This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I heard the reviews were harsh because he wasn't hard enough on the school and Falwell, that he felt too much sympathy because of the friends he made here. I think that says as much about the reviewers as it does the author.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:I heard the reviews were harsh because he wasn't hard enough on the school and Falwell, that he felt too much sympathy because of the friends he made here. I think that says as much about the reviewers as it does the author.
That's the problem when you try to toe the line between trashing something the mainstream media despises and going easy on it... The media just hates you anyway.

That's why no one likes alan colmes.
By mrmacphisto
Registration Days Posts
Ed Dantes wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:I heard the reviews were harsh because he wasn't hard enough on the school and Falwell, that he felt too much sympathy because of the friends he made here. I think that says as much about the reviewers as it does the author.
That's the problem when you try to toe the line between trashing something the mainstream media despises and going easy on it... The media just hates you anyway.

That's one way to look at it. Another view might be similar to Philip Seymour Hoffman's character in Almost Famous. He warned William not to make friends with the musicians because it would skew his perspective and almost force him to write an unfairly biased review of their work. Then again, I don't know that Roose's aim was to critique life at LU so much as tell a fish-out-of-water story.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
mrmacphisto wrote:
Ed Dantes wrote:

That's one way to look at it. Another view might be similar to Philip Seymour Hoffman's character in Almost Famous. He warned William not to make friends with the musicians because it would skew his perspective and almost force him to write an unfairly biased review of their work. Then again, I don't know that Roose's aim was to critique life at LU so much as tell a fish-out-of-water story.
Classic movie. Top three that I've been able to watch because of Netflix (other two: American Gangster and Flags of our Fathers).
By absturgill
Registration Days Posts
Book Review form the News & Advance Novel Approach: Undercover at Liberty.

By Liz Barry

Published: March 18, 2009

During spring break 2007, Kevin Roose found himself standing outside a Daytona Beach nightclub, handing out Bible tracts to drunken co-eds.

He was on an evangelical mission trip with a group of Liberty University students, trying to spread the gospel amid hardcore hedonism. As they passed out fliers, a film crew from “Girls Gone Wild” began taping the debauchery.

http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/lifestyl ... rty/14469/

Q&A with the Author http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/lifestyl ... ose/14468/
You started praying at Liberty. Do you still pray now?
I do. I try to pray every morning.

Besides praying, what aspects of Liberty have stayed with you? Do you have a secret love of Christian rock music?
I do. My dirty little secret is that most of the workout music on my iPod, the stuff that I run to, is Christian rock. For some reason, it keeps me going more than the secular stuff.
By Maximus
Registration Days Posts
mrmacphisto wrote:
Ed Dantes wrote:

Heaven forbid becoming friends with the enemy...

I don't understand this book at all...
By makarov97
Registration Days Posts
Last edited by makarov97 on September 10th, 2020, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By qkslvrsrfrboy
Registration Days Posts
went to barnes and noble in lynchburg yesterday, they said it was selling much better then they had thought it would
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
As for the academics, Roose put his Ivy League ego in check when he found out how challenging some of the classes were.

“It was certainly a humbling semester, and I think I worked twice as hard as I ever did at Brown.”
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I've always said, anybody can get into LU, but not everybody can stay. That's why I don't understand why acceptance and grad rates are so highly weighted in the college rankings. I guess because that's the easiest thing to rate. Lazy.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
its true...i wasn't exactly the best high school student and i figured since it was so easy to get into liberty it must mean its a cake walk....i mean once I got use to things it was fine..but I was surprised
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I carried a 3.8 thru HS while half asleep and was a horrendous failure academically at LU.

thank God I'm hot.
By Covert Hawk
Registration Days Posts
Participation in this hyper-religious community of young people led him to identify more with his friends at Liberty, blurring the line between the writing project and his own faith. Therein lay the danger of his experiment: Roose lost much of his objectivity by drawing too close to the group he studied.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Un ... 426/?itm=1
By blwall1416
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I've always said, anybody can get into LU, but not everybody can stay.
We are more strict now on who we accept than we have been in the past. Much more than most people know.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:its true...i wasn't exactly the best high school student and i figured since it was so easy to get into liberty it must mean its a cake walk....i mean once I got use to things it was fine..but I was surprised
Falwell believed that everyone should be able to go to college, so he had a rather lax process for admissions. If you look at our 25 - 75 SAT rates (which is, incoming freshmen in the 25th percent got this score; incoming freshman in the 75th got this score), it's really a broad range (probably broader than any other school in the country). Our 25 is also really, really low -- like sub-800 on the SAT low. Our 75 puts us in the same category as decent schools (it's something in the 1100's).

Also, there are some majors that are cakewalks and others than are quite strenuous. You can't say that a COMS major and a BUSI major worked equally as hard for their degrees. Seriously, I was "broadcast journalism student of the year" but if you put me in some other classes, I would have struggled (well, maybe not me. Definitely not me. But someone else).

I really think we need to divide admissions up by schools, and have a different set of standards for each one. Business majors, engineers, anything law or history shouldn't have an open door policy. Arts & Sciences, Communication, Education, Religion... set a lower-bar (but no cake classes, make the students there prove they should be there).
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
blwall1416 wrote:
LUconn wrote:I've always said, anybody can get into LU, but not everybody can stay.
We are more strict now on who we accept than we have been in the past. Much more than most people know.
True. I used to say that before they capped the numbers. Now I don't say anything. I'm silent.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Covert Hawk wrote:
Participation in this hyper-religious community of young people led him to identify more with his friends at Liberty, blurring the line between the writing project and his own faith. Therein lay the danger of his experiment: Roose lost much of his objectivity by drawing too close to the group he studied.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Un ... 426/?itm=1
Maybe if the students had thrown their poo at him on a regular basis like the chimps this reviewer thinks we are, he could have kept his distance.
By qkslvrsrfrboy
Registration Days Posts
Ed Dantes wrote:
thepostman wrote:its true...i wasn't exactly the best high school student and i figured since it was so easy to get into liberty it must mean its a cake walk....i mean once I got use to things it was fine..but I was surprised

I really think we need to divide admissions up by schools, and have a different set of standards for each one. Business majors, engineers, anything law or history shouldn't have an open door policy. Arts & Sciences, Communication, Education, Religion... set a lower-bar (but no cake classes, make the students there prove they should be there).
I hope your not saying Religion is an easy major. Yeah anyone can do it, should everyone do it? No. Is it for everyone? no. But it definitely is not easy. In the words of Dr. Earley, its the toughest, high-risk job. If your an airplane pilot and you make a mistake, people die. If your a pastor and you make a mistake, people go to hell.

Also consider the fact of the difficulty Pastors have in working with, for the most part, all volunteers. Its easy to get people in the business world to do their job, they went to college for it, and if they dont do it, they get fired. Volunteers you need to train, and as soon as they get tired of it, their out.
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
qkslvrsrfrboy wrote: I hope your not saying Religion is an easy major. Yeah anyone can do it, should everyone do it? No. Is it for everyone? no. But it definitely is not easy. In the words of Dr. Earley, its the toughest, high-risk job. If your an airplane pilot and you make a mistake, people die. If your a pastor and you make a mistake, people go to hell.
nah, they're already going to hell. pastors just do their best and let God take care of the rest. unless you're calvinist, and then it doesn't matter what u do!
By qkslvrsrfrboy
Registration Days Posts
matshark wrote:
qkslvrsrfrboy wrote: I hope your not saying Religion is an easy major. Yeah anyone can do it, should everyone do it? No. Is it for everyone? no. But it definitely is not easy. In the words of Dr. Earley, its the toughest, high-risk job. If your an airplane pilot and you make a mistake, people die. If your a pastor and you make a mistake, people go to hell.
nah, they're already going to hell. pastors just do their best and let God take care of the rest. unless you're calvinist, and then it doesn't matter what u do!
thats the theology my old college taught. And now im being punished for it. Theo 201 and 202 wont transfer from my old college because of their beliefs. So now, I may not get to graduate next spring and instead have to take 201 and 202 the fall after to graduate. Most likely, I will be ICE'ing them this summer
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
qkslvrsrfrboy wrote:
matshark wrote:
thats the theology my old college taught. And now im being punished for it. Theo 201 and 202 wont transfer from my old college because of their beliefs. So now, I may not get to graduate next spring and instead have to take 201 and 202 the fall after to graduate. Most likely, I will be ICE'ing them this summer
well then, you should just go back to ur old school, push the professors down the stairs and then say, "Well, I guess you're glad you got THAT over with, huh?"
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Qkslvrsrfrboy, what was your "old college"?
By rueful
Registration Days Posts
(this is qkslvrsrfrboy)
Trinity Christian College. trnty.edu

Its an hour south of Trinity Evangelical. I moved from california to chicago april of my sr. year in highschool, Trinity Evangelical is 20 minutes down the road from my house, so after my dad canidated there and got hired, while I was in california, I just typed in Trinity college chicago, and applied, thinking I was applying to Trinity Evangelical. Instead, I applied to Trinity College and didnt know any better until it was too late to apply to Trinity Evangelical, and then figured it was a God thing.
By FlamingYalieWahoo
Registration Days Posts
If you want to read one of the better reviews of this work written by an LU English faculty member, Karen Prior Swallow, (she's objective and has discussed his experience at LU with him in person) go here:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/bc/col ... ml?start=1

Books and Culture is one of the better Christianity Today publications.
Last edited by FlamingYalieWahoo on March 24th, 2009, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 plus 7 model

Process of elimination... Why is ND left with 2 g[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]