This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

On Wednesday, I noticed that there was a new 9-feet tall metal sculpture of a flame on campus on the corner of the lawn closest to the Freedom Tower, but by Friday it was removed. :dontgetit
I didn’t know where to put this but I just saw some awful news posted. Since it’s public now I’ll share it here.

The voice of the Lady Flames and the stalwart of 99.9 was let go after all these years. Talk about a dude who bled LU and was Liberty to the core. I’m sure he found it more shocking than I did, but I find it unbelievable. I am a huge fan when good things happen to good people. I’m also a very angry person when bad things happen to good people. This would fall in that second category
Purple Haize wrote: August 7th, 2020, 6:31 am I didn’t know where to put this but I just saw some awful news posted. Since it’s public now I’ll share it here.

The voice of the Lady Flames and the stalwart of 99.9 was let go after all these years. Talk about a dude who bled LU and was Liberty to the core. I’m sure he found it more shocking than I did, but I find it unbelievable. I am a huge fan when good things happen to good people. I’m also a very angry person when bad things happen to good people. This would fall in that second category
I saw that this morning, super bummed out by that. As many on this board know, I spent most of my college years at Liberty working for 90.9 in some shape or form and to see he was let go, especially the way he was, made it even worse.
thepostman wrote: August 7th, 2020, 7:26 am
Purple Haize wrote: August 7th, 2020, 6:31 am I didn’t know where to put this but I just saw some awful news posted. Since it’s public now I’ll share it here.

I saw that this morning, super bummed out by that. As many on this board know, I spent most of my college years at Liberty working for 90.9 in some shape or form and to see he was let go, especially the way he was, made it even worse.
I made several guest appearances. One time I even gave out the answers to my quiz the next class. Just to see if anyone was listening
Cider Jim wrote: July 25th, 2020, 8:08 pm On Wednesday, I noticed that there was a new 9-feet tall metal sculpture of a flame on campus on the corner of the lawn closest to the Freedom Tower, but by Friday it was removed. :dontgetit
I've never quoted myself before (like Ballcoach does), but the new Flaming Statue is BACK. :shock:
Cider Jim wrote: August 7th, 2020, 7:44 am
Cider Jim wrote: July 25th, 2020, 8:08 pm On Wednesday, I noticed that there was a new 9-feet tall metal sculpture of a flame on campus on the corner of the lawn closest to the Freedom Tower, but by Friday it was removed. :dontgetit
I've never quoted myself before (like Ballcoach does), but the new Flaming Statue is BACK. :shock:
I'd really like to see how this flaming statue looks like and where are they planning to place it.
By BlueBlood
They made lots of progress on Vines last week - the biggest noticeable push in weeks. It seems to have slowed back down a bit this week. Unfortunately, the best camera view of Vines (South view from the Tower) has not been broadcasting for a couple weeks now.

The parking garage looks to be almost done.

They just started putting up steel at the indoor tennis facility - so lots of visible progress there.
By tyndal23
Would love for LU to cap the South End of the Lawn with a perfect replica of:

https://www.nps.gov/linc/learn/historyc ... statue.htm

Visitors pay to tour in order to payback costs ( over a very long time ) . Would be a “must see”for all visiting team fans and a bit of a destination attraction for semi locals. But also a Powerful tribute and non controversial political tribute to the founder of a certain party. Fits our architecture and would light up gorgeous at night. Just the thing JR would have sprung for...dang it.
I like the flame statue near the arena entrance on the lawn. I hope we have a few more around campus especially if we continue expansions. I say no to the statue of Lincoln :lol: .

Edit: Lincoln is also not the founder of that party that is not mentioned lol.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 4:13 pm I hope we have a few more [statues] around campus especially if we continue expansions.
We have! Closer to the Freedom Tower are two more metal statues:
1. a smaller version of the Flame statue
2. an old school Liberty Bell statue
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 4:13 pm I like the flame statue near the arena entrance on the lawn. I hope we have a few more around campus especially if we continue expansions. I say no to the statue of Lincoln :lol: .

Edit: Lincoln is also not the founder of that party that is not mentioned lol.
Father of the Republican Party. There fixed it.
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote: November 9th, 2020, 3:13 pm
Finally they're doing this! Hopefully they'll build the school of engineering and schools of Nursing and Exercise Science afterwards or during as well. Unfortunately I can't really see the photos because I do not have Facebook haha
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]