This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.
By JLFJR
#548641 And rogers3, there’s nothing unsustainable about a university spending their endowment as long as they’re earning more than they’re spending. Too many universities are spending more than they’re earning
By JLFJR
#548642 One final point: Obama nationalized student loans in this country in 2010 because that loan program generates a huge profit to the government. His plan was to use that profit to pay for Obamacare. Bottom line: student loans are not a government subsidy. They are a profit center for the Feds!
By Baldspot1
#548644 I lived on campus as a student and then as an employee for 10 years from the mid eighties to the mid nineties during some of the school’s most difficult financial times. For a period of time I serve as the HR benefits coordinator. I would routinely survey like size/minded universities to insure our staff were paid on par. I was really impressed the admin at that time was committed to this knowing how precarious the university’s financial situation was at the time. That being said, I fully appreciate JLFJR’s direction to keep us out of that predicament again.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#548645
Baldspot1 wrote:I lived on campus as a student and then as an employee for 10 years from the mid eighties to the mid nineties during some of the school’s most difficult financial times. For a period of time I serve as the HR benefits coordinator. I would routinely survey like size/minded universities to insure our staff were paid on par. I was really impressed the admin at that time was committed to this knowing how precarious the university’s financial situation was at the time. That being said, I fully appreciate JLFJR’s direction to keep us out of that predicament again.


I’d be interested to see who LU compared themselves to back then. I’d be interested to see who they compare themselves too now. Very few, if any, ‘like minded’ Institutions. Not trying to start a fuss, just genuinely curious
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
#548649
JLFJR wrote:My goal is to leave Liberty with enough endowment to permanently sustain the resident program assuming annual earnings of only 3-4% on the endowment and an enrollment of about 16000. We should very soon hit that mark but, until we do, it is good practice to assume the worst case scenario while praying for the best. ... With an enrollment of 16000, we will reach our financial goals for the university in the next few years. Once that happens, any surplus can go toward rewarding the best and brightest faculty and staff even more than we are now, among other things.


If this is the reason we are paying what we do, I can buy it an even support it as long as we do actually begin investing in our faculty and staff once we hit that 16,000 student mark. It’s one of those things where I have to trust we are going to do what we say we are going to do — which is hard at times — but I’ll give the school the benefit of the doubt for now.
By Baldspot1
#548655 It was probably a lot easier for us back then because LU was much smaller - along the lines of other private religiously based schools like Taylor, Messiah College, Wheaton etc. I left in ‘93 and have no idea who they would use today.

The point being I’m sure rogers3 sees one way to handle the subject over at Sweet Briar and I’m sure we all appreciate his concern for employees at another institution. I’m sure LU has areas to improve but I was glad to see LU’s concern for employee salaries at the same time we were having problems paying creditors. LU’s current plan to be financially secure over the long haul without relying on individual donors seems to be prudent.
By ALAFlamesFan
#548660 I echo the prudent business approach. I don't see that it has kept us from attacting enough staff.
Here at UA even with top football, 60% out of state student population and $1B campus facility improvements attandance will be down next year. Right now we are down 12% for incoming freshman class. Demographics are changing and a lot of smaller schools are going to be in financial trouble going forward because they are using an unsustainable model. LU ahould be the model going forward, not the exception.
By UVALibertyFan
#548661
tyndal23 wrote:Tower cams show dirt being pushed around where next dorm / dining hall slated to go just South of the lake - but haven't seen any announcements?

They are building a parking lot there for now around what appears would be the site for the dining hall later.
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#548666 Based on the comment of renovating the dorms on the Hill, will that also include renovation of the dorms located in south campus? That would be nice and the location should get a new or improved name to remind people of the past. I'm not sure what it would be called but I'm sure something will come up.
By JLFJR
#548686 South dorm renovations will come later. The Senior dorms/quads have already been or are in the process of undergoing interior renovations. We are obtaining approvals for a parking lot on the future site for the dining hall and Commons dorm 4 but will probably only create green space for students there for now.
User avatar
By LUAlum1215
#550174 Several projects were announced this morning at Convo on the Lawn. Namely the FOC expansion was announced with a brief image shown. The first thought I had when I saw it was the rendering Troy posted of theirs. That was probably the biggest athletics related project. They are building the School of Engineering adjacent to the School of Business, not down 460 at the CAER site in New London. The Hill dorms are being expanded to include a 4th level and common area, and Camp Hydaway lake will be expanded from its current 6 acres to 30 acres. He also said there were several stores in the works to move in to the mall. I’m sure I forgot something but those are the ones that stick out. I’m sure the school will be publishing something soon.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#550179 https://imgur.com/a/fEAQ1pi
By rtb72
#550223 As I go through all the great pics you guys are posting on both this thread and the Football thread....I am just awe struck at how our university has and is growing. It seems like just yesterday we were simply a small quaint Christian college tucked at the foot of the Virginia mountains. I think we are blessed with being alive to see this monumental expansion of our university. I generally don't make the trip until football season, but I don't think I can wait to see all that is going on in person. Makes me wish I were a student again.
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#550258
LUAlum1215 wrote:Several projects were announced this morning at Convo on the Lawn. Namely the FOC expansion was announced with a brief image shown. The first thought I had when I saw it was the rendering Troy posted of theirs. That was probably the biggest athletics related project. They are building the School of Engineering adjacent to the School of Business, not down 460 at the CAER site in New London. The Hill dorms are being expanded to include a 4th level and common area, and Camp Hydaway lake will be expanded from its current 6 acres to 30 acres. He also said there were several stores in the works to move in to the mall. I’m sure I forgot something but those are the ones that stick out. I’m sure the school will be publishing something soon.


When you say adjacent, are you implying that the school of business will be located where the parking lots and bookstore is located right now?
User avatar
By LUAlum1215
#550267 The school of business is where religion hall used to be. I’m not certain on which side of SOB the engineering school will be on, but I’m thinking the large parking lot (speakman lot) behind the bookstore as there isn’t much room on the opposite side of SOB.

Also, did anyone else catch that they used the old logo on the banner tape in the new arena rendering?
By badger74
#550315 I was about to question the plan to put engineering way out in New London. Made no sense to me--even if buildings were free. Glad I heard wrong. It needs to be on campus. New London can be used for research projects etc.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#550316 My wife made a fantastic observation today. Liberty is academically investing in fields with lucrative careers in an age of useless degrees in hyperfocused fields.

Business
Engineering
Osteopathic Medicine
Science
Law
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#550317 20Something, your wife is a genius, but she might want to add Aeronautics to her list.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#550319
Cider Jim wrote:20Something, your wife is a genius, but she might want to add Aeronautics to her list.


I don't tell her that enough. The school of Aeronautics has exploded as well. You're right!

We did discuss that we really love the idea of some of the post grad schools surrounding LUCOM and creating "Graduate Hill"
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#550531 What would be awesome is if the renovated FOC can design the hallway leading out towards the Bill to be lit like it is engulf with flames. Imagine the team coming out that hallway to actual flames when they hit the turf! The flying eagle is still another additional option as well lol.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#550532
cruzan_flame13 wrote:The flying eagle is still another additional option as well lol.

YES! Don't they do this at Auburn's home games? We need to make this happen.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#550533
Cider Jim wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:The flying eagle is still another additional option as well lol.

YES! Don't they do this at Auburn's home games? We need to make this happen.


It needs to launch from snowflex or the monogram. I want that guy to be cruising when he enters the stadium.
By BuryYourDuke
#550568 Why not have an eagle fly in, take a mallet out of the hand of a giant statue of Benjamin Franklin conversing with Dr. Falwell, fly over and strike a giant (much, much larger than the real thing) Liberty Bell! Also, lets have its wings dipped in some sort of napalm and light them before he takes off from the mountain, that way he will really be FLAMING! Then, a choir of animatronic founding father type characters will join the crowd (and team of course) in Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud To Be An American". Each player will then sign their signature to a "Declaration" to kick butt on the field before kickoff!!!! Also, Ronald Reagan holograms to greet fans as they enter the stadium (I know that goes without saying, just thought I would throw out an obvious suggestion).

:roll:
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#550571
BuryYourDuke wrote:Why not have an eagle fly in, take a mallet out of the hand of a giant statue of Benjamin Franklin conversing with Dr. Falwell, fly over and strike a giant (much, much larger than the real thing) Liberty Bell! Also, lets have its wings dipped in some sort of napalm and light them before he takes off from the mountain, that way he will really be FLAMING! Then, a choir of animatronic founding father type characters will join the crowd (and team of course) in Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud To Be An American". Each player will then sign their signature to a "Declaration" to kick butt on the field before kickoff!!!! Also, Ronald Reagan holograms to greet fans as they enter the stadium (I know that goes without saying, just thought I would throw out an obvious suggestion).

:roll:


"This issss theeee EXXXXX-EFFFFFF-ELLLLLLLLLLLL"

Yeah. That settles it. Bruce Buffer and Vince McMahon on the MC and PA duties.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#550574 Do they make a drone that looks like an eagle? :wink:
By Old Red
#550740 I always liked the idea of a "University Chapel" at the other end of the lawn. I know they'd have some height restrictions being that close to the end of the runway, but it could still look really good (from both the lawn & 460).
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#550742
Old Red wrote:I always liked the idea of a "University Chapel" at the other end of the lawn. I know they'd have some height restrictions being that close to the end of the runway, but it could still look really good (from both the lawn & 460).


It is still available in the master plan so that idea can still be possible.
User avatar
By alabama24
#550743
Old Red wrote:I always liked the idea of a "University Chapel" at the other end of the lawn. I know they'd have some height restrictions being that close to the end of the runway, but it could still look really good (from both the lawn & 460).


I don't think that would be an issue unless it were taller than the dorms already there.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#550746 So what style are we expecting? The campus is jeffersonian. Would we expect an oversized Chapel in red brick or something wooden and white? Something entirely different all together? There is already the chapel on the Hill that is seemingly unused. Would creating a Baptist cathedral be worth it? Something like Thorncrown may be what the admin is looking at.
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#550749
Class of 20Something wrote:So what style are we expecting? The campus is jeffersonian. Would we expect an oversized Chapel in red brick or something wooden and white? Something entirely different all together? There is already the chapel on the Hill that is seemingly unused. Would creating a Baptist cathedral be worth it? Something like Thorncrown may be what the admin is looking at.


https://www.liberty.edu/journal/article ... he-future/
(The pictures will change on it own and sketch of the chapel will be included)

As stated:
"A new prayer chapel is being planned near the south residential quad. Seating about 225, the new chapel will not only be a place for students, faculty, and staff to pray daily, but will also become an additional venue for weddings, which can be held inside or outside under an atrium. There is no expected start date for this project, but planners hope to have it constructed in the next three years."
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#550751 In comparison, UVa's on-campus chapel is gothic and not Jeffersonian:

http://www.virginia.edu/webmap/popPages ... Univ2.html
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#550756 Looks nicer than UVa's. :clapping
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#550759 So that render is over 5 years old now. I wonder if it is still the basis of what they want to do.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#550848 I noticed today that they are paving a new parking lot next to the Tower Theatre, just in time for graduation this Saturday. :clapping
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#550924 Yes, with asphalt.
By rogers3
#550941
LUAlum1215 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Did you see it being paved? I thought a parking garage was going in there.


A garage will eventually be built but for now just a parking lot. This was changed a couple of months ago.


I would think that a better spot for a garage would be in between the LaHaye rink and the rec center. Much bigger footprint and you could still keep the road through the center.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#550946
rogers3 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Did you see it being paved? I thought a parking garage was going in there.


A garage will eventually be built but for now just a parking lot. This was changed a couple of months ago.


I would think that a better spot for a garage would be in between the LaHaye rink and the rec center. Much bigger footprint and you could still keep the road through the center.



That's one of the better designs for ingress and egress
By rogers3
#550948
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That wouldn’t fit with the walking campus idea. If anything the garage will be behind the student recreation center or the LIC and all the parking lots in between will transition into a lawn area.

Well, walking all the way through that lot to a smaller garage closer to Candlers Mtn. Rd. just for the sake of walking is silly. There is nothing down there to walk to except LCA and the Tower Theater. A lot as a “hub” for venues all around it seems to make sense.
User avatar
By LUAlum1215
#550957
rogers3 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Did you see it being paved? I thought a parking garage was going in there.


A garage will eventually be built but for now just a parking lot. This was changed a couple of months ago.


I would think that a better spot for a garage would be in between the LaHaye rink and the rec center. Much bigger footprint and you could still keep the road through the center.


The road through the center has been gone for at least two years now; it’s all parking lot with access lanes on the perimeter. Having the garage closer to the edge of campus make egress easier. Once cars leave the garage they’re immediately dumping off campus. Yes, it means more walking once you’ve parked but that is the point of a walking campus.
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#550958
rogers3 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That wouldn’t fit with the walking campus idea. If anything the garage will be behind the student recreation center or the LIC and all the parking lots in between will transition into a lawn area.

Well, walking all the way through that lot to a smaller garage closer to Candlers Mtn. Rd. just for the sake of walking is silly. There is nothing down there to walk to except LCA and the Tower Theater. A lot as a “hub” for venues all around it seems to make sense.


Do you believe that LU will use all those lot to create a mega parking garage? They are still expecting the growth of student residents to reach 16k and maybe a little over. That area may help create necessary facilities/buildings if needed and that will include a lawn to continue the design from main campus. I don’t see how that could be depicted as silly. Of course this wouldn’t occur anytime soon but we’ll see what happens.