This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
I'm also glad to hear business is on the list for a free standing building. I think that the business school is a great investment seeing as the alumni should be in a good position to donate in a few years down the road..
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Yea, we'll be looking for checks from you and BrysOn in the near future. 8)
hey, I like my wood paneling and tin can on top of a brick dorm... dorm. but i am glad to have a normal window now.

but seriously... new dorms would be cool as long as cheap room and board dorms remain. the cheaper the housing option the better.
By jjbeaty
Registration Days Posts
Any possible plans for a free-standing School of Communication? I am terribly embarrassed as a graduate student and former undergrad when I go to Lynchburg College---- Lynchburg College ----and see their School of Communication building and then compare our....half-of-a-floor... I'd be even willing to make a major donation in the future to see something like that.

Communication is everything when you think about it... Good universities are ran on excellent communication skills, politicians will campaigns based off of communication skills, customer service in business is geared by communication skills, even great business leaders need excellent communication skills- John Maxwell talks about that ALL the time, and even wrote a rather new book on that topic. Nearly every job posting requires "excellent oral, written, interpersonal & organizational communication skills"- just look at www.theladders.com for the top jobs... it's all about communication... Doctors need to have excellent communication- health communication should be another major offered... Especially now that the healthcare system is messed up--it will require excellent communication.... just saying.

Hopefully that will give some food-for-thought regarding the need for an exceptional school of communication...That's my two cents.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jjbeaty wrote: Good universities are run on excellent communication skills.
FIFY :oops:
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Communication skills and the Communication program/school are two very different things. That wasn't a very good plug for their own building. Try again.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Communication skills and the Communication program/school are two very different things. That wasn't a very good plug for their own building. Try again.
My first thought was that if that's what we're producing out of that program then we definitely need something. Maybe not a building but something.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Easy now, fellas. jjbeaty has the right mindset and I agree that other majors could use more communications training in their tracks ... ESPECIALLY the business & religion degrees. But that is a topic for another day.

I've been out of the loop in Dallas for a few days and it is great to come back to this discussion. It also makes this Old Hag smile when hearing campus beautification discussed when remembering the spartan conditions of campus back in my day.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ESPECIALLY the business & religion degrees. But that is a topic for another day.
Interesting comment, since I hold a BS in communications and an MBA.

Also, I think jjbeaty went the interpersonal communication route with his degree, so forgive him please. However, a freestanding School of Communication (with art gallery open to the public for the VCAR students) would be great.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I make a living working with both of those majors (and engineering guys as well). So I recognize the woefully inadequate communications training received by most in those field. Communications is a key component in personal opportunities for growth inside of corporate structure no matter what your job may be. For better or worse, communication is a key determining factor in corporate advancement.

But I don't want to derail an already great thread.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:School of Communication (with art gallery open to the public for the VCAR students) would be great.
Not free standing, but VCAR does have its own art gallery, as of last year.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
ESPECIALLY the business & religion degrees. But that is a topic for another day.
Interesting comment, since I hold a BS in communications and an MBA.

Also, I think jjbeaty went the interpersonal communication route with his degree, so forgive him please. However, a freestanding School of Communication (with art gallery open to the public for the VCAR students) would be great.
As well as adequate production and recording/editing space for both audio and video...that would be a major upgrade
jjbeaty wrote:I'd be even willing to make a major donation in the future to see something like that.

And I can help with that! jjbeaty School of Communication!!!! :D
By jjbeaty
Registration Days Posts
Just to clarify----

I wrote that post while I was extremely tired. If I communicated poorly, that is my fault! Please accept my apology. Next time I will make sure not to post anything while I am tired as I notice that everyone gets on each other's back when one discusses something on here.

More tomorrow... When I am not so sleepy!
:D
jjbeaty wrote:Just to clarify----

I wrote that post while I was extremely tired. If I communicated poorly, that is my fault! Please accept my apology. Next time I will make sure not to post anything while I am tired as I notice that everyone gets on each other's back when one discusses something on here.

More tomorrow... When I am not so sleepy!
:D
Don't worry, you still out-grammared 95% of the posters on here. (CJ- is that a word?)
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
No kidding, I go through and read my posts and sometimes can only shake my head. I really need to start proof reading or something....I promise I can hold an intelligent conversation and use proper grammar in real life lol....just dont type it out very well.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BUMP

We heard today in the CFAW parents' luncheon where the new free standing library will be located on campus: in the present location of the Schilling Center (sorry, SCAR).
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I wonder if there are plans on making a better practice facility for the basketball team, other then that the Schilling has kind of served its purpose...the only real memory I have of that place was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to, Five Iron Frenzy farewell tour...I am sure the older guys on the board may have a harder time letting the place go though
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I wonder if there are plans on making a better practice facility for the basketball team, other then that the Schilling has kind of served its purpose...the only real memory I have of that place was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to, Five Iron Frenzy farewell tour...I am sure the older guys on the board may have a harder time letting the place go though
Was an awesome concert. Copeland played there several times too, if I remember correctly.

Will be a sad day to see Schilling go but excited about where the campus is heading.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I wonder if there are plans on making a better practice facility for the basketball team, other then that the Schilling has kind of served its purpose...the only real memory I have of that place was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to, Five Iron Frenzy farewell tour...I am sure the older guys on the board may have a harder time letting the place go though
If the Schilling is going to be converted to a library, where is the team going to practice? I'm thinking a practice facility has to be in the works, and based on recent past projects, it should be a huge upgrade.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]