This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.
By Purple Haize
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:There actually is a legitimate sample to use for attendance. What was the attendance figure when LU and VT played last season. That would be a good gauge as to the high end of expected attendance

62,234. Capacity is just over 66,000.

It seemed like a lot less than that. I was thinking an actual number was low to mid 50's
So the LU game was on the low end of their attendance meter but bolstered some by the fact it was the new regimes first game.
Take out the LU fans, who travel well, and ask 'Does LU have that same number of fans who will come week in week out?" That's where you can start ball parking Your need for expansion
By TH Spangler
ballcoach15 wrote:Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

Just wait until Alabama or Auburn comes to Williams Stadium.

Round trip bus services to Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, VA
http://rallybus.net/virginia-tech-hokies/

Do you think we'll see something like this to Williams?
By Cider Jim
#534071 They charge $50 to drive you round trip from Lynchburg to Blacksburg? And I'm sure that doesn't include a ticket to the game. :football
By thepostman
#534073 A slow and steady build up of the bill is the way to go. I am fairly certain the AD has hinted at that in interviews as well. You want to create demand and not build too fast. It'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next decade.
By Purple Haize
thepostman wrote:A slow and steady build up of the bill is the way to go. I am fairly certain the AD has hinted at that in interviews as well. You want to create demand and not build too fast. It'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next decade.

That would be how smart people will do it. Have people start complaining that they can't get tickets. Then you'll see if you have demand
By LUAlum1215
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:A slow and steady build up of the bill is the way to go. I am fairly certain the AD has hinted at that in interviews as well. You want to create demand and not build too fast. It'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next decade.

That would be how smart people will do it. Have people start complaining that they can't get tickets. Then you'll see if you have demand

This. Exactly.
By thepostman
ballcoach15 wrote:Slow build is ok, but it not be good to have a construction zone at stadium for 10 years, might be better to build and get it over with. Construction could affect parking and entering or leaving stadium.

If it was a slow build you could easily accomplish each phase during the off season. Plan it out in phases with certain demand thresholds in place to trigger the next phase.

I get it that everybody wants a huge stadium and I can't wait to see what the bill evolves into but lets be smart.

Also LU has been a construction zone for years. I am sure it'll continue.
By cruzan_flame13
#534079 I am sure that they will still have the phases in mind for this project as they have with the entire campus. The thing is that I hope the Bill will be an architecture that will gain a lot of exposure when it comes to athletics. I'm not saying it's bad to have a Jeffersonian architecture on the entire exterior of the stadium, but it will look good if it isn't so blended in with everything else on campus. Of course the first phase is already completed, but they can design+build something quite out of the ordinary with the next phase or two. I don't think it would be that bad to have a little modernization in the design. Nonetheless, I don't see that happening unfortunately.
By TH Spangler
Cider Jim wrote:They charge $50 to drive you round trip from Lynchburg to Blacksburg? And I'm sure that doesn't include a ticket to the game. :football

It includes parking though! I paid $25 @ VT last year and still had to walk a mile and a half. :lol:
By Class of 20Something
#535630 Most recent rumor I have heard is plans for an 11 story hospital flanked by fire and LUPD near the bottom of graduate hill. Just beyond the bridge behind Chili's.

Anyone have any insight?
By Kolzilla41
Class of 20Something wrote:Most recent rumor I have heard is plans for an 11 story hospital flanked by fire and LUPD near the bottom of graduate hill. Just beyond the bridge behind Chili's.

Anyone have any insight?

Saw this the other day http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_lynchburg/news/update-new-hotel-centra-facility-coming-to-campbell-county/article_7154f9f6-7851-11e7-ab13-5bb3787df471.html
By LUAlum1215
Class of 20Something wrote:Most recent rumor I have heard is plans for an 11 story hospital flanked by fire and LUPD near the bottom of graduate hill. Just beyond the bridge behind Chili's.

Anyone have any insight?

I haven't heard anything of the like. There was a piece of land donated to Campbell County from LU designated for a new fire/ems station however the county would have to pay to build, equip, and staff it entirely and have it open within a 10 year period. If they were unable to do so the land would return to LU. Last I heard was that it did not look likely to happen. As far a source LUPD, I've heard traces of things but all have been vastly different and none seem to be in the foreseeable future.
By Class of 20Something
#538089 That's where the innovation center was supposed to be but I thought that got scrapped with the CAER purchase.

The camera on the IPF got moved to Williams Stadium.
By Cider Jim
#538090 Commons 4?
By soccer7
ballah09 wrote:
I thought Commons 4 was gonna be on the old dorm 7 site, overlooking the pond.
This looks like it’s where the old softball field was.

Unless something has changed that's where it is going.

I do think they changed this plan. I believe a stand alone dinning facility is going where dorm 7 use to be.
By Cider Jim
#538110 See the Master Plan map: http://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/index.cfm?PID=27631
By Cider Jim
#538120 According to Mark Hine on FB, it's going to be a parking lot.
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:According to Mark Hine on FB, it's going to be a parking lot.

I hope it's a parking garage and not just a lot. #FBSBound
By Class of 20Something
#538153 Live Cams have been updated.

The old softball field is the new School of Engineering.

New camera on the School of Business from the top of Demoss.
By Kolzilla41
Class of 20Something wrote:Live Cams have been updated.

The new School of Engineering is being built out at the New London park, next to the CERE (Center for Energy, Research, and Education).
By Class of 20Something
Kolzilla41 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Live Cams have been updated.

The new School of Engineering is being built out at the New London park, next to the CERE (Center for Energy, Research, and Education).

That's what I said earlier in the week but tell the construction crew that. Liberty just labeled it as such.
By LUAlum1215
soccer7 wrote:
ballah09 wrote:
I thought Commons 4 was gonna be on the old dorm 7 site, overlooking the pond.
This looks like it’s where the old softball field was.

Unless something has changed that's where it is going.

I do think they changed this plan. I believe a stand alone dinning facility is going where dorm 7 use to be.

I have not heard this but will try to get clarification tomorrow. I’m still told C4 with the incorporated dining hall is going on the old dorm 7 site.
By soccer7
#538218 The school of Engineering is going where the old softball field was. You can find it on the VMDO website. It is really nice! I couldn't find a link to take you there so if someone knows how please share. The will have a mechanics garage which I thought was a great addition. Thank you LUAlum for checking on the stand alone dining facility. I look forward to seeing what they do. Look forward the the nursing program getting their own facility as well.
By Class of 20Something
#538224 Webcam page has been updated again. It is indeed a parking lot.
By cruzan_flame13
soccer7 wrote:The school of Engineering is going where the old softball field was. You can find it on the VMDO website. It is really nice! I couldn't find a link to take you there so if someone knows how please share. The will have a mechanics garage which I thought was a great addition. Thank you LUAlum for checking on the stand alone dining facility. I look forward to seeing what they do. Look forward the the nursing program getting their own facility as well.

The source you're using for the school of engineering is from a year ago. Things have changed since then.
By Purple Haize
ballcoach15 wrote:What is the large hole for , that I saw dug on the edge of the band practice field ?

It where they keep all the stuff they sweep under the rug
By Cider Jim
ballcoach15 wrote:What is the large hole for , that I saw dug on the edge of the band practice field ?

Ballcoach, my understanding it that area is going to be LU's newest parking lot.
By jinxy
#539913 That would be great. Their will be some changes to bball parking with half the main commuter lot torn up for the business school.
By SumItUp
ballcoach15 wrote:I predict a lot of problems with basketball parking this season.

I have often thought that LU should eliminate all reserved parking and just have "first come, first served" parking, campus wide.

I've always thought that those that are fans of Liberty athletics should be a member of the Flames Club.
By Cider Jim
#540851 Walking across campus yesterday, I noticed the students' side concessions and bathroom building was being town down at Wiilliams Stadium, as the expansion continues!
By Sly Fox
#540900 The entire project should be kicking into gear on that side of the stadium. I love that they were able to get a rolling start with standards for the upper deck before the season ended.
By Class of 20Something
#540926 I'm really curious if they can swing getting the "bowl" done. I don't doubt the grand stand and tower. They've done it before. But that bowl, the entry way, and all the brick they showed for the pathways. Oh and rerouting university Blvd with a new roundabout at the bridge.
By Cider Jim
#540929 I secretly hoped that the old nacho cheese machine was part of the concession stands demo. :pray