This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Just John
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 5th, 2020, 5:37 pm The way she is slightly leaning away tells a different story. My wife also instantly could tell she looked uncomfortable. I'll take her observation on this over random dudes on a message board. He also mentioned that she was embarrassed by it which is why he took it down to begin with.
I readily accept your wife's opinion and retract mine. However, his comments mean nothing as the picture IMO reflects negatively on him more than her.
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:26 am
jinxy wrote: August 5th, 2020, 11:24 pm Seriously. We are going to call that sexual assault?? Thats a ridiculous stretch by prior. Its a stupid look and immature look and a bit elitist to have that type of party and post it publically. Poor decision all around but no way id go that far.

Were better off without her if thats the best she can do.
I don’t read her tweet as claiming sexual assault. She was saying just because the girl is smiling doesn’t mean she’s comfortable with what’s going on. Abuse of power doesn’t mean sexual abuse.
Jonathan is correct.

At any other company Jr would be fired and they would be scrambling to pay off the woman . If anyone works at an organization where this would not be the case I am all ears. We will never know
Last edited by Whatisthetruth on August 18th, 2020, 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: August 6th, 2020, 9:01 am
thepostman wrote: August 5th, 2020, 5:37 pm The way she is slightly leaning away tells a different story. My wife also instantly could tell she looked uncomfortable. I'll take her observation on this over random dudes on a message board. He also mentioned that she was embarrassed by it which is why he took it down to begin with.
I readily accept your wife's opinion and retract mine. However, his comments mean nothing as the picture IMO reflects negatively on him more than her.
Agreed completely.
I ask this not in a "gotcha!" or demeaning way, but out of concern for the person:

Is Jerry okay?

I hate to speculate about substance abuse, but when you filter Jerry's behavior over the last few years through the lens of addiction, things look significantly different.

In the apology yesterday he was slurring his words more than normal in a mid-morning interview.

He claimed he told his kids who would be a good boy and would do better. You don't say that after a one time thing.

Students have claimed on social media they regularly see Jerry come into stores to buy alcohol.

The midnight phone call to a reporter.

The Falwell family has addiction in its past so Jerry would be predisposed to it.

Addiction in general - both when using a substance and when fighting it off - can often lead to narcissism, control, and erratic behavior which are all traits of Jerry in recent years.

What started as a freedom we have to consume alcohol (which I believe in!) could've very well gripped him in ways he never meant for it to. It doesn't excuse the behavior at all, but as someone who values the humanity of Jerry, if he's dealing with something, I really hope he gets the help he needs.
Whatisthetruth wrote: August 6th, 2020, 9:02 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:26 am
jinxy wrote: August 5th, 2020, 11:24 pm Seriously. We are going to call that sexual assault?? Thats a ridiculous stretch by prior. Its a stupid look and immature look and a bit elitist to have that type of party and post it publically. Poor decision all around but no way id go that far.

Were better off without her if thats the best she can do.
I don’t read her tweet as claiming sexual assault. She was saying just because the girl is smiling doesn’t mean she’s comfortable with what’s going on. Abuse of power doesn’t mean sexual abuse.
Jonathan is correct.

Lets look at this from the lens of how a Title IX investigation or sexual harassment lawsuit would view the incident.

The power differential between an organizational president and the employees involved would be a key issue. What we have here is an organizational president, worth tens of millions of dollars, with absolute authority and no oversight, and the HR department is run by a family member. The woman is the assistant of the president’s wife, her husband is the president’s assistant, and they are expecting a baby. Odds are they need their jobs like the rest of us. The President tells them we are going on vacation on a yacht, and you all need to come with us because the employees are their assistants and this is part of their job. Somewhere along the way it appears alcohol is involved and someone comes up with the idea to play trailer trash boys or whatever it was. The President of the company tells the 2nd in command (his son Trey) you go shirtless, I am going to hike up my shirt, unbutton and unzip my pants (that fit well according to the video) and Kathleen, you unzip and unbutton your pants too, stick out your belly, and I am going to put my arm around your waist (the claim she would be wearing pants that don’t fit is absurd as Jr’s claim he takes clothes that don’t fit with him on vacation). At this point is she a willing participant or feels she must go along with the crowd and the CEO of the company?

This is textbook sexual harassment and an abuse of power. At any other company Jr would be fired and they would be scrambling to pay off the woman to head off a massive lawsuit. If anyone works at an organization where this would not be the case I am all ears. Now, is this exactly how it happened? We will never know, but the story written above is basically what a judge and jury would hear and how it would play out in the media.
Well at my company if this happened there wouldn't be a massive lawsuit because there'd be no way the person suing could get much money considering everyone had to be furloughed for over a month just to prevent the business from going under. Generally, not much money to be had in suing a small business.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
@Jonathan Carone I’m not saying your points are without merit. But I’d like to know more about these mini Strokes someone mentioned earlier. That too could explain a lot
Jonathan Carone liked this
By Whatisthetruth
Purple Haize wrote: August 6th, 2020, 11:00 am @Jonathan Carone I’m not saying your points are without merit. But I’d like to know more about these mini Strokes someone mentioned earlier. That too could explain a lot
Some of those strokes go back years. One was right before a commencement if I recall correctly. He would joke about them to staff members. He also had his appendix removed after playing with some kids and one of them hit him just right. This was years ago as well. Then adding the heart surgery to repair a defect I wouldn't say he is in the best of health.
Last edited by Whatisthetruth on August 18th, 2020, 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purple Haize liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 6th, 2020, 9:23 am I ask this not in a "gotcha!" or demeaning way, but out of concern for the person:

Is Jerry okay?

I hate to speculate about substance abuse, but when you filter Jerry's behavior over the last few years through the lens of addiction, things look significantly different.

In the apology yesterday he was slurring his words more than normal in a mid-morning interview.

He claimed he told his kids who would be a good boy and would do better. You don't say that after a one time thing.

Students have claimed on social media they regularly see Jerry come into stores to buy alcohol.

The midnight phone call to a reporter.

The Falwell family has addiction in its past so Jerry would be predisposed to it.

Addiction in general - both when using a substance and when fighting it off - can often lead to narcissism, control, and erratic behavior which are all traits of Jerry in recent years.

What started as a freedom we have to consume alcohol (which I believe in!) could've very well gripped him in ways he never meant for it to. It doesn't excuse the behavior at all, but as someone who values the humanity of Jerry, if he's dealing with something, I really hope he gets the help he needs.
My question is, with all of the things that we know for certain, several pictures, speech, erratic behavior, eye witness accounts, etc. is how can anyone think that he doesn't have an addiction problem?
There is no one, more that I, that wishes he can get this resolved. I am concerned about Jr. the person and secondly, the value of an LU degree. (Even though that does not impact me directly), I have many friends and family, where it does have significant negative impact.
In addition, I can see where this type of behavior can be a real negative to us getting into a better conference and the damage it can and will do to our brand. I agree with many, that it hasn't damaged our ability to attract top recruits yet. But if this is allowed to continue, it eventually will. It will make our coaches jobs more difficult, if allowed to continue.
There are several ways to work around this, where all parties can come out whole. However, it will take a tremendous amount of discipline. Hopefully the Bored and other leadership entities, will be strong enough to provide the help that is so desperately required, for the person and the institution.
Someone also needs to address the obvious spiritual deficiencies that exist. I would suggest they are even more critical than the above. We all need to pray for Jr. and other LU leadership every day.
I am sure we will see some changes, but are they enough and not too late?
If he owned his issues, repented of them, and checked himself into rehab for legitimate help, I would guess the Liberty community would come around him and support him through it.

If the board had any teeth, they could set up an interim plan and then a plan of restoration for him to work him back into the fold once he came through rehab. We could do it slowly and healthy.

There's no shame in admitting you have a problem.
bluedevilflame, flameshaw, jinxy and 2 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 6th, 2020, 11:30 am If he owned his issues, repented of them, and checked himself into rehab for legitimate help, I would guess the Liberty community would come around him and support him through it.

If the board had any teeth, they could set up an interim plan and then a plan of restoration for him to work him back into the fold once he came through rehab. We could do it slowly and healthy.

There's no shame in admitting you have a problem.
Jon, agree 100%. I think he would garner quite a bit of good will and support by publicly admitting a problem, showing some sincere humility, apology, and getting help.
I am quite sure that there are some other support factors to be implemented. But it will still boil down to personal responsibility/accountability. Continued prayers for all involved.
jinxy liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I hadn't thought that until the interview. It was terrible. While I agree in general about a restoration plan there would be a huge public backlash and huge pressure to cast him aside.

There's def been a change in the last 2 years to me and its trending the wrong way.
jinxy wrote: August 6th, 2020, 5:38 pm I hadn't thought that until the interview. It was terrible. While I agree in general about a restoration plan there would be a huge public backlash and huge pressure to cast him aside.

There's def been a change in the last 2 years to me and its trending the wrong way.
And I think that’s where we would get to show the differences in the Christian community and the secular.

If Jerry were to repent, get help, and commit to doing things the right way (ie treating people correctly, being involved spiritually, etc) then I’d be fine putting a restoration plan in place. It would take a board of trustees that actually cared about their role and did what is best for the school though. Jerry would also have to have certain milestones he’d have to hit in the restoration process.
TallyW, LUOrange liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I agree with all that. Just saying hes the one that ignored outside voices and brought mccaw and freeze in which have been awesome. With him out of the picture i would hope the board could do the same in this scenario. Hes still the biggest wild card and thats committing to change whatever the problem may be.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: August 6th, 2020, 11:23 am
Purple Haize wrote: August 6th, 2020, 11:00 am @Jonathan Carone I’m not saying your points are without merit. But I’d like to know more about these mini Strokes someone mentioned earlier. That too could explain a lot
Some of those strokes go back years. One was right before a commencement if I recall correctly. He would joke about them to staff members. He also had his appendix removed after playing with some kids and one of them hit him just right. This was years ago as well. Then adding the heart surgery to repair a defect I wouldn't say he is in the best of health.

I think the more likely explanation is alcoholism. When he moved into his current office I remember hearing stories from the folks that cleaned up his old office about how they found empty liquor bottles.

He needs an intervention there is no question about it. Obviously nobody currently on the board will do it and it appears nobody in the family will either. Those former employees and board members that would stand up and tell him "boss this is a bad idea" were ousted long ago and threatened by the meanest lawyer in NY and the FBI. If he checked into rehab and dried out I think many old relationships could be repaired. The conversations about LU would then revolve around what a great place it really is rather than talking about the President's underwear. But what we can we really do?

It wasn't appendix removed, it was spleen.
(according to sources)
ballcoach15 wrote: August 6th, 2020, 6:53 pm
Whatisthetruth wrote: August 6th, 2020, 11:23 am

I think the more likely explanation is alcoholism. When he moved into his current office I remember hearing stories from the folks that cleaned up his old office about how they found empty liquor bottles.

He needs an intervention there is no question about it. Obviously nobody currently on the board will do it and it appears nobody in the family will either. Those former employees and board members that would stand up and tell him "boss this is a bad idea" were ousted long ago and threatened by the meanest lawyer in NY and the FBI. If he checked into rehab and dried out I think many old relationships could be repaired. The conversations about LU would then revolve around what a great place it really is rather than talking about the President's underwear. But what we can we really do?

It wasn't appendix removed, it was spleen.
(according to sources)
You are correct Ballcoach. I don't know why I put appendix. It appears Jr is going to face some serious headwinds when it comes to keeping his job.

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
If any of this "speculation" is valid Caroline can have the biggest influence. A bit personal, but my father found out my sister was praying for him to drop smoking. Wasn't easy but he did it. He wasn't about to let his little girls prayers go unanswered. :wink:
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: August 6th, 2020, 8:19 pm If any of this "speculation" is valid Caroline can have the biggest influence. A bit personal, but my father found out my sister was praying for him to drop smoking. Wasn't easy but he did it. He wasn't about to let his little girls prayers go unanswered. :wink:
TH, if you listen to that interview you would have to admit that there is some issue. You, of all people (based on your self proclaimed history with LU), should be embarrassed by what is going on at the highest levels of the school. I'm planning on sending a link to that interview to a couple of board members that I have connections with. Rather than just talk about this, shouldn't we be trying to help create positive change?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
If I keep reading JC's twisted liberation theology on here I'm gonna to start taking a shot "drink" now and then. :lol:

Seriously, the board should make sure his health is okay.
Last edited by TH Spangler on August 7th, 2020, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like multiple members of the trustees may be staging an exit if the executive board does not take some type of stern action here. The interview only added to the fire.
Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't w[…]

5 plus 7 model

[rob lowe voice]I am LITERALLY in Dublin next […]

Prayers please

My neighborhood in Gambrills was great. Great f[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]