This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Are you concerned for Liberty's future?

74%
26%
By adam42381
ballah09 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
LUconn wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/10/26/exclusive-jerry-falwell-jr-endorses-judge-roy-moore-for-u-s-senate/

Alternate headline: "Virginia resident endorses candidate in Alabama senate race."

Because he's only representing himself, right?

I wonder if Jr. walks this back or doubles down?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html

EDIT: Clarity.

yeah right

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/359779-falwell-jr-stands-by-moore-i-believe-the-judge-is-telling-the

gross.

He really is the worst. What a shame.
By Yacht Rock
Purple Haize wrote:I am separating the 2 But there is a huge different between being allowed to hang out on your own and being put in the care of a complete stranger.
If there were crazy things going on with the family that made the child easy prey, and Moore were truly a predator, this wouldn’t be an isolated incident with her but ongoing. Much longer and many more times than alleged
If the mother was involved in a Custody Dispute I would think having a stranger watch the person you want custody of?
The way the now woman describes the way the alleged assault took place also doesn’t sound genuine.
Finally there are all of the ancillary issues of motivation, timing etc.
so I am separating several of the issues

Sadly, like I said, I've seen so many scenarios like this play out in the system. The example of my cousin was just a family member but outside of that, with people who I don't know personally, I've seen situations like the one described play out.

I'm glad that you haven't seen parents act in this manner but there are a lot of parents that make terrible decisions on a regular basis. If you talk to a family law representative or a social worker, you might find that the mother's actions aren't unbelievable.
By Purple Haize
Yacht Rock wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I am separating the 2 But there is a huge different between being allowed to hang out on your own and being put in the care of a complete stranger.
If there were crazy things going on with the family that made the child easy prey, and Moore were truly a predator, this wouldn’t be an isolated incident with her but ongoing. Much longer and many more times than alleged
If the mother was involved in a Custody Dispute I would think having a stranger watch the person you want custody of?
The way the now woman describes the way the alleged assault took place also doesn’t sound genuine.
Finally there are all of the ancillary issues of motivation, timing etc.
so I am separating several of the issues

Sadly, like I said, I've seen so many scenarios like this play out in the system. The example of my cousin was just a family member but outside of that, with people who I don't know personally, I've seen situations like the one described play out.

I'm glad that you haven't seen parents act in this manner but there are a lot of parents that make terrible decisions on a regular basis. If you talk to a family law representative or a social worker, you might find that the mother's actions aren't unbelievable.

I’ve seen parents act in the most reprehensible way. I’ve been involved with DCS, Social Workers, Law Enforcement, Lawyers etc. I just find this scenario difficult to believe. I would be more apt to believe it if the Mom pimped her daughter out or this alleged abuse happened more then she says. He she had left her with her dealer or pimp I would buy it.
This isn’t the deciding factor for me in this situation. But it does end up in the ‘Makes me skeptical ‘ column
By Purple Haize
Yacht Rock wrote:Sadly I’ve seen a lot of cases where parents leave their kids with strangers.

I am not sure the ones I known would consider their dealer a stranger.
By rhezick
#540718 Wow great article. Insane this idiot is being considered for a Senate seat. Here's another article from George Will. If I was a resident of Alabama, Doug Jones would have my vote in a heartbeat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/roy-moore-is-an-embarrassment-doug-jones-deserves-to-win/2017/11/13/0dcb24e2-c89b-11e7-8321-481fd63f174d_story.html
By Purple Haize
rhezick wrote:Wow great article. Insane this idiot is being considered for a Senate seat. Here's another article from George Will. If I was a resident of Alabama, Doug Jones would have my vote in a heartbeat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/roy-moore-is-an-embarrassment-doug-jones-deserves-to-win/2017/11/13/0dcb24e2-c89b-11e7-8321-481fd63f174d_story.html

George Will has lost a lot of credibility. He is a firm Never Trumper. In fact I don’t think he listens to any music that has Trumpets in it.
By Purple Haize
rhezick wrote:Are credibility and the unwavering support of Trump a mandated link? More specific to this thread, does that logic also apply to our own dear leader as well?

When you have a sect of people who’s sole ambition is to derail someone on their own ‘Side’ they lose credibility. They are no different than the WaPo or NYT who declared their purpose pose to be to derail Trump and their reporting reflects that. George Will is wicked smart. But his analysis when it comes to all things Trump is tainted by his bias
By ballcoach15
#540746 There is only 1 democrat in the country that I would vote for, Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard.

If I was still living in Alabama, there's no way I would vote for Doug Jones. Judge Roy Moore would get my vote.
By JK37
#540748 You don’t have to like a person to vote for them. Nor does voting for them mean that one endorses everything they do.

Politics is messy. People never like seeing how the sausage is made. Capitalism is messy and mean and nasty. But it’s the best we’ve got.
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote:You don’t have to like a person to vote for them. Nor does voting for them mean that one endorses everything they do.

Politics is messy. People never like seeing how the sausage is made. Capitalism is messy and mean and nasty. But it’s the best we’ve got.

But we'd all be better off if we held them to the standard of no sexual assault of underage girls, right? Can we at least agree on that part?
By adam42381
Jonathan Carone wrote:
JK37 wrote:You don’t have to like a person to vote for them. Nor does voting for them mean that one endorses everything they do.

But we'd all be better off if we held them to the standard of no sexual assault of underage girls, right? Can we at least agree on that part?

I think there are plenty of people who would vote for a literal child molester if it meant keeping a Democrat from winning.
By Purple Haize
adam42381 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I think there are plenty of people who would vote for a literal child molester if it meant keeping a Democrat from winning.

Or Republican. Or Trumpian
By LUminary
Jonathan Carone wrote:

Totally agree, IF the person is guilty of it. That's the part that a lot of people are ignoring in this case. Smoke doesn't always = fire, especially when the timing of the charges is suspect - many years later and in the midst of a political race. Unfortunately, Trump haters and folks on the left automatically assume Moore is guilty. And maybe he is. Given the number of accusers, maybe he is. But who knows? Voters aren't likely to know by the time they step into the booth, which makes it difficult unless they assume he's guilty (or innocent) without really knowing.
By rhezick
#540773 Wonder how many will change their tune now that the almighty Hannity has urged Moore to step down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/11/15/even-sean-hannity-has-had-it-with-roy-moore-gives-him-24-hours-to-explain-inconsistencies/
By Purple Haize
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Another great take from a guy i am proud to call a friend.

https://nyti.ms/2juXAwB

Defend no matter what? Interesting phrase.
By Yacht Rock
#540821 Sadly, it’s common for a lot of assaults or harassment to go unreported. If people feel they are the only victim, they may feel that no one will believe them (which is what we see happening). We are taking a turn as a society but there are many, many, many things that have been done to women, men, girls, boys, that never see the light of day. It doesn’t mean they didn’t happen though and when someone decides it’s time to speak up, good for them.
By Purple Haize
Yacht Rock wrote:Sadly, it’s common for a lot of assaults or harassment to go unreported. If people feel they are the only victim, they may feel that no one will believe them (which is what we see happening). We are taking a turn as a society but there are many, many, many things that have been done to women, men, girls, boys, that never see the light of day. It doesn’t mean they didn’t happen though and when someone decides it’s time to speak up, good for them.

That’s where your narrative doesn’t fit this story. IF the takes are to be believed EVERYONE knew so these girls, if they truly felt violated, would have known they are not the only ones.
By Yacht Rock
#540831 Who knows if the same people who thought he was a creep talked with the people who were allegedly assaulted, etc. Don’t have a board up in my house with pictures and thread connecting everyone. Growing up in a small town myself, there are times when the things people thing everyone knew, not everyone really knew. In some ways it’s not unlike what’s going on in Hollywood though. The casting couch has been a joke for decades and now, all of these stories are coming to light. Things happen and people don’t want to talk about them and it happens a lot.
By Purple Haize
Yacht Rock wrote:Who knows if the same people who thought he was a creep talked with the people who were allegedly assaulted, etc. Don’t have a board up in my house with pictures and thread connecting everyone. Growing up in a small town myself, there are times when the things people thing everyone knew, not everyone really knew. In some ways it’s not unlike what’s going on in Hollywood though. The casting couch has been a joke for decades and now, all of these stories are coming to light. Things happen and people don’t want to talk about them and it happens a lot.

Fair enough. But listening to news reports you wouldn’t need a board up in your house ‘everyone knew’. So I agree to a point. Maybe everyone didn’t know because there was nothing to know. At least nothing illegal
By Sly Fox
#541416 Taking a look at pics of the new bridge, I was reminded to check the latest version of the Master Plan. We are maximizing every piece of flat ground that we currently own.