This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Red Lobster is good seafood? Ugh. Serviceable. I'm OK with it, but I'd call it nowhere near good. Lynchburg isn't a haven for great restaurants, I'll say that. Charleston was by far the best eating I've done since I got here. Tremendous spots all over town down there.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Charleston has some good places to eat, same with Myrtle.

As for tea, I'm not a big sweet tea fan but Bojangles has the best tea ever, ask anyone that likes tea.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Charleston has some good places to eat, same with Myrtle.

As for tea, I'm not a big sweet tea fan but Bojangles has the best tea ever, ask anyone that likes tea.
I agree on Myrtle. Went down there with the marching band...Planet Hollywood...great stuff! May have to see about making another trip down there...won't be next year though because Dr Kerr has a bigger trip in mind...don't know what but Im sure the rumors will be circulating over the course of the semester
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
The best Italian in town is definitely La Villa on Timberlake, right next to Dairy Queen and Putt-Putt. The owner is always there and will give your kids ice cream if he thinks they're cute enough. He always takes my daughter back to the kitchen to get her some ice cream (it's okay, you can see the kitchen from your table). And the servings are huge and very well priced.

By the way, Back Yard Grill, which has been around forever, is closed. There's also some nice little places in Wyndhurst, especially Neighbor's Place. It would also be worth driving out to the New London Steakhouse.

If you want original Chinese (yes, a place with an actual chef), go to King's Island on Old Forest Rd, it's pretty good.

Merriweather's in Boonesboro is good but expensive, of course. The only thing I've ever eaten there is duck, but it was awesome.

Has anyone ever been to the Porter House (Sakiro's)? I've always wondered how that place was.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
Sly - I could go for some Papadeuxs! Everytime I am in Texas, I look for that place. I also went to their brand that is Tex/Mex. Our development team is down in Dallas and we go there everytime I visit. Forget any Tex/Mex flare in Lynchburg. Once you've had the stuff in Texas, anything else is sub par.

I liked the Backyard Grill - sad to see it closed.

As far as local flare - Lynchburg is now chain city. Boodles, Merriweathers, TC Trotters are all local that are pretty good, but you will be safe with any chain in Lynchburg. My personal favorite is Sheetz - you cant beat the MTOs, and you always had to have a capucciono for class....
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Speaking of Philly Cheesesteaks, does anybody remember "The Philly SteakOut" on Fort ave? man, I went there as much as possible. The best cheesesteak I've ever had. The place always had some sporting even from philadelphia on inside. I'm sure the dudes were from philly. Man, I miss that place.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Pappas family here in Houston have several chains ... Pappas Seafood, Pappadeaux, Pappasitos, Pappas Steakhouse, etc. They are all awesome. I was at Pappadeaux Friday night.

TC Trotters ... now there's a name I hadn't heard in a long, long time. I used to do remotes from there when I was in radio back in the day.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
I never ate at Trotters, just remember it mainly for nickel draft night. That was the night we would sit on our front porch and watch the drunken escapades of the LC students who lived next to us.

Wasnt the restaurant kind of upscale?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, they had a dress code back in the day much like Gatsby's.

Trotters was kind of a precursor to a Fridays in today's landscape as far as menu was concerned. They had some nice steaks as well. But I'm telling you all of this off my depleted meory from 15-20 years ago.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
Trotters is called Shad's now, though the basement may still be trotters. what a place that is!
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
Ya, the basement was a hole. Little nicer that your typical college dive bar if you were into that sort of thing. I always remember the upstairs decor being completely seperate from the basement decor - almost as if they were polar opposites but coexisted.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Meriweather's. Good Food and ambience, although Lynchburg is still a great place for smokers. Also, Neighbor's Place is decent. There are a couple places downtown that are very good, but I can't remember the names. Red Lobster is good seafood? Ugh! Try Captain D's if you like Red Lobster. Agree, about Charleston, SC. Best food I've ever eaten.

Anyone tried Carabbas. It's pretty good for a chain. Also, anyone tried Bonefish Grill in Northern VA? I was thinking about trying it.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Welcome to the board, kel. Thanks for registering and dive right into the conversations.

Carrabbas is a Houston-based chain that has really grown on me the Carrabba family has several different restaurants down here that are excellent.

If you are a Jim Rome fan, the mere mention of Red Lobster brings a smile to your face.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Maybe it's just the cheddar bay biscuits clouding my judgement, why is everyone so down on Red Lobster? I was raised in New England and have eaten a cornocopia of seafood growing up. I've eaten amazing seafood, and I've eaten bottom of the barrell(which, when talking seafood, is probably the worst kind of food that exists). Red Lobster's not the best but it's not really bad or anything. Good clam strips, OK clam chowder, fish is usually a little dry, veggies are always kinda gross, lobster is good, etc. If you like good catfish though, Harbor Inn is your place. Unless you like it grilled. Then you can never go wrong with cracker barrel.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
because they're all elitist snobs. Unlike you and me, LUconn.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think Red Lobster gets a bad rap because of their poor prodoct they were putting out 15-20 years ago when they really had little to no competition on the seafood front. The aforementioned biscuits have gone a long way toward regaining some of their clientele. I can tell you that I hadn't been in a long, long time until about 3 years ago. My family met another family there and we were pleased.

I obviously prefer Rockfish, Landry's and many of the newer seafood chains. But Red Lobster isn't as bad as some might assume.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I havent been keeping up with this post but here are THE BEST Hands down

Lynchburg - Main Street Eatery (you can order things that arent even on the menu) they'll cook anything you want from pork to chicken with wine sauce

Bedford- Mill Stone Tea Room This is a place you go for the experience (prepare to spend lots of money, about 25-55 per person depending if you get app. main and dessert, you really need to get all 3)

but Millstone has had reviews in several magazines and is looked upon and one of the nicest restaurants period
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
great call on main street HMO....some think it is such an elitiest place, but it is just a nice place with great service. plus it beats the many chain eateries that the burg has now.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I had to get out of the heat being generated on the "Dunton Thread." Some strong opinions for sure on both sides...Anyway, Sly if you go to DC you have to find a place called El Pollo Rico's in Arlington. The best rotisserie Peruvian chicken in the universe!!!! Also Cheesecake Factory which I am sure you have down in Texas is a real crowd pleaser. Maggiano's is a family style italian restaurant that is great for 4 or more people because they bring you so much food that it makes you not want to eat for a week. Family style eating. That and Cheesecake are in Tyson's Corner II. Or if you want to spend some time with the SCAR's, come to eat at either of those places in Richmond on your way to DC. I won't be around to show you Lynchburg (unless I telecommute that week) but Richmond can be fun. Let me know.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
no kidding scar I'm about to hang up the password for this site!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
HMO, I know it is frustrating but hang in there. You bring much insight to the discussion (and credibility for that matter) and it wouldn't be the same without your perspective. To paraphrase Jack in A Few Good Men, "we WANT you on that board! We NEED you on that board!" Next season is going to be different and we all know it. Truth is this season has some possibilities still....But enough about that. I have a hankering for some Cheesecake Factory now!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I know, and I'm not as Ignorant as sly thinks I am :) meaning the "smart" thing to do is never even enter that ring (scar did the smart thing) but I'm not connected in any way so I have nothing to lose and there are a lot of idiots out there who beleive everything some of these guys are sayin...whatever...back to food 8)

PF Chang's is where it's at though....I saw Pharrell there once
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
What about over-rated in the Burg? I'd vote for Buffalo Wild Wings. Food very mediocre, at best.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, we have plenty of Cheesecake Factories and a really good Maggiano's down here (I love the latter). As for the Peruvian chicken, I'm not going to be in DC long. We'll be doing all the touristy things down along the mall and then bailing north that same day. We'll probably grab breakfast in Lynchburg or Charlottesville on the way up and then grab lunch at the old train station in between visiting landmarks. Dinner will probably be in a northern suburb as we head toward Wilmington (I've got family there).

As for Buffalo Wild Wings, they used to be awesome back 20 years ago when they were called BW3 and starting out in Cincy. But they have fallen behind the curve in recent years as everybody else seems to have a chain with better choices. But I'll still go there to watch a game with friends when I get the chance.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
yeah BW3 (I had no idea why people called it that. Thank you Sly) is pretty over rated. I just like their TVs and trivia games. Also, the garlic hot sauce is very very good. Everything else is just kinda, alright.

The still unannounced game is the one “ most[…]

Gay Marriage Discussion

You know there are emojis available to clarify w[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Lots of stuff on "X" indicating Augu[…]

Prayers please

In other news, pre-list inspection is done. Now ti[…]