This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I will say that i believe Lu's not finished with VMDO. Even though Jerry Jr. and the board is for the Jeffersonian style architecture, they still want it to have more of a modern style as well.

I wonder if anything will be added near the vehicular bridge on the East campus side? A lot of trees were cut down, so will there be a car garage of buildings there? I don't see anything being done on the Master plan, however I wouldn't be surprised if they add some projects on there. Also, does anyone know if they're considering adding anything to the front of Vines or have they done that already?
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I will say that i believe Lu's not finished with VMDO. Even though Jerry Jr. and the board is for the Jeffersonian style architecture, they still want it to have more of a modern style as well.

I wonder if anything will be added near the vehicular bridge on the East campus side? A lot of trees were cut down, so will there be a car garage of buildings there? I don't see anything being done on the Master plan, however I wouldn't be surprised if they add some projects on there. Also, does anyone know if they're considering adding anything to the front of Vines or have they done that already?

The trees were cut down to make room for a new extension of Liberty Mountain Drive. Instead of it's current configuration that turns left and follows along the lacrosse fieldstone right to access zone 4 parking, the road will continue straight paralleling 460 and meet the bridge that crosses the railroad behind Chilis. By the looks of it I wouldn't think the asphalt is too far off as it looks to be about ready. I don't believe any buildings are currently planned for this area.

South of the bridge behind Chilis, near the Mountain Lake area, has also been cleared. I believe that may be one of the graduate school buildings but haven't heard anything official.
ballcoach15 wrote:What is going at very top of mountain, just before Liberty Ridge ? I notice a lot of grading up there.
The most recent of the master plan show graduate school buildings for law, business, and religion/seminary but in no particular order.
LUAlum1215 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I will say that i believe Lu's not finished with VMDO. Even though Jerry Jr. and the board is for the Jeffersonian style architecture, they still want it to have more of a modern style as well.

The trees were cut down to make room for a new extension of Liberty Mountain Drive. Instead of it's current configuration that turns left and follows along the lacrosse fieldstone right to access zone 4 parking, the road will continue straight paralleling 460 and meet the bridge that crosses the railroad behind Chilis. By the looks of it I wouldn't think the asphalt is too far off as it looks to be about ready. I don't believe any buildings are currently planned for this area.

South of the bridge behind Chilis, near the Mountain Lake area, has also been cleared. I believe that may be one of the graduate school buildings but haven't heard anything official.
New to the board and already contributing!

They have a gas line that needs to go in on that road. They are digging the trench for the line and that should be the last hindrance on that project being completed.

Master plan also shows a roundabout on the east side of the bridge.
Class of 20Something wrote:Was just looking at this image and noticed something small that makes a huge difference. There is an off ramp from 29N/460E straight into the middle of East Campus. With the idea of two parking garages on East, this could ease some of the pregame traffic. It also has a better angle of our mystery tower by Demoss and Vines.

https://www.vmdo.com/img/project-featur ... an_1_A.JPG
This one, LUAlum? I don't know if pegging it straight into the bridge roundabout would be good for traffic.
From the article:
Intended to increase access to LU’s campus and help ease traffic at the Candlers Mountain Road and U.S. 460/U.S. 29 interchanges, the project will add a new exit and entrance ramp halfway between those two exits and feature a roundabout where the ramp would connect with Liberty Mountain Drive.
New entrance as well. That drawing you link does not show a roundabout at all. Presumably a new location/design.
flamehunter wrote:From the article:
Intended to increase access to LU’s campus and help ease traffic at the Candlers Mountain Road and U.S. 460/U.S. 29 interchanges, the project will add a new exit and entrance ramp halfway between those two exits and feature a roundabout where the ramp would connect with Liberty Mountain Drive.
New entrance as well. That drawing you link does not show a roundabout at all. Presumably a new location/design.
The ramp TO 460 is already there, it would be interesting if they scrapped it and made a new one with this project, but the off ramp FROM 460 is pictured and does not currently exist.

It's partially concealed by trees, but there is most definitely a roundabout drawn there.

It also fits the bill of being halfway between the US29N Business and Candlers Mountain exits.

That entrance and exit will help ALOT once we start drawing FBS crowds here too. Especially since they still have at least one parking garage planned for East Campus.
Yep, you are right about the roundabout, missed it on my first look. That would make the most sense, using the existing on ramp. The article leads you to think there will be a new ramp but they've wrong before.
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamehunter wrote:From the article:
The ramp TO 460 is already there, it would be interesting if they scrapped it and made a new one with this project, but the off ramp FROM 460 is pictured and does not currently exist.

It's partially concealed by trees, but there is most definitely a roundabout drawn there.

It also fits the bill of being halfway between the US29N Business and Candlers Mountain exits.

That entrance and exit will help ALOT once we start drawing FBS crowds here too. Especially since they still have at least one parking garage planned for East Campus.

From the master plan and sketches, it exhibits two car garages. The first one will be behind or connected to the arena(where Doc's is located) and the other behind what I believe will be another building on the other side of east campus.
Class of 20Something wrote:It looks like they're wrapping up Commons III. I am really interested to see how they end up grading everything out where Commons IV is going. One of the cameras has already pointed to the old Dorm 6(?)
You are correct; it's the main Common III camera. Common IV will be quite different and may take a little longer to finish because of the undergound/basement parking.
Class of 20Something wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Was just looking at this image and noticed something small that makes a huge difference. There is an off ramp from 29N/460E straight into the middle of East Campus. With the idea of two parking garages on East, this could ease some of the pregame traffic. It also has a better angle of our mystery tower by Demoss and Vines.

https://www.vmdo.com/img/project-featur ... an_1_A.JPG
This one, LUAlum? I don't know if pegging it straight into the bridge roundabout would be good for traffic.
Yep. That would seem to be the one. Thanks.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:It looks like they're wrapping up Commons III. I am really interested to see how they end up grading everything out where Commons IV is going. One of the cameras has already pointed to the old Dorm 6(?)
You are correct; it's the main Common III camera. Common IV will be quite different and may take a little longer to finish because of the undergound/basement parking.
I spoke with one of the superintendents of the Commons projects a few weeks ago. He told me that Commons IV will be the same number of stories as CIII, but the entire ground level will be a new dining hall. The kitchen will be one level below ground level and use massive freight elevators to move food and equipment back and forth. There are no plans for an underground garage or parking.
LUAlum1215 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
I spoke with one of the superintendents of the Commons projects a few weeks ago. He told me that Commons IV will be the same number of stories as CIII, but the entire ground level will be a new dining hall. The kitchen will be one level below ground level and use massive freight elevators to move food and equipment back and forth. There are no plans for an underground garage or parking.
Goodness we have needed your insight here.
LUAlum1215 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Ohh that's good to know
LUAlum1215 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

Just wanted to provide some clarification to this. The dining hall is now going to be a stand alone building. Commons 4 will connect to Commons 3 to basically make a squarish W.
If this is true, then it will make sense. A one story cafeteria inside of a residential building seems kind of small. This will be for the next few decades and I'm sure the on campus population will increase over 20k. There's no way a one story cafeteria will fit all those kids, even with the other feeding options available. I just hope that the cafeteria will be way better than VT and JMU's cafeteria.
cruzan_flame13 wrote: I just hope that the cafeteria will be way better than VT and JMU's cafeteria.
No worries there. LU has one of the best food services in the country!

http://www.liberty.edu/alumni/alumni-news/?MID=103414
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:They're gonna need a prime steakhouse on campus if they want to compete with HPU. :shock:

https://1924prime.highpoint.edu
That's pretty cool. 'Magic Meal' was funny
It's a clever gimmic, not unlike having a year round ski slope on campus. My first thought when I saw it was to ask how many times a year the students actually get to go there without paying. Once a week is pretty impressive actually, but as nice as it may be, I doubt the cost per meal comes close to the $50 they charge if the "magic meal" is not used. The thing I found most humorous was the effort to portray it as an educational experience.
My nephews attended a culinary school here in Houston run by legendary French Alain Le Notre (the chef in Ratatouille was based on his father). Most of the public doesn't realize that you can get an incredible meal served by the students for about $20 that would easily go for $60-80 at nearby restaurants. Just checked and HPU doesn't offer a hospitality management major.

1924 Prime Menu

cruzan_flame13 wrote:If this is true, then it will make sense. A one story cafeteria inside of a residential building seems kind of small. This will be for the next few decades and I'm sure the on campus population will increase over 20k. There's no way a one story cafeteria will fit all those kids, even with the other feeding options available. I just hope that the cafeteria will be way better than VT and JMU's cafeteria.

It is
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]