This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

cruzan_flame13 wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:Just look at aerial photo section of LU website - there simply isn’t room on South Side of School of Business - has to be to the North. If it is North where the bookstore is - looks like there is room for an additional building of similar size due west ( computer science ? - which was originally going to be a larger shared building with school of business )
I mentioned that earlier on this thread and I was called the millennial Ballcoach. guess folks don't like to dig into what LU has given to us and just call folks names. It's all good though lol.

It does make sense to place the building on the north side but this is Liberty. If they do continue with the idea of a school for computer Science ( which was planned to be part of the school of Engineering), it would be a good idea to have them both near each other. I wonder if they'll place anything in the parking spaces behind Doc's now since the arena is now connected with Vines.
Oops -meant part of Engineering not School of Bus - old rendering that combined both is on architects website and they had it south of the circle.
tyndal23 wrote:No - it isn’t in Demoss parking lot - it is where the bookstore and parking is now - north of school of business and right across from stadium main entrance.
The planned location for SOE is south of Business, across from DeMoss. If you were to look down on that area from a birds eye view, the wedge that is created between the new road and the old road, that is the site. Old University Blvd will never reopen, and the remaining part from LU Drive to DeMoss was renamed Arthur S. DeMoss Drive a few weeks/months ago. The footprint of the new SOE will be the grass/mulch bed and old University Blvd south of DeMoss Lot entrance. Sorry that that is more confusing that it should be, I’m tired.

I hate to ballcoach it, but this is per sources a week ago. It’s Liberty and things change 27 times before they happen, but the most recent plan was across from DeMoss, not behind the bookstore.
LUAlum1215 wrote:The planned location for SOE is south of Business, across from DeMoss. If you were to look down on that area from a birds eye view, the wedge that is created between the new road and the old road, that is the site. Old University Blvd will never reopen, and the remaining part from LU Drive to DeMoss was renamed Arthur S. DeMoss Drive a few weeks/months ago. The footprint of the new SOE will be the grass/mulch bed and old University Blvd south of DeMoss Lot entrance. Sorry that that is more confusing that it should be, I’m tired.

I hate to ballcoach it, but this is per sources a week ago. It’s Liberty and things change 27 times before they happen, but the most recent plan was across from DeMoss, not behind the bookstore.
That is pretty much the alignment that I initially thought based upon the picture. It also fits what the article said "across from DeMoss". I probably got a little carried away by saying that it seems like it almost needs to built in the DeMoss parking lot to fit between DeMoss and the highway. It still seems like a tight fit to me, but I have pretty much loved the style and layout of all the new buildings, so I'm pretty confident that they will make this work just fine. Plus, if this leave DeMoss looking overly-obstructed/off-centered, they will just give DeMoss a face lift to better suit the new layout (which might not be a bad thing anyway).

Do you know if they are trying to create an academic lawn area between the new buildings and DeMoss? it almost seems like they could. Kind of a pocket lawn.
LUAlum1215 wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:No - it isn’t in Demoss parking lot - it is where the bookstore and parking is now - north of school of business and right across from stadium main entrance.
The planned location for SOE is south of Business, across from DeMoss. If you were to look down on that area from a birds eye view, the wedge that is created between the new road and the old road, that is the site. Old University Blvd will never reopen, and the remaining part from LU Drive to DeMoss was renamed Arthur S. DeMoss Drive a few weeks/months ago. The footprint of the new SOE will be the grass/mulch bed and old University Blvd south of DeMoss Lot entrance. Sorry that that is more confusing that it should be, I’m tired.

Even though I was confused as to location, apparently I was right from the beginning.

BlueBlood wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:The planned location for SOE is south of Business, across from DeMoss. If you were to look down on that area from a birds eye view, the wedge that is created between the new road and the old road, that is the site. Old University Blvd will never reopen, and the remaining part from LU Drive to DeMoss was renamed Arthur S. DeMoss Drive a few weeks/months ago. The footprint of the new SOE will be the grass/mulch bed and old University Blvd south of DeMoss Lot entrance. Sorry that that is more confusing that it should be, I’m tired.

That is pretty much the alignment that I initially thought based upon the picture. It also fits what the article said "across from DeMoss". I probably got a little carried away by saying that it seems like it almost needs to built in the DeMoss parking lot to fit between DeMoss and the highway. It still seems like a tight fit to me, but I have pretty much loved the style and layout of all the new buildings, so I'm pretty confident that they will make this work just fine. Plus, if this leave DeMoss looking overly-obstructed/off-centered, they will just give DeMoss a face lift to better suit the new layout (which might not be a bad thing anyway).

Do you know if they are trying to create an academic lawn area between the new buildings and DeMoss? it almost seems like they could. Kind of a pocket lawn.
My understanding is that at least some of the parking lot will remain for ADA purposes. I’m not sure how much room will be left for any type of lawn. I’d expect the grass on the SE corner of DeMoss to stay and some between SOE and SOB.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Why worry...we can't even finish a traffic circle these days. Plans will change before ground is broken.
Are you referring to the new circle/460 interchange on East Campus?
That would be correct, sir.
rogers3 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Why worry...we can't even finish a traffic circle these days. Plans will change before ground is broken.
Are you referring to the new circle/460 interchange on East Campus?
That would be correct, sir.
That’s a state project, not LU. Thus it’s taking forever. I can’t tell you how many times I drive through there each day and see 2 guys working and 10 watching.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:
That’s a state project, not LU. Thus it’s taking forever. I can’t tell you how many times I drive through there each day and see 2 guys working and 10 watching.
Wrong- LU is running that show. If you want to see how the state does it, go look at the Timberlake Rd exit ramp/traffic circle. The bulk of that job started about the same as the LU project and has been completed for quite a while. LU has had more issues with completion as of late. Another slow project is the access road to the Odd Fellows ramp...another LU road project.
ballcoach15 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:

Even though I was confused as to location, apparently I was right from the beginning.

BallCoach - Ask your sources if Williams Stadium main gate will get the 2 Flames burning on top - Iconic and loved it - then they didn’t show up - get us the scoop...plans scrapped or coming soon?
Site plan has been applied for for the new School of Engineering Building and it is proposed to fit between DeMoss and the School of Business. I personally don't like it, seems like a very tight fit in that area with the new arena, DeMoss, and the School of Business. Will also make for some awkward angles with DeMoss and block the facade of DeMoss and fountain area from the highway, but maybe that's the goal?

https://etrakit.lynchburgva.gov/viewAtt ... 5044032722
I haven't had a drafting class since 1976, but does it look like the new engineering building will be located where the DeMoss and School of Religion parking lot is?
By Old Red
I agree with you Cider. I worked as a land surveyor for about 4 years before becoming a student at LU. I know that doesn’t make me an expert, but the plans sure look convincing.
I think they’re gonna need to move quite a bit of dirt, & reroute the road some to make this construction work. Guess they’re just trying to concentrate the academic buildings as much as possible.
By Logic
DeMoss is an albatross. Thank you JLFJR and Dan Deter for wanting to cover it up from 460. Would you rather see the front of the School of Business / Engineering or DeMoss?

Hate to admit it, but aesthetics matter when it comes to prospective students and “campus feel.” DeMoss served us well when times were tough and cost /sq ft was front and center. We could sweep a lot under the rug or pack it in the closet if you will...now that times have changed, let’s make it functional...AND look incredible.

Just as with top athletes, the best and brightest students are drawn to superior educational facilities as well. DeMoss doesn’t serve that purpose any longer - the new educational facilities certainly do.
Logic wrote:DeMoss is an albatross. Thank you JLFJR and Dan Deter for wanting to cover it up from 460. Would you rather see the front of the School of Business / Engineering or DeMoss?

Hate to admit it, but aesthetics matter when it comes to prospective students and “campus feel.” DeMoss served us well when times were tough and cost /sq ft was front and center. We could sweep a lot under the rug or pack it in the closet if you will...now that times have changed, let’s make it functional...AND look incredible.

Just as with top athletes, the best and brightest students are drawn to superior educational facilities as well. DeMoss doesn’t serve that purpose any longer - the new educational facilities certainly do.
DeMoss is gorgeous compared to the Vines. Let's do something about that.
flamehunter wrote:
Logic wrote:DeMoss is an albatross. Thank you JLFJR and Dan Deter for wanting to cover it up from 460. Would you rather see the front of the School of Business / Engineering or DeMoss?

DeMoss is gorgeous compared to the Vines. Let's do something about that.
Imagine if the dome is replaced with a glass dome ceiling. Of course it will not be just typical glass but materials that contain alumina:

https://www.popsci.com/super-glass-is-s ... than-steel

Just a thought.
ballcoach15 wrote:I still think the most impressive building on campus is the football indoor practice facility. :football
Always and still thought that would have been the best place to put a new arena / “vines center/ fake civic center. It’s such a central point in the campus. Great ingress/egress lots of eyeballs on it. Instead it’s a hollow shell. It’s impressive no doubt. I just would have put it elsewhere
This probably just means that DeMoss will be getting a facelift to bring it into conformity with the buildings around it. I mean, look what they did on the back side (admittedly with more room to work with).
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Imagine if the dome is replaced with a glass dome ceiling. Of course it will not be just typical glass but materials that contain alumina:

https://www.popsci.com/super-glass-is-s ... than-steel

Just a thought.
Funny enought, I just read an article the other day about the new Carrier Dome roof. It said that SU considered possibly making the roof more transparent, but that studies showed it would be too bright and cause glare.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-adds-commitment-[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]