This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It seems all media has migrated further left or further right over the past few years. It has become increasingly important to get news from multiple sources.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I would agree they have definitely shifted. My biggest complaints are the click-bait tactics they use on social media (facebook) and that any story about animal abuse is top story night after night. I don't like mistreatment of animals by any stretch but hearing about another pet hoarder or abandoned litter of puppies is not top story material in my opinion. I watch WDBJ generally. I get better Lynchburg coverage there anyway.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Most media don't report the actual news, they are fiction writers. I have never understood why media sleeps with the liberal wackos.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:only 1% of conservatives are wackos, whereas 95% of liberals are wackos.
They are ALL wackos...1%? You listen to Limbaugh and Hannity too much.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:only 1% of conservatives are wackos, whereas 95% of liberals are wackos.
They are ALL wackos...1%? You listen to Limbaugh and Hannity too much.
I haven't listened to Limbaugh, Hannity or anyone in probably 5 years. Last time I listened to any news program was the day after Trump beat Hillary. I did listen to Fox News some that day. Only thing I listen to is Paul Finebaum show a couple times a week.

News outlets no longer report news. They either lie or give their opinion on something.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: You listen to Limbaugh and Hannity too much.
Rogers, Ballcoach is pushing 70. :oldhag Do you really think he is still awake at 9:00 when Hannity comes on? :boring
By cruzan_flame13
All one has to do is just follow the money trail and what will be discovered is that both sides are control by the same coporate mindset. The fact that people still pick a side proves how far the masses have lost sight of reality.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:All one has to do is just follow the money trail and what will be discovered is that both sides are control by the same coporate mindset. The fact that people still pick a side proves how far the masses have lost sight of reality.
Bingo
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
rogers3 wrote: You listen to Limbaugh and Hannity too much.
Rogers, Ballcoach is pushing 70. :oldhag Do you really think he is still awake at 9:00 when Hannity comes on? :boring
My dad is 80...he finds the shows on his iPhone. Don't let the old moonbats fool you!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure how anybody sits through any of those news commentary shows, regardless of the network. They are all so toxic.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I'm not sure how anybody sits through any of those news commentary shows, regardless of the network. They are all so toxic.
I agree. They used to be great now it’s an echo chamber depending on what side you’re on. Don’t believe me? Watch the reaction this weekend after what was dropped tonight
By CCWMichael
thepostman wrote:I'm not sure how anybody sits through any of those news commentary shows, regardless of the network. They are all so toxic.
+1
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Most media don't report the actual news, they are fiction writers. I have never understood why media sleeps with the liberal wackos.
Not hard to understand at all. They sleep with liberal wackos because they ARE liberal wackos.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Im going to let you guys in on The secret to a much happier life. Don't watch or listen to any news. So little of it is anything you'll ever need to know about. I often have no clue what's going on in the world. What crazy thing did Trump say or do and what was his opponents' response? I dont know. And knowing wouldnt effect me other than feeling an emotion. Live in ignorance with me friends. No use in wasting energy getting upset about things every day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Im going to let you guys in on The secret to a much happier life. Don't watch or listen to any news. So little of it is anything you'll ever need to know about. I often have no clue what's going on in the world. What crazy thing did Trump say or do and what was his opponents' response? I dont know. And knowing wouldnt effect me other than feeling an emotion. Live in ignorance with me friends. No use in wasting energy getting upset about things every day.
Ha. I’m not sure that end of the spectrum is any better. I would counsel a broader scope of news knowledge. Is your mental energy better expended on Trumps latest Twitter storm or finding the reasons why Scandinavian countries are upgrading their defenses? Is an hour watching Hannity/Maddow a better use of your time then an hour of BBC / Sky World News?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Im going to let you guys in on The secret to a much happier life. Don't watch or listen to any news. So little of it is anything you'll ever need to know about. I often have no clue what's going on in the world. What crazy thing did Trump say or do and what was his opponents' response? I dont know. And knowing wouldnt effect me other than feeling an emotion. Live in ignorance with me friends. No use in wasting energy getting upset about things every day.
Good post LUconn. I don't watch any news or TV, other than a ball game, golf tournament or last laps of NASCAR race.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I pretty much only read news these days. At least with reading you can often get passed whatever sound byte audio and video segment producers want to sell.

But yeah, in general society would be a much better place if people turned off those on the right/left who only aim to incite faux outrage.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
makarov97 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that WSET's coverage, particularly their online and social media trash, has marched decidedly left over the past 2 years or so?

They are about as reliable as CNN at this point.

They do everything from editing their stories to remove racial descriptors from any story descriptions involving minority suspects in crimes, to promoting every SJW cause that is in vogue at the moment.
Sinclair stations tend to be much more conservative. Though, I think you’re criticizing the national news clickbait headlines that don’t worship Trump 100% of the time.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
has anyone figured out yet why most of the media "sleep with the liberals" ? Media should report the news, not make up news. Media should be 100% neutral.
By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote:has anyone figured out yet why most of the media "sleep with the liberals" ? Media should report the news, not make up news. Media should be 100% neutral.
For starters you have to look at who own the news stations. Then you connect the corporations relationship with the C.I.A. You'll then figure out how the news has always been this way for decades. There's nothing new going on right now. Time Warner anyone? 8)
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]