip side, they did just finish refinishing the floor on the concourse. It's a type of epoxy based finish that should take the use and abuse of three convos a week better than the paint did.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:LU's Architect and/or Planner has to be one of best in the business.
When I was in school, the running joke was how cheaply and quickly and poorly thought out each new construction project was taken on. Major props to Jerry Jr for taking his time and getting this major expansion right. (except the vines :mrgreen: )
I drove around the campus yesterday and was looking at the IPF and the grading near the new sign at the intersection. The grading is reflecting the drawings of a ramp turning towards the stadium. I hadn't considered that could become a major entrance to the stadium for everyone parking on the north side of the stadium. It got me thinking about logistics once inside the stadium though. Currently, there is no passage from one side of the stadium to the other unless you walk all the way past the south end zone and back up the baptist side. Could a pedestrian walkway over the FOC be a feasible option in the future?
Class of 20Something wrote:I drove around the campus yesterday and was looking at the IPF and the grading near the new sign at the intersection. The grading is reflecting the drawings of a ramp turning towards the stadium. I hadn't considered that could become a major entrance to the stadium for everyone parking on the north side of the stadium. It got me thinking about logistics once inside the stadium though. Currently, there is no passage from one side of the stadium to the other unless you walk all the way past the south end zone and back up the baptist side. Could a pedestrian walkway over the FOC be a feasible option in the future?
I believe it could be a possibility based on the sketches which was mostly about the indoor fottball facility. This also explains the idea of rebuilding the FOC plus the columns that are also visible in the indoor facility sketches. All in all this is going to be interesting in the upcoming years.

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]