This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
AATL wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:36 am The current indoor golf facility is pretty small. With the land Liberty has at their disposal, I'm also surprised they don't have their own practice course.
Would be nice to have it near the lake. Might have interest later from firms to build neighborhoods near by (if there's any empty lots nearby). These projects can definitely take these programs to the next level. Might see an introduction of a women's golf program in the near future.
By Ill flame
Humble_Opinion wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:30 pm
If online goes away, you can kiss any and all new projects goodbye. I understand the sentiment regarding censorship, but what you're talking about isn't possible unless you sell the online program to an outside party. Also, not sure I understand the comments about LU needing to show it's serious and building a world class university, etc. They've invested well over $1B in new campus construction in the past 15 years, and they continue to build additional facilities. In addition, the technology, materials and design put into these facilities are the definition of world class. There's a clear difference between what you see at most colleges/universities on the east coast and what you see at LU. Where I think we can do better is on the recruitment side and our Academic programs as a whole. For some reason we have opted for quantity over quality in regard to students and academic programs. Expanding to 50K is that philosophy on steroids. I can see 20-25K at most, but 50K makes zero sense to me.
14 of the big tens 16 members will have at least 30,000 students and they are some of the most prestigious schools in the country. It's actually pretty normal at the P5 level to be a huge school with very good academics. Luckily for us our $2.1 billion endowment would be ranked around 32 among P5s, so many of them have no more resources than we do even if LUO disappeared.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:01 pm
AATL wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:36 am The current indoor golf facility is pretty small. With the land Liberty has at their disposal, I'm also surprised they don't have their own practice course.
Would be nice to have it near the lake. Might have interest later from firms to build neighborhoods near by (if there's any empty lots nearby). These projects can definitely take these programs to the next level. Might see an introduction of a women's golf program in the near future.
Women’s golf has been tried before. Maybe again?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but I always assumed they would build a course up on the mountain some place like Camp Hydaway or the Equestrian Center. I agree that even a Par 3 course would attract senior home buyers if included in a development. All the major colleges have their own signature courses down here in Texas these days. Even Sam Houston recently added one.
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
The two college courses I have played in 20222 were amazing! I played The River Course ar VT and Big Blue at UK. I really loved the Big Blue course! The VT course is a Pete Dye course and they always keep you honest. I also played Kearney Hill which is harder than the river course. I truly hope LU gets their own course at some point!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 24th, 2023, 7:07 pm Forgive my ignorance, but I always assumed they would build a course up on the mountain some place like Camp Hydaway or the Equestrian Center. I agree that even a Par 3 course would attract senior home buyers if included in a development. All the major colleges have their own signature courses down here in Texas these days. Even Sam Houston recently added one.
There are several golf courses in the area that are struggling financially. LU might just think about buying one of them
Cider Jim, ballcoach15, socal_flame and 1 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
soccer7 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:48 am Which one do you think they would be interested in buying?
I have no idea but I can think of 2 or 3 that would sell if the price is right. Maybe another 1 or 2 that coulee be talked into it. Building a course is expensive. Buying and redoing is less expensive
ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Does LU still own Treasure Island? Is it big enough for a Par-3 golf course? :dontgetit
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 24th, 2023, 7:07 pm All the major colleges have their own signature courses down here in Texas these days.
I guess we will have to have our own course to be on par with them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:07 pm
Sly Fox wrote: January 24th, 2023, 7:07 pm All the major colleges have their own signature courses down here in Texas these days.
I guess we will have to have our own course to be on par with them.
I see what you did there
By Touchdownmaker
Buy an existing golf course (not a par 3), pay a decent golf architect to make it desirable for team play as well as outside play…..have a respectable clubhouse that could be used for special events…..you could probably break even…..which would be a win! It would improve our image and golf recruiting and another perk for students/alumni.
Create something we would be proud of.
tyndal23, Sly Fox liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Chippy wrote: February 19th, 2023, 7:55 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:48 pm
Chippy wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:37 pm Isn't this the building they have in the industrial park off 460W?
No, this building would have been built on the south side of campus.
It says it's a School of Engineering on the sign!?
https://www.liberty.edu/news/2017/02/02 ... ch-campus/
What I posted was from 2013-2014 before they made that decision to established a campus (your link).
By AATL
They have announced/scrapped/announced/scrapped plans for the School of Engineering more times than I can count. As it stands now, I believe Bedford is the Center for Engineering Research: https://www.liberty.edu/engineering/cere/

This is the most recent announcement I recall about the on-campus facility: https://www.liberty.edu/news/2019/02/28 ... this-fall/

Of course, this was 2019 and no such construction began. I believe the VMDO architects link was an earlier plan that was supposed to live on the current band practice field and feature a working garage for mechanic trade studies.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]