This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

thepostman wrote:I'm not quite sure if you're being serious or not.

I'm now in my 2nd joint unit and it has really confirmed I made the right choice. It's not really a shot at the other branches but they aren't for me.
Their chairs aren’t as comfortable :lol:
thepostman wrote:I'm not quite sure if you're being serious or not.

I'm now in my 2nd joint unit and it has really confirmed I made the right choice. It's not really a shot at the other branches but they aren't for me.
Oh you're still in?! I've heard Chief Wright is old school and getting it back to how it used to be. I separated 3 years ago when the culture was designed to promote commanders by how many people they forced out.
Yeah, I'm still in. Things are better but part of me feels bad for the leadership who were forced by outside factors to downsize. Of course they also handled it completely wrong.

Things seem to be getting better but I only see some of it since I am in a joint unit.
Freedom cams back up

wish they'd shift the one back toward the 'bill

I've seen enough of 460
I was on campus yesterday & noticed that they’ve already started preparing the hill dorms for the new upper floors. I couldn’t tell if they’d done anything for the atriums between buildings yet.
It’ll be interesting to see how much they can complete before it’s time for students to move back in.
Just park in the garage and walk. It's good exercise.
So when will LU's appetite for needless accumulation of property be satiated? Now, the old Kmart is under LU's ownership. While we seem intent on being stewards of our student's loan proceeds, we certainly have very little to show in the way of responsible utilization of our external properties- unless overflow parking lots are considered attractive holdings. At least LU is forced to pay property tax on these purchases, because they are detrimental to our community, otherwise.
It's a buyer's market for LU. In real estate, when's it's a buyer's market and you have the resources, you aggressively accumulate property. The local real estate assets provide long-term financial security. All major universities are in the real estate market for property located near to their university. If they were in LU's position, they'd be doing the same thing.
rogers3 wrote:So when will LU's appetite for needless accumulation of property be satiated? Now, the old Kmart is under LU's ownership. While we seem intent on being stewards of our student's loan proceeds, we certainly have very little to show in the way of responsible utilization of our external properties- unless overflow parking lots are considered attractive holdings. At least LU is forced to pay property tax on these purchases, because they are detrimental to our community, otherwise.
I(my wife) want Hobby Lobby to open up in the old K-Mart. But like SumItUp said, it's long term income. Liberty has told the remaining employees at River Ridge they will be moved before years end. I expect they will start working towards finding tenants for their properties soon.
ballcoach15 wrote:The more property LU owns in and around Lynchburg, the better for the University. Many schools around the country are "landlocked", and couldn't build an outhouse.
UNCG and ODU to name two.
SumItUp wrote:It's a buyer's market for LU. In real estate, when's it's a buyer's market and you have the resources, you aggressively accumulate property. The local real estate assets provide long-term financial security. All major universities are in the real estate market for property located near to their university. If they were in LU's position, they'd be doing the same thing.
Few do it as poorly as LU does. Most schools will buy real estate when landlocked...LU is not landlocked. Schools that do invest seek to at least break even on their investments- LU hasn't done that so much. It will be interesting to see how their $4M+ purchase pays off. Maybe they'll hit a homerun with somthing like LIDL or Hobby Lobby. There are plenty of example of Universities investing endowment monies on property, but most is viable or even redeveloped as income producing business property. I guess there is less interest when we are using money that students are paying on for years.
Build a large scale medical practice facility. Now that LU is pumping out DOs, nurses and other med personnel they need a place to practice. Cant be tied just to Centra which has own agenda and challenges.
badger74 wrote:Build a large scale medical practice facility. Now that LU is pumping out DOs, nurses and other med personnel they need a place to practice. Cant be tied just to Centra which has own agenda and challenges.
Funny that you mentioned this because the idea of LU building their own medical/research hospital has been discussed.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
In my opinion its quite the contrary. If you wait until your landlocked the price goes up. I think you will see several interesting ideas pop up the next 2 to 3 years. Especially on the kmart property. That cost will only increase as lu continues to expand its epicenter.

Several prominent developers from roanoke blacksburg and richmond have shifted to the lynchburg and danville markets. They are looking primarily at multifamily and apartment housing but also hotels etc. These are some smart folks and ive heard from more than one of them that Lu doing the smart thing by not allowing itself to be boxed in.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
badger74 wrote:Build a large scale medical practice facility. Now that LU is pumping out DOs, nurses and other med personnel they need a place to practice. Cant be tied just to Centra which has own agenda and challenges.
Funny that you mentioned this because the idea of LU building their own medical/research hospital has been discussed.
City of Faith Redux
jinxy wrote:In my opinion its quite the contrary. If you wait until your landlocked the price goes up. I think you will see several interesting ideas pop up the next 2 to 3 years. Especially on the kmart property. That cost will only increase as lu continues to expand its epicenter.

Several prominent developers from roanoke blacksburg and richmond have shifted to the lynchburg and danville markets. They are looking primarily at multifamily and apartment housing but also hotels etc. These are some smart folks and ive heard from more than one of them that Lu doing the smart thing by not allowing itself to be boxed in.
JMU is landlocked; Liberty will never be landlocked with their several thousand contiguous acres. They are already building up and over the mountain. I have to wonder who these developers are that you speak of. Jim Daly, the largest hotelier in Lynchburg, has a relationship w/ Jerry, but I don't think he gives a rip about how much land LU buys and he has more to gain of Liberty expands towards LUCOM and the airport rather than across a railyard and expressway. Tony West, the guy who has done more development than anyone else in mid and downtown would probably suggest that LU convert their Campbell Ave warehouse into student lofts. I haven't talked with a single developer who thinks LU makes great real estate investments and I interact with a fair number of them.
Just because Liberty does it, it doesn't mean that it is particularly wise.
It's hard to go wrong investing near the airport and college?
Centra confirmed Thursday it is in the process of purchasing 48 acres of land for about $7.7 million. Centra has the land under contract and expects to close on the deal early next week, according to Joe Archambeault, Centra’s vice president of facilities and support services. The land stretches from Leesville Road to Airport Road to Simons Run and faces U.S. 460.

82-room Tru by Hilton hotel ..... During the planning process, Mehta said he and his partner discovered Centra planned to purchase the neighboring land to house a health care center, which motivated them to push the deal through ....... “We feel that’s not the end of it; we think this area is growing tremendously,” Mehta said, adding J&N wants the hotel open before Centra breaks ground so it can serve those building the health care center and its clients.

http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_lync ... df471.html
Something needs to be done with Ward's Road. Bad thing is, if a new business goes up, VDOT will probably install a new traffic light, thus making traffic even worst. I would like to see every traffic light on Ward's Road become non-operational for a week, just to see what happens with traffic.
People would be stuck in the wal mart parking lot for a really long time.

That whole area wasn't planned out at all. I'm not really sure what you do at this point. Building more is probably not the answer.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]