This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I'll say this to all the people upset about the school's "unlimited resources" and what not.

If I won the Powerball and had say...$200M after taxes to spend, I wouldn't go spending every last penny of it. I would still make a budget and then make sure to live within that budget because if ever a time comes when my financial situation changes again, I won't be left high and dry. If the school wants to protect its financial viability in the long tern, even with "more money than they know what to do with", while decisions to cut/close some things are disappointing, I at least respect their willingness to operate with some sense of financial responsibility.
BJWilliams wrote:I'll say this to all the people upset about the school's "unlimited resources" and what not.

If I won the Powerball and had say...$200M after taxes to spend, I wouldn't go spending every last penny of it. I would still make a budget and then make sure to live within that budget because if ever a time comes when my financial situation changes again, I won't be left high and dry. If the school wants to protect its financial viability in the long tern, even with "more money than they know what to do with", while decisions to cut/close some things are disappointing, I at least respect their willingness to operate with some sense of financial responsibility.
So budget, what 100k-200k? but blow millions in d1 athletics and millions in fbs football? great logic!

maybe they should consider adding a school of agriculture because there are a few nice paying jobs in that field.
ballah09 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I'll say this to all the people upset about the school's "unlimited resources" and what not.

So budget, what 100k-200k? but blow millions in d1 athletics and millions in fbs football? great logic!

maybe they should consider adding a school of agriculture because there are a few nice paying jobs in that field.
Was it Ben Franklin who said something about being 'Penny wise and Pound foolish'?

Anyways BJ your Lotto analogy isn't very good. It would be if you were getting $200 million a year and had to spend $199 million a year or else you wouldn't get as much next year. (Meaning LU would lose their Tax Exempt status )
Considering how much it costs to run a full scholarship D1 program (including FBS football) and all the things that come with that I wouldn't sell that short
BJWilliams wrote:Considering how much it costs to run a full scholarship D1 program (including FBS football) and all the things that come with that I wouldn't sell that short
:dontgetit
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Why not just give the farm to Thomas Road to supplement ministries to feed the homeless?

Also, I get the farm doesn't "make," money - but how much money is saved by sourcing some of your own food in house?
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Considering how much it costs to run a full scholarship D1 program (including FBS football) and all the things that come with that I wouldn't sell that short
ballah is saying that we are basically throwing money away by spending millions on the athletic programs...funding scholarships, purchasing and maintaining uniforms and equipment, day to day operations and maintenance of facilities, insurance for athletes, paying coaches (head and assistant) and administrators and support staff, travel to away games and competitions, building and upgrading facilities...there is a LOT that goes into running a D1 level athletics program, and you can only cut costs so many ways (you worked for athletics at one point if I heard correctly so you have some idea to that end)...I can understand wanting some return on that level of investment, but it's not as simple as saying "oh we don't have a bunch of wins and championships so all they do is waste money" or something like that.
BJWilliams wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
ballah is saying that we are basically throwing money away by spending millions on the athletic programs...funding scholarships, purchasing and maintaining uniforms and equipment, day to day operations and maintenance of facilities, insurance for athletes, paying coaches (head and assistant) and administrators and support staff, travel to away games and competitions, building and upgrading facilities...there is a LOT that goes into running a D1 level athletics program, and you can only cut costs so many ways (you worked for athletics at one point if I heard correctly so you have some idea to that end)...I can understand wanting some return on that level of investment, but it's not as simple as saying "oh we don't have a bunch of wins and championships so all they do is waste money" or something like that.
Yeah. I understand what you are saying but that's not what he is saying
BuryYourDuke wrote:A successful FBS football program would be worth more $$ in exposure and publicity to the university than any ads they could buy. The "it loses money" argument is short sighted.
Good post Duke.

Football is the Number 1 exposure . I was at an education conference in Hampton a few years ago. The Speaker said:

"the most important person on campus is the Head football Coach"
BuryYourDuke wrote:A successful FBS football program would be worth more $$ in exposure and publicity to the university than any ads they could buy. The "it loses money" argument is short sighted.
That's a loaded statement
Define 'Successful'
Depends where and how you place your other Ad dollars

Don't misunderstand me. I get putting your Athletic program under a Marketing and Advertising expense at LU. But what about those (most Big FBS schools) that must be self sufficient?
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
Good post Duke.

Football is the Number 1 exposure . I was at an education conference in Hampton a few years ago. The Speaker said:

Don't forget the few instances where basketball accomplishes the same purpose, at a much lower cost.
ALUmnus wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:
Good post Duke.

Don't forget the few instances where basketball accomplishes the same purpose, at a much lower cost.
I can think of several Hoops coach who carry more weight than FB coaches
ATrain wrote:Why not just give the farm to Thomas Road to supplement ministries to feed the homeless?

Also, I get the farm doesn't "make," money - but how much money is saved by sourcing some of your own food in house?
It's highly possible that the church would not want to take on a $250,000 a year project that needs constant staffing.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Did I miss something about the farm? Where did that come up with not making money?
NewsAdvance.com wrote:LU campus farm faces uncertain future
Josh Moody Mar 8, 2017

Autumn Parry/The News & Advance
Alicia Cripe is helping to raise Cornish rock cross chicks at the Campus Farm at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., in 2015.

Liberty University's Campus Farm has laying hens, which are used for the production of eggs.
The fight is on to prevent the Liberty University farm from being defunded.

An online petition is circulating on change.org to save the farm on Sunnymeade Road, which began as a campus garden in 2013 producing seasonal crops before growing to a farm with chickens and pigs.

According to Randy Smith, LU’s executive vice president and chief operating officer, the farm is on the chopping block because in the last fiscal year, it cost $267,000 while only generating $10,000.
Click Here for Full Story
Two questions:

1. Does anyone have any pictures of the upgrade of the campus as of April 2017?

2.(Basically about football) Will the football (other sports teams eventually) program receive new uniforms/gears since we're moving to FBS? I recall there was a question about this given to IM, and he said he'll like the Flames to keep the traditional look. He never said they weren't going to develop on the apparel and other athletic resources.
I took a ton of pics last week while on campus. With the exception of the natatorium that is going up quickly, most look very similar to pics earlier int his thread. The biggest difference to me was how cler the green space is from the Freedom Tower all the way through campus to Dorms 25-28.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Two questions:

1. Does anyone have any pictures of the upgrade of the campus as of April 2017?

2.(Basically about football) Will the football (other sports teams eventually) program receive new uniforms/gears since we're moving to FBS? I recall there was a question about this given to IM, and he said he'll like the Flames to keep the traditional look. He never said they weren't going to develop on the apparel and other athletic resources.
1. http://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/ind ... -west-view

2. I think we're just going to wear the current ones out and maybe do new ones all at once in a few years.

That's something that MLS does better than anyone. My team has three jerseys, Home, Away, Third. Every year one of them is replaced.
Sly Fox wrote:I took a ton of pics last week while on campus. With the exception of the natatorium that is going up quickly, most look very similar to pics earlier int his thread. The biggest difference to me was how cler the green space is from the Freedom Tower all the way through campus to Dorms 25-28.
That's pretty cool. I'm guessing that's where they'll finish renovating the campus (At least for now)?
Purple Haize wrote:LU could afford new uniforms for every game for football and probably basketball
They sure could. Also, I think they need a better designer for the uniforms. I know they can look way better than what we have.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]