This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart butt and start a new thread after the last two were locked... but where would we post a topic about IP issues... there really isn't a category for that type of thing. The Lynchburg Life, The Chapel or Old Hags doesn't fit and all the rest are sports so I'm guessing LUConn will lock it down. On the old board wasn't there an "Off topic" that would have worked.

It is a legitimate topic to discus, it just doesn't have a home. I would like to hear peoples opinions and honestly I don't know what is wrong with leaving it open to discus. I think a lot of people share my concern they just don't have a place to do it.

BTW, I have talked to HMO and my issue is not with him or his motivation... I just have problems with the concept as I stated in the Coastal thread before it was locked.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I agree. I often have a topic I'd like to bring up with no home. I tell you what, we'll compromise and I'll simply move this thread while keeping a ghost in this forum. That way people who don't normally check other subjects will see this and go there.

By the way I'm not some sort of thread locking nazi. Those are the first 2 I've done that to and I didn't enjoy it.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Ok, I moved it here. This is seems like it sortof the off-topic area. By the way I think Sly is on vacation already so I don't know if he'll chime in. (and he's really all that counts anyway)
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
my feelings are hurt. whats the question on IP addresses?

by the way- the very first thread on this forum is titled "GENERAL INFO"- my suggestion has always been that if something doesn't fit somewhere specifically, put it in the GENERAL thread.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Listen FSN here's the bottom line, something was said only 1 person knew so I responded "becareful witht that type of attitude and being on staff" no names nothing....people get on here and Lie, and bash others simply b/c they can and they dont have to answer to it, I dont care of someone gets on here and says I HATE BLAH BLAH BLAH, they can do that! I just wont let them do that if they are saying they are an LU STAFFER yet they really live in Mizz....that's all!!! post something about how much you hate RD that's fine!!!!! Just dont say you're his son while doing it!.....I've received over 12 PM's from people who've said they are tired of people getting on here and lying about who they are and throwing rocks simply b/c they can

BOTTOM LINE no names are EVER given out only a correction of who they are ex. LU STAFFER it will be let known to the forum that he is not a LU STAFFER....that's it!!! why is that so hard to understand??? If need be I'll post all the PM's I've been receiving just to show you guys that are tired of it and want it to happen, but then i'd get blasted for making that public, so i better not....this really is grade school crap....

just dont say anything that you arent willing to stand behind
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:Listen FSN here's the bottom line, something was said only 1 person knew so I responded "becareful witht that type of attitude and being on staff" no names nothing....people get on here and Lie, and bash others simply b/c they can and they dont have to answer to it, I dont care of someone gets on here and says I HATE BLAH BLAH BLAH, they can do that! I just wont let them do that if they are saying they are an LU STAFFER yet they really live in Mizz....that's all!!! post something about how much you hate RD that's fine!!!!! Just dont say you're his son while doing it!.....I've received over 12 PM's from people who've said they are tired of people getting on here and lying about who they are and throwing rocks simply b/c they can

BOTTOM LINE no names are EVER given out only a correction of who they are ex. LU STAFFER it will be let known to the forum that he is not a LU STAFFER....that's it!!! why is that so hard to understand??? If need be I'll post all the PM's I've been receiving just to show you guys that are tired of it and want it to happen, but then i'd get blasted for making that public, so i better not....this really is grade school crap....

just dont say anything that you arent willing to stand behind
Whoa, Whoa Whoa... it's not just me... Flameshaw, Brokeback and others have shared my concern. It is just a matter of privacy. Everyone isn't privy to this information and publishing it just seems like an ethical breach of trust... because mistakes could be made. I have posted my reasoning on the other threads. As Brokeback stated it causes people to speculate on who is who and might put a false thought in their mind. Just like we preach... "don't post false accusations." By assuming who is who by IP address we may be falsely accusing someone by mistake.

I have NO dog in this LU Staffer witch hunt... and I couldn't care less who it is or isn't. The Viper issue was my bigger concern... I figured out who you thought Viper was in 5 seconds... but frankly the issue could have been over who posted the latest LAX score... if it involves giving out personal information then it is wrong. (Even if it is vague speculative information.) If someone goes "over the line" pull the thread, delete the post... don't try to out the poster.

If you think it is a specific person doing something inappropriate then confront them in private... take a page from Coach D and have a lunch meeting or make a phone call. Trying to leak who is who is as bad as the person posting false information. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Again, this is nothing personal... I respect your opinions... I just tend to see things a bit more rigidly in matters of privacy and free speech. As for this being "grade school crap" .. to the contrary, this is more constitutional law "crap" and abuse of power "crap". That's why I put this thread on here and I have already gotten two messages and one other poster... although I'm not sure where Flameshaw's post disappeared to.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I'll toss my hat in the ring with HMO.

IP addresses aren't rocket science. Everyone has one and it's a common way for people to identify posters. You can get relatively specific but not to the point of fingerprinting the person who did the typing.

HMO's point is simply that IP addys can be used to narrow down extremely false information. If someone claims to be in one city but posts from another, that's not a privacy issue to me... that's lying and disrupting the spirit of this board. I believe it's fair game for the board to call that person out. Besides, HMO isn't advocating tracking down every website these people visit... he's advocating that people stop posting annomous information that is in the form of an attack without posting their name to it.

A majority of the posters on this board have given out TONS of info about who they are including email, web, IM's, even some have put up pictures of themselves, identified themselves as Play-by-Play guys, news anchors, etc. It's not appropriate for these fly-by-night guys to come in and hide. If you want to maintain your 'right to privacy'... don't do anything publically. This forum is a public forum and with the ease of this technology one must assume that they are not completely private when posting. If the intended audience is just one or two others on this board, that's what PM's are for. If the post is to tell the whole world, then be prepared for the 'whole world' to know who you are.

For some of the posters in question I have yet to see one positive contribution to the board or the Liberty Fan base. To me they seem to be antagonistic and a hazard to the spirit of this board. I don't mind if they are at least held responsible for what city and state they post from.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
and I gotta tell ya the constitutional right thing is a little overdramatic. I have the constitutional right to be an idiot but that doesn't mean Mrs2b has to put up with it! Guys- no one is coming to your house w/ FCC regulators or electronic detectors!

long story short- the only time a person's IP address comes into question is if the moderators feel there is a DELIBERATE attempt to decieve those of us who are on here, having honest debate and discussion, in good faith that what we post to each other is legitimate.

We don't even care if people have different profiles, or several IDs. Not a big deal- UNTIL the INTENT becomes malicious. We have NO PROBLEM w/ 99% of everyone on here, and for the 1% we'll deal with it quietly.

As HMO explained- his issue started out as a joke between 2 people, and got blown out of proportion because someone misunderstood how things appeared in text.

Some of these things are just growing pains- lets all just relax a little bit.

Keep the Spirit of LU and of this board in mind and there's no problem. GLAD TO SEE YOU ALL HERE! GO FLAMES!
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
wow, lots of drama. I didn't realize most of our posters were women.

Oh noes I didnt! I think I did...

Joking. Please don't out my real name :cry:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
its Lou Khan.

sorry- the cameras I had installed in your office gave you away.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Tally,

You bring up an interesting point, but who is going to be the truth police now? I have posted things here that I have personally witnessed and been told I am wrong. Some of these same people have been called out as posting incorrect information by other posters. Bottom line is all of us have opinions and not many of those opinions are going to be changed by others on this board. However, all should be able to express themselves without a real or veiled threat of being identified. This does not promote healthy/spirited discussion.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Not that I disagree with you but anonymity (I think that's the word) does enable slander, venom spitting, axe grinding, mud slinging. Basically it allows people to do what they normally would be ashamed to do. There's no way to fix that short of everybody using their real name and social security number as their user name. But as for the stuff above, I think that trash is the mods job to regulate.
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
Just got back from the rally..........
People Lie on a message board?!? Say it isn't so!! There are obviously those who feel they have the right to look at where people are posting from and "out" them. Then there are those of us who believe in free speech. IF someone wants to come on here and act like an idiot, they can be deleted. No need to hunt down the IP, just delete them. What your beef w/LUStaff is I have no idea, but you seem to think that they used to work here and now don't. Point of order, and help me out with the correct exegesis here FSN, but if at any time they were employed by LU whether or not they currently are they can still be called LUSTAFFER. It doesn't say Current LUSTAFFER, just LUSTAFFER, therefore the tense is in question and to call someone a liar who no longer works here is not correct. As for posting on other puters and IP addresses, there are those of us who take vacation, use computers at work etc. so that jumping to conclusion about who someone IS or ISN"T is not entirely accurate.
I am not sure why you feel the need to be the truth police, but there it is. I just hope it does not happen again so that we can continue to enjoy the board.

Now if you will excuse me a "Mr White" is paging me
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Brokeback Flamer wrote:Just got back from the rally..........
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Brokeback Flamer wrote: they can be deleted. No need to hunt down the IP, just delete them.
If we deleted posts, we'd definately be accused of being left wing communist censorship pigs the likes of which Stalin had never seen.
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
Brokeback Flamer wrote: they can be deleted. No need to hunt down the IP, just delete them.
If we deleted posts, we'd definately be accused of being left wing communist censorship pigs the likes of which Stalin had never seen.
I was hoping you would say PINK commy.
Probably a good solution to the problem, if SLY would take time away from his caribbean vacation, would be to post a "code of conduct" on the web site. No vulgarity, etc so that everyone knows the rules. Then everyone knows what the level of the playing field is. I for one would hope a commitment not to track would be on there as well. Just a thought so we can get back to our regularly scheduled bickering!!

It is getting chiilly should I take my chafon?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
code of conduct is a good idea. you taking anything off is not.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Not that I disagree with you but anonymity (I think that's the word) does enable slander, venom spitting, axe grinding, mud slinging. Basically it allows people to do what they normally would be ashamed to do. There's no way to fix that short of everybody using their real name and social security number as their user name. But as for the stuff above, I think that trash is the mods job to regulate.

that's what I'm saying, there isnt 1 guest that would say some of these things to their face

& I've deleted posts that were slanderous before yet I got tagged with an apologist so I just let them slide for now on, but be ready to defend and answer to it

& Brokeback while that's a good idea I also think by saying we are to conduct ourselves in the Liberty Way should be enough...I mean only REAL losers that have nothing else to do but talk about LU get on here and we're all aware of the Liberty Way....ok so I'm the only loser...i need 12 steps
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:and I gotta tell ya the constitutional right thing is a little overdramatic.
You are right, I just didn't like being called grade school. Those were bad years for me;)
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Brokeback Flamer wrote:Just got back from the rally..........
People Lie on a message board?!? Say it isn't so!! There are obviously those who feel they have the right to look at where people are posting from and "out" them. Then there are those of us who believe in free speech. IF someone wants to come on here and act like an idiot, they can be deleted. No need to hunt down the IP, just delete them. What your beef w/LUStaff is I have no idea, but you seem to think that they used to work here and now don't. Point of order, and help me out with the correct exegesis here FSN, but if at any time they were employed by LU whether or not they currently are they can still be called LUSTAFFER. It doesn't say Current LUSTAFFER, just LUSTAFFER, therefore the tense is in question and to call someone a liar who no longer works here is not correct. As for posting on other puters and IP addresses, there are those of us who take vacation, use computers at work etc. so that jumping to conclusion about who someone IS or ISN"T is not entirely accurate.
I am not sure why you feel the need to be the truth police, but there it is. I just hope it does not happen again so that we can continue to enjoy the board.

Now if you will excuse me a "Mr White" is paging me
I will try to put this all in a nutshell... calling people out by IP is not a perfect science. It may work 75% of the time but someone could also be falsely accused and that is wrong. Brokeback makes a good point about the semantics of posting... some wording can mean one thing to one person and another to another. Why would one person have the right to decide what someone means and then out them.

I know people that have said they would like to trade barbs on here but when they read all the IP talk, they said that if it wasn't anonymous then they were afraid people might paint them as taking sides. Like I said, delete slanderous posts... just don't threaten people with uncovering their identity. All it would take is one false identification and their could be bad side effects. I sited an example on the other thread (Coastal) The IP posts caused me to guess who it allegedly was and thus an opinion was formed. Since then I have heard two sides of this and don't know who is right or wrong... but it tainted my view. Even if the IP police are right on this one, what if they are wrong next time... what is the punishment for false arrest? There are no checks and balances... you a man and a mouse.

Again... nothing personal... just a disagreement in philosophy
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
right, it's not a perfect science, but that's why no names have ever been called out (not to mention I think saying names in a public forum of those other than in the public's eye is wrong) and they wont be called out...again I'm repeating myself but it will only be done if I KNOW they dont work for LU b/c they're posting from their home out west or from the school they currently work for (ie mizz)....look back I've never called out a name or anything, I have said "be careful with that type of attitude" but that was not b/c of the IP but because of the info in the post....so I really think we're worrying about nothing here b/c it hasn't been done and it wont be done........but dont worry guys i'll be out of the country as of right now (getting on my plane as we speak) and so yall can talk bad about me for 1 week and you wont get a shot back (some of you guest's dream, say something and not have to worry whats the response! :lol:) It's all good though guys I think there's no need to worry....it hasn't been done and wont be done (9 out of 10 times the info is more accurate than an IP address, so only use that when assuming who a person is)

This is when the hug comes in :shock: stay away brokeback
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure what constitutes a perfect science, but with the right tools, an IP address gives away a lot more information than most of you might think.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/MBakerTBTimes/status/1798077[…]

5 plus 7 model

Boise St gets the ND 2025 game.

Family Travel Obsession

Live a little. Driving in Germany & Italy is t[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now […]