This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.
By Neo
#533723 Most recent rumor on the new arena:

It will be put between the Vines and Demoss. This will allow it to be treated as an overflow facility for large events and/or Convo.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#533731
Neo wrote:Most recent rumor on the new arena:

It will be put between the Vines and Demoss. This will allow it to be treated as an overflow facility for large events and/or Convo.


Interesting.
I was sort of envisioning it over by the Track and Aquatic center in order to keep it company. Plenty of room for Parking and expansion
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#533739
ballcoach15 wrote:If they put it near Vines Center, it will not affect parking, (there is none).

I wish LU would build a parking garage between Vines and 460.


I don't think they want anything obstructing the view of the campus from 460. It's literally free advertising.

Speaking of advertising, the sign on University Blvd, between Williams Stadium and 460 is being replaced. There are two large concrete footers that look spaced for a standard billboard viewable from both the highway and the university.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#533740
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:If they put it near Vines Center, it will not affect parking, (there is none).

I wish LU would build a parking garage between Vines and 460.


I don't think they want anything obstructing the view of the campus from 460. It's literally free advertising.

Speaking of advertising, the sign on University Blvd, between Williams Stadium and 460 is being replaced. There are two large concrete footers that look spaced for a standard billboard viewable from both the highway and the university.


That's smart and common sense should have dictated that happen (with both signs visible from 460) when they first put them up
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#533741 Oh, right in front of the new indoor Football Practice Facility, they have a new red brick wall with "Liberty University" signage that looks as classy as it can be. And just in time for New Student Orientation today!
Last edited by Cider Jim on July 17th, 2017, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#533744
Cider Jim wrote:Oh, right in front of the new indoor Football Practice Facility, they have a new stone wall with "Liberty University" signage that looks as classy as it can be. And just in time for New Student Orientation today!


Took a walk on campus Sunday and took pics. Ill post the album soon.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#533745 http://imgur.com/a/I0FlZ

Album delivered.
User avatar
By alabama24
#533746
Purple Haize wrote:The best thought for a new arena IMO is where the Indoor Practice Facility is now. But since that spot is taken no telling


:dontgetit

If you had said "where the hockey arena is," I would have agreed with you.
By cruzan_flame13
#533747 I believe where they have the arena planned (Doc's plus parking lot) is perfect for a few main reasons:

1. Very visible for free advertisement.
2. Away from the main campus where it would be crowded(thinking of the growth of basketball and the increase of support/fans).
3. Easy to enter and leave during an event(the addition of a parking garage and the development of Liberty Mountain Drive).
4. Help exhibit an impressive look of the college campus during live broadcasting (my opinion on this one but the trees and dorms in the background helps with advertising).
5. The students on East would have no excuse to get involved with activities (lived on East and there's a stereotype about the East Campus community that is somewhat true).
6. Docs will be inside the facility so people would like to check out the arena and other units inside.
7. Start of a new era(basically a boost of the previous eras) of basketball, volleyball, wrestling, s.o.a.r dunk, and other activities.

*Side Note: I notice Purple mention the area where the indoor track/nanatorium is located. That wouldn't be a good idea for four reasons:

1. Not really visible from the main campus
2. Don't want too many facilities away from campus especially for recruiting visitation.
3. They're building a new cross country course around that area so that area was meant for running plus swimming.
4. From the master plan, there might be more dorms and businesses/hospitality in that area. This may also include a gas station (they say this plan is tentative but that's usually what's said fot most of the projects).
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#533751 Your #2's contradict each other

I liked it where the Indoor Practice Facility is because it would tie in nicely with everything over there. While incredibly awesome the IPF really only has 1 use. You'd hav great ingress/egress as well, something LU is historically not noted for!!

The reason I was thinking over by the Indoor Track area is because putting something massive over there with what is already existing would be super cool. The drawback is that it is a little further from the main campus. Whereas the IPF is right there. But since they won't tear the IPF down it's all up in the air
By cruzan_flame13
#533752
Purple Haize wrote:Your #2's contradict each other

I liked it where the Indoor Practice Facility is because it would tie in nicely with everything over there. While incredibly awesome the IPF really only has 1 use. You'd hav great ingress/egress as well, something LU is historically not noted for!!

The reason I was thinking over by the Indoor Track area is because putting something massive over there with what is already existing would be super cool. The drawback is that it is a little further from the main campus. Whereas the IPF is right there. But since they won't tear the IPF down it's all up in the air



I was stating that the area at east is not on main campus (like where the vines is located) but it wouldn't be good at the location of ITF because that's off campus (basically). So it would be on campus but not clustered with the academic precinct. If it would be by the indoor track, it would be quite far and I'm not sure if people would head up there for games during the weekdays.

First #2: Stating that it wouldn't be clustured on main campus/academic precinct area (although still on a reachable part of campus).

Second #2: Stating that it's basically 'off' campus (although it's not, it sure feels like it) and not an easily reachable area that students and some others might make the trip to (those who don't have cars or do not use their cars as much).
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#533753
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Your #2's contradict each other

I liked it where the Indoor Practice Facility is because it would tie in nicely with everything over there. While incredibly awesome the IPF really only has 1 use. You'd hav great ingress/egress as well, something LU is historically not noted for!!

The reason I was thinking over by the Indoor Track area is because putting something massive over there with what is already existing would be super cool. The drawback is that it is a little further from the main campus. Whereas the IPF is right there. But since they won't tear the IPF down it's all up in the air



I was stating that the area at east is not on main campus (like where the vines is located) but it wouldn't be good at the location of ITF because that's off campus (basically). So it would be on campus but not clustered with the academic precinct. If it would be by the indoor track, it would be quite far and I'm not sure if people would head up there for games during the weekdays.

First #2: Stating that it wouldn't be clustured on main campus/academic precinct area (although still on a reachable part of campus).

Second #2: Stating that it's basically 'off' campus (although it's not, it sure feels like it) and not an easily reachable area that students and some others might make the trip to (those who don't have cars or do not use their cars as much).


Can you two just find something you agree on? Is no thread safe from your incessant bickering?
By ATrain
#533754
Class of 20Something wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Your #2's contradict each other

I liked it where the Indoor Practice Facility is because it would tie in nicely with everything over there. While incredibly awesome the IPF really only has 1 use. You'd hav great ingress/egress as well, something LU is historically not noted for!!

The reason I was thinking over by the Indoor Track area is because putting something massive over there with what is already existing would be super cool. The drawback is that it is a little further from the main campus. Whereas the IPF is right there. But since they won't tear the IPF down it's all up in the air



I was stating that the area at east is not on main campus (like where the vines is located) but it wouldn't be good at the location of ITF because that's off campus (basically). So it would be on campus but not clustered with the academic precinct. If it would be by the indoor track, it would be quite far and I'm not sure if people would head up there for games during the weekdays.

First #2: Stating that it wouldn't be clustured on main campus/academic precinct area (although still on a reachable part of campus).

Second #2: Stating that it's basically 'off' campus (although it's not, it sure feels like it) and not an easily reachable area that students and some others might make the trip to (those who don't have cars or do not use their cars as much).


Can you two just find something you agree on? Is no thread safe from your incessant bickering?


They're like an old married couple
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#533755
ATrain wrote:
They're like an old married couple


Except not adorable.
User avatar
By LUAlum1215
#533757
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:If they put it near Vines Center, it will not affect parking, (there is none).

I wish LU would build a parking garage between Vines and 460.


I don't think they want anything obstructing the view of the campus from 460. It's literally free advertising.

Speaking of advertising, the sign on University Blvd, between Williams Stadium and 460 is being replaced. There are two large concrete footers that look spaced for a standard billboard viewable from both the highway and the university.


If you're talking about what I think you are, the footers are for electric line poles/supports. Over this past weekend they pulled down old lines and are putting up new ones. If you look at East behind the dorms there has been significant clearing of the woods- all making way for new power lines.
By cruzan_flame13
#533758
Class of 20Something wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Your #2's contradict each other

I liked it where the Indoor Practice Facility is because it would tie in nicely with everything over there. While incredibly awesome the IPF really only has 1 use. You'd hav great ingress/egress as well, something LU is historically not noted for!!

The reason I was thinking over by the Indoor Track area is because putting something massive over there with what is already existing would be super cool. The drawback is that it is a little further from the main campus. Whereas the IPF is right there. But since they won't tear the IPF down it's all up in the air



I was stating that the area at east is not on main campus (like where the vines is located) but it wouldn't be good at the location of ITF because that's off campus (basically). So it would be on campus but not clustered with the academic precinct. If it would be by the indoor track, it would be quite far and I'm not sure if people would head up there for games during the weekdays.

First #2: Stating that it wouldn't be clustured on main campus/academic precinct area (although still on a reachable part of campus).

Second #2: Stating that it's basically 'off' campus (although it's not, it sure feels like it) and not an easily reachable area that students and some others might make the trip to (those who don't have cars or do not use their cars as much).


Can you two just find something you agree on? Is no thread safe from your incessant bickering?



What are you talking about? I was just expressing what I meant by both reasons. You took it as bickering but that was not my attempt.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#533759
Class of 20Something wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Your #2's contradict each other

I liked it where the Indoor Practice Facility is because it would tie in nicely with everything over there. While incredibly awesome the IPF really only has 1 use. You'd hav great ingress/egress as well, something LU is historically not noted for!!

The reason I was thinking over by the Indoor Track area is because putting something massive over there with what is already existing would be super cool. The drawback is that it is a little further from the main campus. Whereas the IPF is right there. But since they won't tear the IPF down it's all up in the air



I was stating that the area at east is not on main campus (like where the vines is located) but it wouldn't be good at the location of ITF because that's off campus (basically). So it would be on campus but not clustered with the academic precinct. If it would be by the indoor track, it would be quite far and I'm not sure if people would head up there for games during the weekdays.

First #2: Stating that it wouldn't be clustured on main campus/academic precinct area (although still on a reachable part of campus).

Second #2: Stating that it's basically 'off' campus (although it's not, it sure feels like it) and not an easily reachable area that students and some others might make the trip to (those who don't have cars or do not use their cars as much).


Can you two just find something you agree on? Is no thread safe from your incessant bickering?


This was not bickering. He did a good job explaining his statements and I would have said as much and do so now. I don't necessarily agree but see his point.

Maybe you should try to reduce your caffeine intake or a lower sugared cereal in the morning grumpy pants
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#533760
Class of 20Something wrote:
ATrain wrote:
They're like an old married couple


Except not adorable.


I'm more adorable than a freakin basket of puppies!
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#533761
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Class of 20Somethin[quote="cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Your #2's contradict each other

I liked it where the Indoor Practice Facility is because it would tie in nicely with everything over there. While incredibly awesome the IPF really only has 1 use. You'd hav great ingress/egress as well, something LU is historically not noted for!!

The reason I was thinking over by the Indoor Track area is because putting something massive over there with what is already existing would be super cool. The drawback is that it is a little further from the main campus. Whereas the IPF is right there. But since they won't tear the IPF down it's all up in the air



I was stating that the area at east is not on main campus (like where the vines is located) but it wouldn't be good at the location of ITF because that's off campus (basically). So it would be on campus but not clustered with the academic precinct. If it would be by the indoor track, it would be quite far and I'm not sure if people would head up there for games during the weekdays.

First #2: Stating that it wouldn't be clustured on main campus/academic precinct area (although still on a reachable part of campus).

Second #2: Stating that it's basically 'off' campus (although it's not, it sure feels like it) and not an easily reachable area that students and some others might make the trip to (those who don't have cars or do not use their cars as much).


Can you two just find something you agree on? Is no thread safe from your incessant bickering?



What are you talking about? I was just expressing what I meant by both reasons. You took it as bickering but that was not my attempt.[/quote]

I didn't take it as bickering. I thought it was a refreshing well thought out and concise clarification and responded accordingly
By rogers3
#533764
Purple Haize wrote:In the back of my mind I think the powers that be are still clinging to the Civic Center option. Not 100% sure where you'd build it. The best thought for a new arena IMO is where the Indoor Practice Facility is now. But since that spot is taken no telling


Or the current TRBC location, since I think LU owns it now.
User avatar
By LUAlum1215
#533788
LUAlum1215 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:If they put it near Vines Center, it will not affect parking, (there is none).

I wish LU would build a parking garage between Vines and 460.


I don't think they want anything obstructing the view of the campus from 460. It's literally free advertising.

Speaking of advertising, the sign on University Blvd, between Williams Stadium and 460 is being replaced. There are two large concrete footers that look spaced for a standard billboard viewable from both the highway and the university.


If you're talking about what I think you are, the footers are for electric line poles/supports. Over this past weekend they pulled down old lines and are putting up new ones. If you look at East behind the dorms there has been significant clearing of the woods- all making way for new power lines.


Confirmed: The footings are for large power line poles. No new sign in that area.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#533789 Kinda sad. That old sign is kinda dinky
By rhezick
#533863
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:In the back of my mind I think the powers that be are still clinging to the Civic Center option. Not 100% sure where you'd build it. The best thought for a new arena IMO is where the Indoor Practice Facility is now. But since that spot is taken no telling


Or the current TRBC location, since I think LU owns it now.


When did that happen? I thought that was all hypothetical talk Jonathan spoke of but did that actually take place?
By rogers3
#533869
rhezick wrote:
When did that happen? I thought that was all hypothetical talk Jonathan spoke of but did that actually take place?


This is referenced as the church building in city records, but I think it its the LCA portion of the facility. Don't think the church has changed hands, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it did.

ParcelViewer
Parcel ID Property Address
13001008 3701 CANDLERS MOUNTAIN RD
Help and Contact Information Help and Contact Information
SummaryImprovementsOwnership HistoryAssessmentNeighborhood SalesProperty Tax
Ownership History

Sale Date Sale Amount Seller's Name Buyer's Name Document No Deed Bk / Pg Conveyance
2/1/2017 $0 THOMAS ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH LIBERTY UNIVERSITY INC 170000620 DEED
By Yacht Rock
#533872 Yeah, I had heard from several sources over the last year that Liberty bought the LCA building and I've started getting several emails from Liberty asking if we're interested in sending our kids to LCA.

The irony.
By rhezick
#533873
rogers3 wrote:
rhezick wrote:
When did that happen? I thought that was all hypothetical talk Jonathan spoke of but did that actually take place?


This is referenced as the church building in city records, but I think it its the LCA portion of the facility. Don't think the church has changed hands, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it did.

ParcelViewer
Parcel ID Property Address
13001008 3701 CANDLERS MOUNTAIN RD
Help and Contact Information Help and Contact Information
SummaryImprovementsOwnership HistoryAssessmentNeighborhood SalesProperty Tax
Ownership History

Sale Date Sale Amount Seller's Name Buyer's Name Document No Deed Bk / Pg Conveyance
2/1/2017 $0 THOMAS ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH LIBERTY UNIVERSITY INC 170000620 DEED


Interesting. I mean that's pretty definitive. Wonder if the plans to move the church are taking shape.
User avatar
By Sly Fox
#533892 I have no direct knowledge whatsoever. But what if this part of a move away from LCA being operated by TRBC toward LU? Just spitballing.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#533895
Sly Fox wrote:I have no direct knowledge whatsoever. But what if this part of a move away from LCA being operated by TRBC toward LU? Just spitballing.


Well the Liberty University Online Academy is already a thing. It could make sense to tie it into LCA rather than LU. Liberty Christian Academy Online is more clear anyway.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#533961 LU is now the first "Purple Heart University" in Virginia. :clapping

http://wset.com/news/local/liberty-univ ... n-virginia
By ballcoach15
#533977 LCA should stay a part of TRBC, and not become part of LU.

There are a few folks who think trbc is part of LU now. The college is an arm of the church, not the church an arm of college. I hear people using the term semester when talking about church .
Church is a 52 weeks a year , we are not on semesters.
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#533980
ballcoach15 wrote:LCA should stay a part of TRBC, and not become part of LU.

There are a few folks who think trbc is part of LU now. The college is an arm of the church, not the church an arm of college. I hear people using the term semester when talking about church .
Church is a 52 weeks a year , we are not on semesters.


It's somehow uncomfortable wholeheartedly agreeing with you. I know the school is trying to play "hearts and minds" with the local community, but somehow it doesn't feel like it is Christ lead. It feels PR lead.

I think TRBC and LCA need their own separate facilities away from LU. I think part of why it feels like TRBC is an arm of the college is because the college has a $2B endowment and is creeping slowly towards the church with every new job. TRBC is a big church. LU is a bigger school.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#533985
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:LCA should stay a part of TRBC, and not become part of LU.

There are a few folks who think trbc is part of LU now. The college is an arm of the church, not the church an arm of college. I hear people using the term semester when talking about church .
Church is a 52 weeks a year , we are not on semesters.


It's somehow uncomfortable wholeheartedly agreeing with you. I know the school is trying to play "hearts and minds" with the local community, but somehow it doesn't feel like it is Christ lead. It feels PR lead.

I think TRBC and LCA need their own separate facilities away from LU. I think part of why it feels like TRBC is an arm of the college is because the college has a $2B endowment and is creeping slowly towards the church with every new job. TRBC is a big church. LU is a bigger school.


You are not wrong but they will be forever linked as long as the Falwell's are involved. In the 80's it was TRBC that garnered the spotlight. A lot of that happened after Jerry Sr died. Since he was the figure head of both, you could promote both. Now Jerry Falwell is STILL running the University and is considered a Christian Evangelical Leader. Just because he has JR at the end of his name. No one outside of the LU Bubble has any idea who Jonathon Falwell is. So the Church has taken itself out of the National and maybe Regional spotlight while the University,
led by a name we all now, has done the opposite
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#533995 Williams Stadium is going to need to accelerate the seating additions. VT is going to bring a few people to town.
By ballcoach15
#533999 Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

Just wait until Alabama or Auburn comes to Williams Stadium.
By cruzan_flame13
#534003
ballcoach15 wrote:Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

Just wait until Alabama or Auburn comes to Williams Stadium.


They could design the stadium to a max of 50-60k if needed especially for a VT or even another notable P5 school. Funny that you brought up Auburn, because I wouldn't be surprise if their is a negotiation to have a 2-1 with them in the future. For Alabama, maybe not so close in the future or during the Saban era. Of course I could be wrong with that too. Is it just me or does it seem like the Bill will be a complete bowl after the designs are completed?
User avatar
By LUAlum1215
#534061
ballcoach15 wrote:Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

Just wait until Alabama or Auburn comes to Williams Stadium.


I hope they don't build the Bill to this level, for two reasons. Just because that many people would come, and I believe they would for a VT or most P5 team, doesn't mean they should. Is it worth having 20-30k empty seats when we host ODU just because we would fill them with Hokie fans? I submit it creates a much better environment to have fewer seats, say 40k-ish that would be easier to fill on a weekly basis than to see so many empties with G5 and FCS games.

NASCAR is seeing this firsthand. During the popularity boom of the sport in the late 90s to early 00s most tracks added seats upon seats because there was a demand for it. Now you can't watch a race without seeing large chunks of aluminum. Having fewer empty seats not only looks more aesthetically pleasing but puts a premium on the ticket as well. More demand than supply means more $$$.

The second reason is that we don't have the infrastructure to handle that many people for a game. Anyone that was here for commencement this past spring knows how crazy that was- with only about 45k people. Without creating ALOT parking up the mountain and using shuttles there just aren't enough options for parking or traffic in and out.
By cruzan_flame13
#534062
LUAlum1215 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

Just wait until Alabama or Auburn comes to Williams Stadium.


I hope they don't build the Bill to this level, for two reasons. Just because that many people would come, and I believe they would for a VT or most P5 team, doesn't mean they should. Is it worth having 20-30k empty seats when we host ODU just because we would fill them with Hokie fans? I submit it creates a much better environment to have fewer seats, say 40k-ish that would be easier to fill on a weekly basis than to see so many empties with G5 and FCS games.

NASCAR is seeing this firsthand. During the popularity boom of the sport in the late 90s to early 00s most tracks added seats upon seats because there was a demand for it. Now you can't watch a race without seeing large chunks of aluminum. Having fewer empty seats not only looks more aesthetically pleasing but puts a premium on the ticket as well. More demand than supply means more $$$.

The second reason is that we don't have the infrastructure to handle that many people for a game. Anyone that was here for commencement this past spring knows how crazy that was- with only about 45k people. Without creating ALOT parking up the mountain and using shuttles there just aren't enough options for parking or traffic in and out.



You have a reasonable statement about the capacity of the Bill. I would hope that 45k would be enough for the school for the next few years or so. I also understand the concern of the lack of attendance for a G5 or FCS school. You might want to consider more visitors and residents in the future who will attend LU games will increase as the athletic programs build up. Looking at the parking situation, your concern is factual based on what we have now. That's why the master plan is not completed even though at times media has been saying otherwise. The first phase of the plan is near completion but there's so much to go. When it comes to parking, they'll be a few parking garages and parking areas all around campus plus the options for spectators to come on campus and to leave campus appropriately after events. This is not only for football but for other events. That's why the vehicular bridge is being built, new exits and other plans for folks to consider parking and walking rather than causing traffic. For now, it might seem like not a good idea, but when they start building other parking and shuttle options, then it wouldn't be much of a concern.
User avatar
By LUAlum1215
#534063
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

Just wait until Alabama or Auburn comes to Williams Stadium.


I hope they don't build the Bill to this level, for two reasons. Just because that many people would come, and I believe they would for a VT or most P5 team, doesn't mean they should. Is it worth having 20-30k empty seats when we host ODU just because we would fill them with Hokie fans? I submit it creates a much better environment to have fewer seats, say 40k-ish that would be easier to fill on a weekly basis than to see so many empties with G5 and FCS games.

NASCAR is seeing this firsthand. During the popularity boom of the sport in the late 90s to early 00s most tracks added seats upon seats because there was a demand for it. Now you can't watch a race without seeing large chunks of aluminum. Having fewer empty seats not only looks more aesthetically pleasing but puts a premium on the ticket as well. More demand than supply means more $$$.

The second reason is that we don't have the infrastructure to handle that many people for a game. Anyone that was here for commencement this past spring knows how crazy that was- with only about 45k people. Without creating ALOT parking up the mountain and using shuttles there just aren't enough options for parking or traffic in and out.



You have a reasonable statement about the capacity of the Bill. I would hope that 45k would be enough for the school for the next few years or so. I also understand the concern of the lack of attendance for a G5 or FCS school. You might want to consider more visitors and residents in the future who will attend LU games will increase as the athletic programs build up. Looking at the parking situation, your concern is factual based on what we have now. That's why the master plan is not completed even though at times media has been saying otherwise. The first phase of the plan is near completion but there's so much to go. When it comes to parking, they'll be a few parking garages and parking areas all around campus plus the options for spectators to come on campus and to leave campus appropriately after events. This is not only for football but for other events. That's why the vehicular bridge is being built, new exits and other plans for folks to consider parking and walking rather than causing traffic. For now, it might seem like not a good idea, but when they start building other parking and shuttle options, then it wouldn't be much of a concern.


I'm sure that FBS schedules will bring more locals to the stadium, but I don't anticipate the city taking ownership in LU the way SW Va does with VT or Cville with UVa. That said I wouldn't expect 45k seats to be filled unless it's one of those teams for quite some time to come.

I'm aware of the "plans" for more garages on campus. I know of 3 that have been talked about with the most likely of those to come to fruition bringing the least impact. The number of garages/spaces is lesser of an issue than simply not having ingress and egress to those garages. We can build 14 garages (sarcasm inplied) down the Blvd but with only one lane each direction it doesn't help much. Knowing what I do of plans for campus, the new Vehicle bridge over 460 won't help much without an entrance to 460 which isn't planned. This was the issue that delayed the first garage built for so long.
By cruzan_flame13
#534065
LUAlum1215 wrote:I say "plans" because they are always changing, not to be sarcastic to you.


I understand completely. I thought that they were building a road that would be behind the bookstore and future school of business that will lead to the vehicular bridge? Looking at the plan, the garages are in different locations which mean people could enter the campus in different ways and not have to enter only one or two ways. With that being said, I would understand the big issue if most people wouk come at the same time(the likelihood of that is very slim). The stadium is in a good location so that a lot of vehicles can quickly come in from the highway and filled the car garages. Since those who will come earlier will be tailgators(also folks who want to tour campus/do other mini activities), the others who were touring downtown or driving in later for the game wouldn't have such an issue since the early birds will be already there and walking around. That can still cause some traffic but not as much as if they were driving around. That is a reason why I like that the school will be more of a campus to walk around/take school transit rather than the opposite.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#534066
LUAlum1215 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

Just wait until Alabama or Auburn comes to Williams Stadium.


I hope they don't build the Bill to this level, for two reasons. Just because that many people would come, and I believe they would for a VT or most P5 team, doesn't mean they should. Is it worth having 20-30k empty seats when we host ODU just because we would fill them with Hokie fans? I submit it creates a much better environment to have fewer seats, say 40k-ish that would be easier to fill on a weekly basis than to see so many empties with G5 and FCS games.

NASCAR is seeing this firsthand. During the popularity boom of the sport in the late 90s to early 00s most tracks added seats upon seats because there was a demand for it. Now you can't watch a race without seeing large chunks of aluminum. Having fewer empty seats not only looks more aesthetically pleasing but puts a premium on the ticket as well. More demand than supply means more $$$.

The second reason is that we don't have the infrastructure to handle that many people for a game. Anyone that was here for commencement this past spring knows how crazy that was- with only about 45k people. Without creating ALOT parking up the mountain and using shuttles there just aren't enough options for parking or traffic in and out.


There actually is a legitimate sample to use for attendance. What was the attendance figure when LU and VT played last season. That would be a good gauge as to the high end of expected attendance
User avatar
By adam42381
#534067
Purple Haize wrote:There actually is a legitimate sample to use for attendance. What was the attendance figure when LU and VT played last season. That would be a good gauge as to the high end of expected attendance

62,234. Capacity is just over 66,000.