This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I know back when I was in school I'd see then AD Worthington out working on the field all the time. That's not something I would expect from Barber these days (nor should we).
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Turf? That's nuts. Nothing beats the site of a freshly groomed lawn.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
You wouldnt want to see them turf it but it is the cheap way out

as far as the grounds go, yeh the have 1 guy who will get his schooling free and a Assistant coach helps as well
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I think there might be a Sports Management or a Kinesiology class that's does facility management. I don't think Facility and Design does it but I'm pretty sure there's a class that does.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i believe texas has artificial turf on their baseball field. im not a proponent of it, but if a championship team like the horns can have it, why not us?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Longhorns have had Astroturf (the old school stuff that is made in Austin) at Disch-Falk Field since the Mid '70s. They are in the process of preparing for a complete overhaul of their antiquated ballpark that will eventually rip out the green carpet.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Let's not jump on that one. I like the grass and I believe every player does also. Let's leave the turf to the Brady Bunch lawn.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Going back to the parking thing, there's an article this week in the Champion that mentions LU talking with a bus company in Lynchburg about a shuttle. Just thought I'd mention it.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
yeh i dropped that in another thread somewhere...that same man is someone we need to be nice to considering there are buildings named after him at VT :lol:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I just remembered we were talking about it on here so I put it here.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
i see...I really think thats the best short term idea...think about all those spots up past the bridge that never get used and some over on North Campus...I think it'll work, not to mention the cost is right up LU's alley (next to nothing) as long as he gets to slap his name on it like the yellow pages
By PastorZack
Registration Days Posts
tu is no championship team...disch-falk is a horrible stadium...it gets to 130 degrees on the field....Olsen field on the other hand is great for watching college baseball. What LU needs is lights and more bleachers and more fan support. Most people can't go to games at 3:00 in the afternoon because they have to play then because they have no lights.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, please ignore those two National Championships in the past four years. Poor Aggie. :D

Seriously, of the old stadiums in the ocuntry Olsen Field is one of the best. It had a great atmosphere ... back when they knew how to win. These days the only time they get a full house is when the Longhorns come to town. And its generally empty by the 4th inning when the game gets out of hand. There sure are a bunch of 2%ers in Aggieland. Ooops, I'll bet I'm about to be sued for using 2%ers as some genius in Collie Station has probably trademarked that as well. :twisted:

Sorry for highjacking this thread with the UT-Aggy smack. But Zack started it with the ridiculous avatar of his.
By PastorZack
Registration Days Posts
your lucky, i couldn't squeeze the sawing of varstiy's horns off in the picture...by the way, Childress is leading the boys back to the top of the big 12 this year. Old man Johnson had lost it. The Raggies will be in full effect this year, just watch. :P
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I heard the same things about Fran. Yawn.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
Okay, they should ink a deal with Segway to have two segways in each room that are "rented" as part of a program to current students. Students should have the option to opt out of the program, then you would have a fleet of segways and then big brother would have to come out and "police" the students who would inevitably learn how to program theirs to go faster than the 2 mph limit that the campus would place on the scooters.

LU should take the opportunity to move away from the "lets just reinforce a few beams here and there and slap some new paint on it" mentality to renovate existing structures when it would be better to cut the losses and move on, and simply start over and build a combo convocation center (renovations usually end up costing essentially the same for an inferior retrofit product with delays and unexpected problems. Also, the advances in building technology and materials would be a boon to the functionality and aesthetics (which helps the buyer emotion mentality--the "even if the team is not number one, but the building and experience is enjoybale, they'll come") They should make it a better version of the Ted Constance Convo Center that ODU just built.

For kicks, they could turn the Vines center into Virginia's largest planetarium and build out classrooms in the back and call it the Science Building. Could you see the ad now?

Come to the largest Planetarium on the East Coast and literally get lost in the stars. Oh, oh they could put in an IMAX screen where the tunnel is.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Well...Turf does keep the cheerleaders from grazing on it.

Just kidding...that was a WVU joke.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Speaking of Turf. What do think of that new turf a lot of teams are turning to. It looks and feels a lot more like grass. It is much thicker and softer. I know the Twins use it and I have seen other teams with it as well.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
kel varson wrote:Well...Turf does keep the cheerleaders from grazing on it.

Just kidding...that was a WVU joke.
Ughhhh, too many newbies on the board means too many of them don't realize they steal my joke. Check my post from Nov. 12, 2005 on Proboards:

"I don't doubt that. I've been to Winthrop a couple of times and I've seen the girls there. I saw a couple of the cheerleaders grazing by the soccer field.

Seriously, there are tons of girls at WU. There aren't many, but there are tons of them."

I'll expect my royalty check in the mail.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
kel varson wrote:Speaking of Turf. What do think of that new turf a lot of teams are turning to. It looks and feels a lot more like grass. It is much thicker and softer. I know the Twins use it and I have seen other teams with it as well.
KEL, we had a big discussion on field turf on another thread- I forget where exactly but its on here somewhere.
2024 Season Thread

He should get one more year to get the program bac[…]

As I said before, LU will win the CUSA but going t[…]

Prayers please

Best of luck to you! Life gonna change 👍🏼

NCAA Realignment Megathread

The push for a G5 playoff may be bigger th[…]