This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.
By Class of 20Something
#550759 So that render is over 5 years old now. I wonder if it is still the basis of what they want to do.
By Cider Jim
#550848 I noticed today that they are paving a new parking lot next to the Tower Theatre, just in time for graduation this Saturday. :clapping
By Cider Jim
#550924 Yes, with asphalt.
By rogers3
LUAlum1215 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Did you see it being paved? I thought a parking garage was going in there.

A garage will eventually be built but for now just a parking lot. This was changed a couple of months ago.

I would think that a better spot for a garage would be in between the LaHaye rink and the rec center. Much bigger footprint and you could still keep the road through the center.
By Class of 20Something
rogers3 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Did you see it being paved? I thought a parking garage was going in there.

A garage will eventually be built but for now just a parking lot. This was changed a couple of months ago.

I would think that a better spot for a garage would be in between the LaHaye rink and the rec center. Much bigger footprint and you could still keep the road through the center.

That's one of the better designs for ingress and egress
By rogers3
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That wouldn’t fit with the walking campus idea. If anything the garage will be behind the student recreation center or the LIC and all the parking lots in between will transition into a lawn area.

Well, walking all the way through that lot to a smaller garage closer to Candlers Mtn. Rd. just for the sake of walking is silly. There is nothing down there to walk to except LCA and the Tower Theater. A lot as a “hub” for venues all around it seems to make sense.
By LUAlum1215
rogers3 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:

The road through the center has been gone for at least two years now; it’s all parking lot with access lanes on the perimeter. Having the garage closer to the edge of campus make egress easier. Once cars leave the garage they’re immediately dumping off campus. Yes, it means more walking once you’ve parked but that is the point of a walking campus.
By cruzan_flame13
rogers3 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That wouldn’t fit with the walking campus idea. If anything the garage will be behind the student recreation center or the LIC and all the parking lots in between will transition into a lawn area.

Well, walking all the way through that lot to a smaller garage closer to Candlers Mtn. Rd. just for the sake of walking is silly. There is nothing down there to walk to except LCA and the Tower Theater. A lot as a “hub” for venues all around it seems to make sense.

Do you believe that LU will use all those lot to create a mega parking garage? They are still expecting the growth of student residents to reach 16k and maybe a little over. That area may help create necessary facilities/buildings if needed and that will include a lawn to continue the design from main campus. I don’t see how that could be depicted as silly. Of course this wouldn’t occur anytime soon but we’ll see what happens.
By rogers3
LUAlum1215 wrote:
The road through the center has been gone for at least two years now; it’s all parking lot with access lanes on the perimeter. Having the garage closer to the edge of campus make egress easier. Once cars leave the garage they’re immediately dumping off campus. Yes, it means more walking once you’ve parked but that is the point of a walking campus.

When you zoom in on Google it shows the road still there, but the indoor practice facility disappears, too. Still think that having parking more central makes sense. Last parking facility that I remember being mentioned was at the tunnel on East Campus. I think it was Jerry who indicated that would happen with the new basketball facility.
By LUAlum1215
#551112 Yea, 3D and 2D on google maps shows two different pictures. They have already installed the silt fencing where the dorms on east will be demolished for the garage. That project is underway with the new exit ramp from 460.
By TH Spangler
ballcoach15 wrote:Did Jerry,Jr make any "big" announcements at commencement today ?

I might be mistaken, but I think he turned to a naval officer on stage and said we have a game coming up against Navy. If we get a game with Navy before ODU does that's going to sting! I'm pretty sure he said Navy, I was thinking Army?
By TH Spangler
ballah09 wrote:He definitely said a big game against Navy. I don't know if he mixed it up with Army though.

I took another look .... it was navy and it was in his introduction of President Carter.
By Sly Fox
#551205 Our slates are full up through the 2021 season right now. Either this references game(s) starting 2022 or later unless we are buying out somebody already under contract.
By Purple Haize
thepostman wrote:Or Jerry doesn't know the difference between the Navy and Army and just thinks the entire military is the Army. Which is more normal than it should be.

And insulting

Well the Army Air Corps is pretty awesome with their Long range bombers and missiles
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:I love the Army Air Corp. Without them realizing the Army was holding them back my life would look totally different.

:) ;)

Better uniforms and leadership?
By thepostman
#551275 I'm not quite sure if you're being serious or not.

I'm now in my 2nd joint unit and it has really confirmed I made the right choice. It's not really a shot at the other branches but they aren't for me.
By Purple Haize
thepostman wrote:I'm not quite sure if you're being serious or not.

I'm now in my 2nd joint unit and it has really confirmed I made the right choice. It's not really a shot at the other branches but they aren't for me.

Their chairs aren’t as comfortable :lol:
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:I'm not quite sure if you're being serious or not.

Oh you're still in?! I've heard Chief Wright is old school and getting it back to how it used to be. I separated 3 years ago when the culture was designed to promote commanders by how many people they forced out.
By thepostman
#551281 Yeah, I'm still in. Things are better but part of me feels bad for the leadership who were forced by outside factors to downsize. Of course they also handled it completely wrong.

Things seem to be getting better but I only see some of it since I am in a joint unit.
By PAmedic
#551534 Freedom cams back up

wish they'd shift the one back toward the 'bill

I've seen enough of 460
By Old Red
#551727 I was on campus yesterday & noticed that they’ve already started preparing the hill dorms for the new upper floors. I couldn’t tell if they’d done anything for the atriums between buildings yet.
It’ll be interesting to see how much they can complete before it’s time for students to move back in.
By Class of 20Something
#552195 Noticed all of this Sunday when we went to take a peek at the stadium. Every single road has a closure.

https://www.liberty.edu/media/1370/maps ... 5-2018.pdf
By Cider Jim
#552202 Just park in the garage and walk. It's good exercise.
By rogers3
#552252 So when will LU's appetite for needless accumulation of property be satiated? Now, the old Kmart is under LU's ownership. While we seem intent on being stewards of our student's loan proceeds, we certainly have very little to show in the way of responsible utilization of our external properties- unless overflow parking lots are considered attractive holdings. At least LU is forced to pay property tax on these purchases, because they are detrimental to our community, otherwise.
By SumItUp
#552256 It's a buyer's market for LU. In real estate, when's it's a buyer's market and you have the resources, you aggressively accumulate property. The local real estate assets provide long-term financial security. All major universities are in the real estate market for property located near to their university. If they were in LU's position, they'd be doing the same thing.
By Class of 20Something
rogers3 wrote:So when will LU's appetite for needless accumulation of property be satiated? Now, the old Kmart is under LU's ownership. While we seem intent on being stewards of our student's loan proceeds, we certainly have very little to show in the way of responsible utilization of our external properties- unless overflow parking lots are considered attractive holdings. At least LU is forced to pay property tax on these purchases, because they are detrimental to our community, otherwise.

I(my wife) want Hobby Lobby to open up in the old K-Mart. But like SumItUp said, it's long term income. Liberty has told the remaining employees at River Ridge they will be moved before years end. I expect they will start working towards finding tenants for their properties soon.
By TH Spangler
ballcoach15 wrote:The more property LU owns in and around Lynchburg, the better for the University. Many schools around the country are "landlocked", and couldn't build an outhouse.

UNCG and ODU to name two.
By rogers3
SumItUp wrote:It's a buyer's market for LU. In real estate, when's it's a buyer's market and you have the resources, you aggressively accumulate property. The local real estate assets provide long-term financial security. All major universities are in the real estate market for property located near to their university. If they were in LU's position, they'd be doing the same thing.

Few do it as poorly as LU does. Most schools will buy real estate when landlocked...LU is not landlocked. Schools that do invest seek to at least break even on their investments- LU hasn't done that so much. It will be interesting to see how their $4M+ purchase pays off. Maybe they'll hit a homerun with somthing like LIDL or Hobby Lobby. There are plenty of example of Universities investing endowment monies on property, but most is viable or even redeveloped as income producing business property. I guess there is less interest when we are using money that students are paying on for years.
By badger74
#552304 Build a large scale medical practice facility. Now that LU is pumping out DOs, nurses and other med personnel they need a place to practice. Cant be tied just to Centra which has own agenda and challenges.
By cruzan_flame13
badger74 wrote:Build a large scale medical practice facility. Now that LU is pumping out DOs, nurses and other med personnel they need a place to practice. Cant be tied just to Centra which has own agenda and challenges.

Funny that you mentioned this because the idea of LU building their own medical/research hospital has been discussed.
By jinxy
#552310 In my opinion its quite the contrary. If you wait until your landlocked the price goes up. I think you will see several interesting ideas pop up the next 2 to 3 years. Especially on the kmart property. That cost will only increase as lu continues to expand its epicenter.

Several prominent developers from roanoke blacksburg and richmond have shifted to the lynchburg and danville markets. They are looking primarily at multifamily and apartment housing but also hotels etc. These are some smart folks and ive heard from more than one of them that Lu doing the smart thing by not allowing itself to be boxed in.
By Purple Haize
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
badger74 wrote:Build a large scale medical practice facility. Now that LU is pumping out DOs, nurses and other med personnel they need a place to practice. Cant be tied just to Centra which has own agenda and challenges.

Funny that you mentioned this because the idea of LU building their own medical/research hospital has been discussed.

City of Faith Redux
By rogers3
jinxy wrote:In my opinion its quite the contrary. If you wait until your landlocked the price goes up. I think you will see several interesting ideas pop up the next 2 to 3 years. Especially on the kmart property. That cost will only increase as lu continues to expand its epicenter.

Several prominent developers from roanoke blacksburg and richmond have shifted to the lynchburg and danville markets. They are looking primarily at multifamily and apartment housing but also hotels etc. These are some smart folks and ive heard from more than one of them that Lu doing the smart thing by not allowing itself to be boxed in.

JMU is landlocked; Liberty will never be landlocked with their several thousand contiguous acres. They are already building up and over the mountain. I have to wonder who these developers are that you speak of. Jim Daly, the largest hotelier in Lynchburg, has a relationship w/ Jerry, but I don't think he gives a rip about how much land LU buys and he has more to gain of Liberty expands towards LUCOM and the airport rather than across a railyard and expressway. Tony West, the guy who has done more development than anyone else in mid and downtown would probably suggest that LU convert their Campbell Ave warehouse into student lofts. I haven't talked with a single developer who thinks LU makes great real estate investments and I interact with a fair number of them.
Just because Liberty does it, it doesn't mean that it is particularly wise.
By TH Spangler
#552317 It's hard to go wrong investing near the airport and college?

Centra confirmed Thursday it is in the process of purchasing 48 acres of land for about $7.7 million. Centra has the land under contract and expects to close on the deal early next week, according to Joe Archambeault, Centra’s vice president of facilities and support services. The land stretches from Leesville Road to Airport Road to Simons Run and faces U.S. 460.

82-room Tru by Hilton hotel ..... During the planning process, Mehta said he and his partner discovered Centra planned to purchase the neighboring land to house a health care center, which motivated them to push the deal through ....... “We feel that’s not the end of it; we think this area is growing tremendously,” Mehta said, adding J&N wants the hotel open before Centra breaks ground so it can serve those building the health care center and its clients.

http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_lync ... df471.html
By ballcoach15
#552323 Something needs to be done with Ward's Road. Bad thing is, if a new business goes up, VDOT will probably install a new traffic light, thus making traffic even worst. I would like to see every traffic light on Ward's Road become non-operational for a week, just to see what happens with traffic.
By thepostman
#552333 People would be stuck in the wal mart parking lot for a really long time.

That whole area wasn't planned out at all. I'm not really sure what you do at this point. Building more is probably not the answer.