This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

User avatar
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
#631779
The real question should be, who freaking cares? Unfortunately our Bored is too old to make positive decisions. Prevo is zero -value-added, but every day he is around, retards our recovery as an institution.
ballcoach15, badger74 liked this
By tyndal23
Posts
#631858
olldflame wrote: September 13th, 2021, 9:35 pm
BlueBlood wrote: September 13th, 2021, 5:22 pm For those unaware:

LU COVID-19 Mitigation Update
Sept. 9, 2021

The guidelines and updates listed below will be in effect following the conclusion of the COVID-19 mitigation period on Friday, Sept. 10, 2021, until further notice. Liberty is resuming classes and indoor gatherings in a balanced way that both allows members of the campus community to select the university experiences they desire and respects the rights and responsibilities of individuals to make basic health decisions about vaccination and mask usage themselves.

Highlights

All classes will resume in-person instruction with a digital instruction component.

Masks and physical distancing are strongly encouraged, particularly where signage is posted and when visiting local churches and businesses.

Indoor sports, events, and activities will be limited to 50% space capacity.

Convocation and Campus Community will take place in Williams Stadium until further notice.

Digital attendance options are provided wherever possible when attendance is mandatory.

Vaccinations are encouraged, and clinics are available for students, faculty, and staff.
Seems like a common-sense overall approach to me which gives some options for people to make their own decisions on how cautious they want to be. Smart move to go outdoors with convo. REALLY hoping the 50% on indoor sports will be gone by basketball season.
Election in November - that is why outdoor is allowed for now, as soon as McCauliffe locks it up - complete lockdown and full stick em, Aussie style policing.
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
Posts
#631861
tyndal23 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 10:21 pm
olldflame wrote: September 13th, 2021, 9:35 pm
BlueBlood wrote: September 13th, 2021, 5:22 pm For those unaware:

LU COVID-19 Mitigation Update
Sept. 9, 2021

The guidelines and updates listed below will be in effect following the conclusion of the COVID-19 mitigation period on Friday, Sept. 10, 2021, until further notice. Liberty is resuming classes and indoor gatherings in a balanced way that both allows members of the campus community to select the university experiences they desire and respects the rights and responsibilities of individuals to make basic health decisions about vaccination and mask usage themselves.

Highlights

All classes will resume in-person instruction with a digital instruction component.

Masks and physical distancing are strongly encouraged, particularly where signage is posted and when visiting local churches and businesses.

Indoor sports, events, and activities will be limited to 50% space capacity.

Convocation and Campus Community will take place in Williams Stadium until further notice.

Digital attendance options are provided wherever possible when attendance is mandatory.

Vaccinations are encouraged, and clinics are available for students, faculty, and staff.
Seems like a common-sense overall approach to me which gives some options for people to make their own decisions on how cautious they want to be. Smart move to go outdoors with convo. REALLY hoping the 50% on indoor sports will be gone by basketball season.
Election in November - that is why outdoor is allowed for now, as soon as McCauliffe locks it up - complete lockdown and full stick em, Aussie style policing.
This is where we are now:

Image

It is mentioned in the Word (and even through ethnic proverbs) that they'll be a time where the wicked will be looked at as the righteous and the righteous will be portrayed as wicked. Also, the Fool will be considered as wise and vice versa. We are living in those times and it will continue to get worse.
LU 57 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#631863
Be careful not to use those passages to deflect criticism or avoid self-reflection. Sometimes people are being treated like they’re being foolish because they are.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#631865
Herd immunity is the only solution. Vaccine helps older people recover from it. But most will have to get it to reach herd.

I think its time to stop going around and around about vaccines and mask and start demanding accountability for those who created it. It's not natural, it was created in a lab.
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#631866
I just got notified that I'm coming due on a couple vaccines. I guess I should tell them "NO" since you know, natural immunity...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
#631868
thepostman wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:06 am I just got notified that I'm coming due on a couple vaccines. I guess I should tell them "NO" since you know, natural immunity...
Obviously referring to vaccines for diseases other than Covid. I wonder how many of the anti-vax zealots (Covid denomination) are refusing to let their children get all the vaccines schools require? There is another completely distinct group of zealots who are against those, and most of them are from a polar opposite extreme of the political spectrum.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#631871
olldflame wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:15 am
thepostman wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:06 am I just got notified that I'm coming due on a couple vaccines. I guess I should tell them "NO" since you know, natural immunity...
Obviously referring to vaccines for diseases other than Covid. I wonder how many of the anti-vax zealots (Covid denomination) are refusing to let their children get all the vaccines schools require? There is another completely distinct group of zealots who are against those, and most of them are from a polar opposite extreme of the political spectrum.
Horseshoe theory in action
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
#631873
Like many people, I took the jab so I could travel. btw...I got C-19 twice last year, seven months apart. First time was much worse, but still pretty much in the slightly above average cold range. Kept thinking it was over, but got really tired and dropped at 8PM. Second time was like a very mild cold and I couldn't taste salt. Is it a stretch to be fairly confident that my immunity can withstand this? Wondering what doctors would be saying, if this wasn't so political?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#631874
The likelihood of you getting it again is super duper low. If you did, it would probably be super mild, if symptomatic at all.

I’m in a similar boat having had it and being vaccinated. I’m now in the mindset of being cautious mostly because of the hassle having to shut everything in my family down for 2 weeks would bring. For instance, I would feel fine going to the football game tomorrow, not concerned about getting it myself at all. However, my kids are too young for the shot and if they get it, they’d be stuck at home for 2 weeks, meaning I would also be stuck at home for 2 weeks. I would have to take 2 weeks off work and we’d have to try to do some version of home-schooling that we aren’t equipped for.

I know they’re not at any significant health risk, but it’s not worth them potentially getting it because of the other fallout. Until the transmission rates locally chill out a bit, we’re staying low key.
User avatar
By LU 57
Posts
#631878
olldflame wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:15 am
thepostman wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:06 am I just got notified that I'm coming due on a couple vaccines. I guess I should tell them "NO" since you know, natural immunity...
Obviously referring to vaccines for diseases other than Covid. I wonder how many of the anti-vax zealots (Covid denomination) are refusing to let their children get all the vaccines schools require? There is another completely distinct group of zealots who are against those, and most of them are from a polar opposite extreme of the political spectrum.
Please keep in mind that those vaccines are for diseases that are a meaningful threat to young people: Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Diptheria, etc.

COVID-19 is a cold for most kids.
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
Posts
#631882
stokesjokes wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:34 am Be careful not to use those passages to deflect criticism or avoid self-reflection. Sometimes people are being treated like they’re being foolish because they are.
Hopefully you're doing the same. But how would you do that? I suppose you think I'm making my statements because of emotions?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#631885
I don’t think you make statements out of emotion any more than anyone else does, I just think you’re mistaken on some things.

I try to be self-reflective, obviously I’m not always good at it. For me it starts with being open to the idea that I’ve gotten something wrong and trying to understand where other people are coming from. I’m too quick to assume on that one sometimes and tend to jump to ideological implications too quickly as well.

But I do think the Bible’s teachings on how we will be hated for our beliefs or how people will think we’re foolish gets abused at times to keep us from internal examination. One of the foundational beliefs of Christianity is that the capacity for wickedness and deception lies just as much in our own hearts as it does in the outside world.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
#631922
stokesjokes wrote: September 17th, 2021, 9:58 am The likelihood of you getting it again is super duper low. If you did, it would probably be super mild, if symptomatic at all.

I’m in a similar boat having had it and being vaccinated. I’m now in the mindset of being cautious mostly because of the hassle having to shut everything in my family down for 2 weeks would bring. For instance, I would feel fine going to the football game tomorrow, not concerned about getting it myself at all. However, my kids are too young for the shot and if they get it, they’d be stuck at home for 2 weeks, meaning I would also be stuck at home for 2 weeks. I would have to take 2 weeks off work and we’d have to try to do some version of home-schooling that we aren’t equipped for.

I know they’re not at any significant health risk, but it’s not worth them potentially getting it because of the other fallout. Until the transmission rates locally chill out a bit, we’re staying low key.
How would you even know if you’re kids have it? Symptoms in kids are overwhelmingly equal to a common cold. At a level that mild, why test them?

Friend in PA had 7yo daughter sent home from school because of a cold. A runny nose! School forced covid test (with a copay) before return. Results took multiple days, a parent had to take multiple days off of work. Negative result days later meant kid could return to school. That response is utterly ridiculous.

Schools and day care centers are Petri dishes of germs. Kids will get sick! Parents will, too. So, what?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#631926
I’ll get them a test if they have a fever, a bad cold that persists or lose taste or smell. I’m not testing them for the sniffles. My kids wear masks anyway, so that reduces the chance that they’ll spread what they have.

I do think it’s important, especially in places where community transmission is high, to be cautious, even with the kids. I know the kids will be fine, but they’re bringing whatever they have to their teachers and families, many of whom will not be fine if they get it.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
#631927
I’m almost on board, then you go and say something like that last statement.

“Many”?! No, no sir. Your very own quoted statistics make it clear nothing near to “many” will be less than “fine” if they “get it”. That run beyond reality is what’s hurting your argument with anti-vax, anti-mask extremists on the other side.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#631933
thepostman wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:06 am I just got notified that I'm coming due on a couple vaccines. I guess I should tell them "NO" since you know, natural immunity...
Seriously? What vaccines are you coming due on? The last vax I got was when I went overseas back before you were born 🤣🤣

EDIT - I forgot I had the flu vaccine the last two years prior to Rona. But it had been awhile before that
Kricket, LU 57 liked this
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#631938
You also forgot my profession. I get poked more than the average citizen. I should stand up to them though and ruin my career over it. Natural immunity! :D
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#631943
thepostman wrote: September 18th, 2021, 9:15 am You also forgot my profession. I get poked more than the average citizen. I should stand up to them though and ruin my career over it. Natural immunity! :D
Yeah. No telling where those chairs have been :D :D
thepostman liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#631944
JK37 wrote: September 18th, 2021, 7:55 am I’m almost on board, then you go and say something like that last statement.

“Many”?! No, no sir. Your very own quoted statistics make it clear nothing near to “many” will be less than “fine” if they “get it”. That run beyond reality is what’s hurting your argument with anti-vax, anti-mask extremists on the other side.
There’s a spectrum between “fine” and “dead” for me. Even if it’s “only” ~1% of those teachers and families that might die, many more are going to be hospitalized and many more that aren’t even hospitalized are going to deal with long-haul symptoms. All of that is not “fine” in my mind.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#631945
stokesjokes wrote: September 18th, 2021, 12:21 pm
JK37 wrote: September 18th, 2021, 7:55 am I’m almost on board, then you go and say something like that last statement.

“Many”?! No, no sir. Your very own quoted statistics make it clear nothing near to “many” will be less than “fine” if they “get it”. That run beyond reality is what’s hurting your argument with anti-vax, anti-mask extremists on the other side.
There’s a spectrum between “fine” and “dead” for me. Even if it’s “only” ~1% of those teachers and families that might die, many more are going to be hospitalized and many more that aren’t even hospitalized are going to deal with long-haul symptoms. All of that is not “fine” in my mind.
You can actually look at the hospitalization rates. And you can see the recovery rates.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
#631946
Right, so my back of the napkin math says about 7% of positive cases end up hospitalized, so that’s about a 1 in 14 chance that the person that my kid spreads the virus to winds up in the hospital. From that, about 1 out of every 4.5 of those dies. I don’t understand why it’s controversial to suggest caution. I know I’d feel awful if my choices sent someone to the hospital.
  • 1
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Your point is well taken, but until then, the Belt[…]

Prevo on LU in Politics

I'm not saying this because I think Jr should st[…]

Prediction Thread: UMASS

Good Guys - 31 UMass - 10 19,702 ...the 2 is[…]

2021-22 Season

Non-con single game tix for Flames Club members we[…]