This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.
By Cider Jim
#541383 LU's newest bridge just opened yesterday, going over route 460, connecting south campus to east campus:

http://wset.com/news/local/lu-bridge-ov ... w-off-ramp
By Cider Jim
#541406 I drove over it today in my pickup truck: nice, new bridge with turning lanes and a much wider section for pedestrians.
By Cider Jim
ballcoach15 wrote:Rode across the new bridge yesterday with TF.

Was TF driving?

We should have gone over to BWW to watch the Iron Bowl. :football
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:Yes he dropped me off at David's Place where my truck was parked.

I can't call the new one David's place. David's place was where the baseball stadium is. The ratty building for the worship majors.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:There's a building on East Campus near tunnel entrance named David's Place. Not sure if it's utilized same as old David's Place at baseball stadium.

The Music and Worship programs both utilize the new School of Music.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:My only memory of the old one, is parking there in 2003 for the high school state championship game, between Gretna and Monticello.

Who was the QB of that Monticello team?
By Class of 20Something
Sly Fox wrote:Great memory, 20something! I believe he is on Rocco's staff these days.

His senior year was my sophomore at MHS. He did get that ring in 2007. I thought he was working up at the Big House in Ann Arbor.
By Purple Haize
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Rode across the new bridge yesterday with TF.

Was TF driving?

We should have gone over to BWW to watch the Iron Bowl. :football

We have a new 3 Way Bromance on the Board :x

By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:The Monticello QB was Joe Sanford. Mike Brown was a freshman DB on that team.

I was still in middle school at the time. I thought he got some regional honors on the Defensive side of the ball too. Dude was exactly the talent disparity scouts look for.
By Cider Jim
Neo wrote:New home for basketball is on its way.

LINK???

SOURCE??? (I hope it's not ballcoach).
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:
Neo wrote:New home for basketball is on its way.

LINK???

SOURCE??? (I hope it's not ballcoach).

Low key roast. Magnificent.
By cruzan_flame13
#542497 I’m not sure if Neo is serious, but the source that you can look into has been discussed since 2014. JJR did say they were interested in an arena and hopefully it be built in 5 years (was noted in News & Advance article in 2014). I have posted the source before but here it goes again:
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/l ... f6878.html

Again I will say that this information is not 100%, however we shouldn’t be surprised if this plan come into fruition soon.
By BuryYourDuke
#542502 If y'all haven't figured out who is worth listening to around here by now I can't help you.

Dude just pops up out of nowhere every once in a while with key info...that seems to be legit.

You can go back to asking him for sources now. :roll:
By Class of 20Something
BuryYourDuke wrote:If y'all haven't figured out who is worth listening to around here by now I can't help you.

Dude just pops up out of nowhere every once in a while with key info...that seems to be legit.

Last time he mentioned it he said between demoss and Vines. I wonder if that's still the plan.

He knew about the NMSU contract before it was public.
By thepostman
BuryYourDuke wrote:If y'all haven't figured out who is worth listening to around here by now I can't help you.

I trust nobody
By Cider Jim
#542508 I only want to know one detail: BIGGER or SMALLER than Vines?
By Class of 20Something
Neo wrote:Up on the mountain near the indoor track and pool.

Smaller.

He has spoken!
By rogers3
Neo wrote:
Smaller.

So football has a grand plan to build out significantly more than they have now while basketball plans to downsize. As was mentioned before, only a few here remember the days when the Vines was the place to be for a game and we had quite a few games that really filled the seats. It is a shame that our program is moving in the right direction and our facility is going backwards...opposite of the trend in football.
By BuryYourDuke
#542517 I don't know about the size of the new arena. However, less seating capacity wouldn't be a downgrade. The new facility is likely to be ultra modern, have top notch amenities, and offer a much better in game experience.

While the trend in football stadiums (for now) may be to go bigger, the trend in college basketball has certainly been the opposite. The toughest places for opponents to play aren't mega domes. By putting people in a smaller, fuller arena, the gameday atmosphere flourishes. VCU was a decent program with little to no fan support in Richmond for a couple of decades, playing in an outdated, much too large arena (sound familiar?). They would give away tickets to anyone and any group they could. Then they build a small, modern place that created a real atmosphere. Within 5 years it was one of the toughest places to play in the nation, and has an ongoing sellout streak of years.

That isn't a downgrade. It's a huge upgrade. The Vines was a great idea in 1990. It was built for what we needed and could afford back then. The new home for Flames Basketball is going to be amazing. Go ahead and get your season tickets, bc it won't be easy in a few years.
By olldflame
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Smaller arena - great.

Arena away from students - terrible.

That sums up so much.

I suspect they did not have a viable option to locate it closer to the dorms, but I'm sure there are plans to address the issue. A well run shuttle service would actually result in less effort for the students to get to games.

As far as the size is concerned, I hope they can hold off a bit to see how much interest the rapidly improving men's team can generate before committing to going too small. I've heard numbers as low as 3500, and that seems too small to me.
By Class of 20Something
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

That sums up so much.

I suspect they did not have a viable option to locate it closer to the dorms, but I'm sure there are plans to address the issue. A well run shuttle service would actually result in less effort for the students to get to games.

As far as the size is concerned, I hope they can hold off a bit to see how much interest the rapidly improving men's team can generate before committing to going too small. I've heard numbers as low as 3500, and that seems too small to me.

What is our record attendance in the past 10 years?
By ALAFlamesFan
#542528 So we just finished a state of the art practice facility and are going to up and move everything away from the heart of everything to the boondocks?
I agree a new arena will be nice but with enrollment going up how about moving convo to something new and renovating vines?
By olldflame
#542529 Over 8000 were there to see us get embarrassed by Clemson in Layer's first year, but that was because JR cancelled classes. I suspect the biggest legit crowds were in the 6000 range the year before with Curry and Co.
By ALAFlamesFan
What is our record attendance in the past 10 years?

We've been pretty terrible the last 10 years. The question is how many of the students who turn out for football could be persuaded to turn out for a good environment and solid top 100 team? I say a nicely thought out 5000 to 6000 seats would be optimal.
Last edited by ALAFlamesFan on December 9th, 2017, 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
By olldflame
ALAFlamesFan wrote:So we just finished a state of the art practice facility and are going to up and move everything away from the heart of everything to the boondocks?
I agree a new arena will be nice but with enrollment going up how about moving convo to something new and renovating vines?

We have spent a small fortune already on studies and plans to renovate the Vines, and nobody could come up with anything feasible and worth doing. The place is a dinosaur.
By cruzan_flame13
#542532 So they’re not going to locate the arena where Doc’s is situated at the moment? I thought that idea was a great one, especially the fact that a parking garage was going to be attached behind the arena and the pedestrian bridge coming from across the street(what was also stated was Doc’s would be relocated inside the the arena). I can’t believe they would put the basketball arena near the other facilities. With the capacity size, about 5k seemed reasonable; 3500 is not a good idea at all. I hope this plan will come into fruition soon so that it will benefit the established progress of the team so far. I also hope that in 7-8 years the teams (men&women) will have a name for themselves and that LU will be considered for a top tier conference during the conference realignment( like A-10; by a miracle Big East or Big 12).
By ALAFlamesFan
#542533 I agree. Put it somewhere close to the other major sports. Soccer and hockey get main campus but basketball is up the mountain?
By ballah09
ALAFlamesFan wrote:So we just finished a state of the art practice facility and are going to up and move everything away from the heart of everything to the boondocks?

They're still going to use the practice facility. We are in need of a new modern facility and 3500-4000 seats sounds about right. bigger games can get moved to the Vines.

As for student turnout. We need to establish a student club we have nothing on campus right now. The jokers are just a group of students. At least club you can organize. Next they need to put an awards system in place for students to entice them to come. Seriously someone needs to call GCU up and see how they do it.
By cruzan_flame13
ballah09 wrote:

They're still going to use the practice facility. We are in need of a new modern facility and 3500-4000 seats sounds about right. bigger games can get moved to the Vines.

As for student turnout. We need to establish a student club we have nothing on campus right now. The jokers are just a group of students. At least club you can organize. Next they need to put an awards system in place for students to entice them to come. Seriously someone needs to call GCU up and see how they do it.

I agree, the Flames club is not cutting it for students. Since these students are tech savy, we need folks who can connect with them in a way to get their interest. Not that this is wrong, but I see more people wearing other schools apparel than ours. I want the students here to get excited about their school first and then have some interest in whatever they supported at home.
By Purple Haize
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

That sums up so much.

I always heard size doesn’t matter.... :dontgetit Study :D

While a shuttle service might look like a fantastic idea on paper, and I don’t doubt it does, there is a ‘real world’ issue with it. I’ll just sum it up to say ‘out of sight out of mind’