This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I couldn't track down the article but there was a story in the N&A today about all of the construction going on, on campus and it was mentioned about a 18,000 seat convacation center being built... Maybe somebody has finally realized what a waste of space the Vines Center is.. Chris if you can track it down it would be great for the others to see.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Go to the Lynchburg forum.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
yeah- thats been an ongoing thing for a while. Jerry wants a bigger center, more functional and with more capabilities.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i think the primary purpose right now for this new place is for convocation. from what i hear the vines is about capacity for that activity. can anyone shed more light?
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Sitting in convo this morning, the only room left for potential students is behind the stage, which isn't ideal. Hopefully, they'll find a place to build the new convocation center and tear down the Vines for more dorms. And please for the love of trailor-parks, tear down the circle and build something a little more permenent.. (I live on the circle, I'm allowed..)
By guest forever
I'm curious about whether this will be a convocation/concert only type of venue or if it will be used for athletics. If it is for basketball I hope they do four things. 1. jumbotron above the center of the arena. 2. a good sound system 3. be able to partition off the seats that are not in use...nothing looks worse on television than to see a lot of empty seats. 4. all seats are fire red...in keeping with the flames theme.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Student section needs to be standing only and right on the court.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Frankly, I think we need to find a way to get some students closer to the floor at our current home. I know the structure itself doesn't lend itself to being close to the action since it is a multipurpose arean. But we need to find some way to make it happen.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Frankly, I think we need to find a way to get some students closer to the floor at our current home. I know the structure itself doesn't lend itself to being close to the action since it is a multipurpose arean. But we need to find some way to make it happen.
The problem is, it isn't multipurpose. You can have concerts and Basketball/Volleyball... that's it.

For the longest time I have said that we should turn the Vines into a church and build a new facility on the site of David's Place. (near the other athletic facilities and parking.) I would hope they would build a new arena in the style of ODU or NC State. Maybe with 8-10,000 in the lower bowl and another 6-8,000 or so in the upper deck but with the ability to curtain it off for sports events until we need it.

Luxury boxes are also a must... that's where you make money. Also, if we make it a true multi-purpose facility (with retrackable seats) then you could have circuses, motocross and other money making events. If the Vines had been made like that, it could have paid for itself by now. We should look at South Carolina's set-up and what Coastal is planning to do... but on a larger scale. They have hockey teams, arena football and other money making events.

Plus, the buildings were made with ample locker rooms, offices and auxiliary gyms... things the Vines has always been lacking. Don't get me wrong... it is a great arena but it could have been sooo much better.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
remembering how poor LU was at the time, its amazing the Vines was even built to begin with. But I'm betting, aside from straightening out the mess in FB , one of the major items on the new AD's plate will be future expansion of facilities, incl this proposed arena as well as stadium-seating at the soccer field/track. The man DEFINITELY has a full plate. Maybe some of our illustrious on-air talent and/or print guys on here will score an interview w/ the newbie and get the scoop on what exactly he has in mind.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Well Chris will proabably get first crack at seeing he knew before we did and the fact that I am High Point and at BSU from Wednesday-Sunday... I am going to try for something Wed morn "Lord forgive me, during convo but it needs to be done" for the sake of flamefans...
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Like i said in the other forum, the lines b/t Jerry and Art Williams are heating up....so I'll be interested in what they'll do here in the near future
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
You really can't have a lot of concerts in the Vines Center, the accoustics are misrable.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I dont know about some of the ideas they are tossing around....rasing the roof (not the figure of speech, but really!) and adding more seats...I must say it would be pretty fun to watch though....I need to get an update on what the latest is
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
They raised the roof at Gallagher-Iba at Okie State a few years ago. It took them forever to finish the project. But when they did, the results were pretty cool.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
that was an excellent project at okie state. that is a great place to play even though fast eddie is coaching there. im sure whatever happens at LU the vines will be put to good use. i doubt they would tear it down.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I believe that the Vines was made so that the roof could be pulled up and more seats added. If they do that, they definately need to have a parking garage...or make the one at Thomas Road bigger and have little transports bring people down to the Vines (I think more people would come with better parking arrangements...that's been a problem with the Vines...not a lot of parking, and a lot of it taken by students in Demos and the computer labs).

Another option...how many will the new TRBC sit...if it's bigger, why not hold convo there?

Just thoughts.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:I believe that the Vines was made so that the roof could be pulled up and more seats added. If they do that, they definately need to have a parking garage...or make the one at Thomas Road bigger and have little transports bring people down to the Vines (I think more people would come with better parking arrangements...that's been a problem with the Vines...not a lot of parking, and a lot of it taken by students in Demos and the computer labs).

Another option...how many will the new TRBC sit...if it's bigger, why not hold convo there?

Just thoughts.
In my estimation (which was made by driving by and looking through the open wall tonight), the new TRBC looks about the same size as the old one.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I was saying today at school that we need a parking garage somewhere already. We had to park in the pit (down between the track and baseball field) for a class in Demoss. Parking in P1 is like going off roading and it's a risk because you never know if someone's gonna come flying up the row and hit you. A parking garage would be amazing.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
They're only 10K per spot... reserve yours today 8)
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Haha, that's ok. It won't be bad once I get used to walking over the hills and junk but my legs are still in flat land beach mode. My calves were killing me halfway to class just cause I'm not used to the hills and junk,. It's good for me though.

The main thing about parking is that in some places it gets dangerous at times and any commuter student knows exactly what I'm talking about.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
A parking garage is at the top of the list, another location is right behind the vines in that ravine, b/c it's great access to Demos as well as Vines, although with Campus North A different location may be wanted

as for the new TRBC it's only something like 200,000 sq ft! So quite a bit larger
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
It may be a lot bigger, but I'm just saying. Every night when I drive by and look in through the open end of the building, it doesn't look any bigger. Maybe that's because they're using the same stupid sanctuary design that they have in the original building. Just my opinion, of course.

And as for a parking garage, I think that's in the works for the parking lot at Campus East.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Well, when you are looking at a house and the drywall isn't up yet, it always looks smaller than what it's gonna be. Maybe it's a similar case.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
East Campus parking isn't too bad, the pit isn't to far.

They need to fix the parking around the circle, though. If you go out after 8, you can forget about parking anywhere remotely close to your dorm. You're going to walk a mile.
Athens Regional

I have been in this game and involved in this ga[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Finally happened, the ATrain household is no l[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Can we cancel the debate between president MAGA an[…]

2024 Season Thread

Postseason time! #4 or #5 was somewhat irrelevant […]