This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:There is also a lot of 'Placebo Effect' when talking about 'fresh' or 'organic' food.
Oh gosh, don't get me started on this.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:There is also a lot of 'Placebo Effect' when talking about 'fresh' or 'organic' food.
Please. Enlighten us.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:
Please. Enlighten us.
If you think that eating really good food is a placebo, no one will make you think otherwise. It seems that Christians have let the libs get a hold of topics such as food and the environment and run wild with them. We actually should be leading the charge on such issues and we should be concerned with what we put in our bodies as well as how we "manage" the environment. Talking to my philosopher (at LU) father-in-law, he acknowledges the same. In my view, Christians seem to lead the charge when it comes to the love of excess and waste.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: If you think that eating really good food is a placebo, no one will make you think otherwise. It seems that Christians have let the libs get a hold of topics such as food and the environment and run wild with them. We actually should be leading the charge on such issues and we should be concerned with what we put in our bodies as well as how we "manage" the environment. Talking to my philosopher (at LU) father-in-law, he acknowledges the same. In my view, Christians seem to lead the charge when it comes to the love of excess and waste.
+1. The thing Christians/Conservatives have to really jump on is the lack of substance in most liberal environmental policies and "going green". All it is is to say the right things and go with the flow of liberal thinking (and give them $$$). Their policies do very little to make any real improvement. We need to put common sense into the arena without all the political correctness. Easier said than done - just look at the global warming nonsense with no real scientific data to back it up.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:We actually should be leading the charge on such issues and we should be concerned with what we put in our bodies as well as how we "manage" the environment.
But what do you mean by this? Hey, all the food choices in the world are out there. Eat what you want. Don't force us to comply. And Christians (especially Christian moms), don't guilt everyone else into eating your preferences. If it were up to some, we'd be changing our diet every year to keep up with the latest food fad. It's really become pathetic.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
If you think that eating really good food is a placebo, no one will make you think otherwise. It seems that Christians have let the libs get a hold of topics such as food and the environment and run wild with them. We actually should be leading the charge on such issues and we should be concerned with what we put in our bodies as well as how we "manage" the environment. Talking to my philosopher (at LU) father-in-law, he acknowledges the same. In my view, Christians seem to lead the charge when it comes to the love of excess and waste.
That sentence makes no sense whatsoever
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The definition of "really good food" is where the discussion takes place. Ask any rancher about the difference between organic & non-organic meat. It all about which molecule is considered off-limits today. Then you just switch to another new one and start injecting witht he organic label intact.

I am all for putting the best stuff possible into our system. I just have a tough time determining what that really is these days.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:The definition of "really good food" is where the discussion takes place. Ask any rancher about the difference between organic & non-organic meat. It all about which molecule is considered off-limits today. Then you just switch to another new one and start injecting witht he organic label intact.

I am all for putting the best stuff possible into our system. I just have a tough time determining what that really is these days.
Are you trying to say 'food that's good for you"? :dontgetit cause a lot of people think Thai food is really good food but I can't stand it. Thus I don't think its 'really good food'
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I don't believe taste is what is being referenced above. If it was, I am mistaken. I saw references to locally sourced beef and feedlots. Perhaps I made some poor assumptions.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I don't believe taste is what is being referenced above. If it was, I am mistaken. I saw references to locally sourced beef and feedlots. Perhaps I made some poor assumptions.
I thought we were too. But then someone said 'really good food' which baffled me. You are spot on about changing anti bionics etc. Anything to charge a premium for being 'organic'
Personally I'm pro GMO.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:I don't believe taste is what is being referenced above. If it was, I am mistaken. I saw references to locally sourced beef and feedlots. Perhaps I made some poor assumptions.
I thought we were too. But then someone said 'really good food' which baffled me. You are spot on about changing anti bionics etc. Anything to charge a premium for being 'organic'
Personally I'm pro GMO.
You are correct Sly. Yes Purple, the term "good" is subjective, but I have no doubt that you understand my comment. I do think that there are some good theologically based arguments that can be used to support certain dietary choices. To further clarify that sentence,I'll rephrase it for you. If you believe that eating organic/natural/local food simply makes one feel better as opposed to really having health benefits, you certainly are entitled to that position and no one here is going waste time attempting to change your or anyone else's mind
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
My reference was to organic et al food 'tasting' better. That's where I said there was a placebo effect. As far as nutritional differences...meh. GMO's have helped feed the world and grow crops where they could never have been grown before. Soybeans are a great example. I also believe Hawaiian Papayas.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:The definition of "really good food" is where the discussion takes place. Ask any rancher about the difference between organic & non-organic meat. It all about which molecule is considered off-limits today. Then you just switch to another new one and start injecting witht he organic label intact.

Are you trying to say 'food that's good for you"? :dontgetit cause a lot of people think Thai food is really good food but I can't stand it. Thus I don't think its 'really good food'
Well, Thai food is probably not good for you anyway, so that is a start. It isn't uncommon for someone to refer to food as good, clean, organic, whole without even thinking about taste. I might like Dr. Pepper and it might taste good, but few would have a problem with me categorizing it as a bad drink, because we all know that the chemicals and corn sugars in it are bad. I guess there are some gray areas, such as smoking pot, but...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Well, Thai food is probably not good for you anyway, so that is a start. It isn't uncommon for someone to refer to food as good, clean, organic, whole without even thinking about taste. I might like Dr. Pepper and it might taste good, but few would have a problem with me categorizing it as a bad drink, because we all know that the chemicals and corn sugars in it are bad. I guess there are some gray areas, such as smoking pot, but...
The entire country of Thailand may disagree with you.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Wow, that's kind of wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]