This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.
By BJWilliams
#531086 Jon and the boys are putting their credibility on the line as FH said. I think they would be very careful to source and double source anything before writing about it. They aren't in the business to put out "fake news".
By adam42381
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Yeah JC Manson and staff are in the habit of spreading rumors just to bump readership. :roll: ASOR's credibility is on the line with every article they write about their one subject - Liberty Athletics. If they post it you can bet it's not inauthentic.
Edit to add: They have direct quotes from IM. How much more authentic do you want?

Again, I'm not discrediting their authencity. I would just like to other resources. Is that an issue? Is that stating that they are spreading rumors? Even in these forums, people state that they heard this from someone or the other. They get quotes from AD McCaw yes, but what if another article gain more depth of infirmation on the subject? Is it wrong to ask? For heavens sake smh.

Keep in mind that almost nobody cares enough to write about Liberty athletics. You're not going to find too many resources other than ASOR or occasionally the local fish wrap.
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Yeah JC Manson and staff are in the habit of spreading rumors just to bump readership. :roll: ASOR's credibility is on the line with every article they write about their one subject - Liberty Athletics. If they post it you can bet it's not inauthentic.
Edit to add: They have direct quotes from IM. How much more authentic do you want?

Maybe he's like Beej. It's only accurate if it's on Twitter. Linear thinking will be your downfall

I don't even use twitter :?
By jcmanson
#531102 I don't mind the questioning.

Ian's quote on the matter: "I don't believe it (the new locker rooms) will be ready for the start of the season so we've made some alternate arrangements for the visiting teams."
By jbock13
#531104 27 reasons why Buckshot should be our starting QB. #14 will shock you!!!!
By TH Spangler
jcmanson wrote:I don't mind the questioning.

Ian's quote on the matter: "I don't believe it (the new locker rooms) will be ready for the start of the season so we've made some alternate arrangements for the visiting teams."

I beleive that means they have something major planned for that endzone.
By cruzan_flame13
#531141 Any thoughts on the tentative plan for a future North Campus expansion? Since Liberty is growing, the master plan suggest a possible expansion of future projects which is occupied by the Candlers shopping center at the moment.
By Cider Jim
jbock13 wrote:27 reasons why Buckshot should be our starting QB. #14 will shock you!!!!

:dontgetit Where is this list??? :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Cider Jim wrote:
jbock13 wrote:27 reasons why Buckshot should be our starting QB. #14 will shock you!!!!

He's referencing those freaking click bait posts on Facebook. You should be familiar. Study
By BJWilliams
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:

He's referencing those freaking click bait posts on Facebook. You should be familiar. Study

Somebody started a whole family of pages JUST for the express purpose of saving people from that click bait stuff
By ballcoach15
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Any thoughts on the tentative plan for a future North Campus expansion? Since Liberty is growing, the master plan suggest a possible expansion of future projects which is occupied by the Candlers shopping center at the moment.

I was told by a good source that we are "done building" for now.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Any thoughts on the tentative plan for a future North Campus expansion? Since Liberty is growing, the master plan suggest a possible expansion of future projects which is occupied by the Candlers shopping center at the moment.

Except for tearing down Towns, putting up the new School of Business, rerouting University Blvd to parallel 460, and making the current Uni Blvd from the roundabout to Demoss a pedestrian area, yeah, they're done building. Oh forgot about Commons IV, then the rest of the residential expansion. And the unannounced building replacing The Rot in all of their drawings. Hopefully the rest of the residential buildings after IV are only 3 or 4 floors for quick construction.
By soccer7
#531243 The building that would replace the ROT is suppose to be the School of Nursing. That is a GREAT program and they deserve a stand alone building.
Last edited by soccer7 on May 18th, 2017, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Class of 20Something
soccer7 wrote:The building that would replace the ROT is suppose to the School of Nursing. That is a GREAT program and they deserve a stand alone building of their own.

How long until LU has their own hospital? The SoN as I understand it is one of the top programs in the country.
By ALUmnus
Class of 20Something wrote:
soccer7 wrote:The building that would replace the ROT is suppose to the School of Nursing. That is a GREAT program and they deserve a stand alone building of their own.

How long until LU has their own hospital? The SoN as I understand it is one of the top programs in the country.

People who work for Centra are always talking about rumors that LU is going to buy it.
By Purple Haize
ALUmnus wrote:

People who work for Centra are always talking about rumors that LU is going to buy it.

See: City of Faith
By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote:

LU is always building, so I'd be shocked if they halted the process. Maybe it would be less of a priority and academia would be mainly focused on instead.
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:I'll speak for those who can't speak for themselves. I'd like to see more resources put towards People instead of Buildings

Maybe having world class facilities can attract those people into a school without tenure?
By Purple Haize
Purple Haize wrote:I'll speak for those who can't speak for themselves. I'd like to see more resources put towards People instead of Buildings

Maybe having world class facilities can attract those people into a school without tenure?

World class facilities don't put food on the table or pay the mortgage It's the one area LU has always lagged behind. Hopefully now that the Physical Plant is up to speed they will focus on Personnel (not named Falwell or Coaching FB or BB)
By cruzan_flame13
#531302 @PH

I would hope that the faculty, staff and students would receive more focus. Nonetheless the world class facilities are still important to help produce what you'd like to happen(or these folks will look somewhere else). Having those amazing resources will attract those people while gaining more revenue for those who will need it personally as well. Hopefully LU will respectfully serve those who serve the school's purpose in a rightful manner. From what ive seen from a JLF JR interview, he did state that he'll focus more on academia and limit student acceptance for school for awhile. I reckon they will continue building more residence into the 2020's, so that more students can get accepted and live on campus plus to expand more buildings for academia. In order to invest in people, you'll need the resources in which they can be influenced (as you already know). That should never be halted in an educational institution especially like LU.
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:I wonder if you've ever pulled a hammy getting on your soap box

I love your banter as much as the next guy, but he actually made some decent points. Liberty REALLY needed to invest in academics at LU. I'll just run down a few since 2010 that have been completed or should be complete by 2020.

College of Osteopathic Medicine
School of Music
School of Science
Jerry Falwell Library
School of Divinity
School of Business
School of Nursing
Additionally the Student Center becomes JFL 2.0 For study spaces during exam weeks.
I would also be surprised if the School of Law didn't relocate to the mountain near LUCOM within a few years.

If we want the type of Professors that will come in and help LU be known for their research, medicine, seminary, and law, theses facilities are absolutely necessary. Tenure is a powerful protection at other schools that Liberty doesn't offer.
By Purple Haize
Purple Haize wrote:I wonder if you've ever pulled a hammy getting on your soap box

I love your banter as much as the next guy, but he actually made some decent points. Liberty REALLY needed to invest in academics at LU. I'll just run down a few since 2010 that have been completed or should be complete by 2020.

School of Music
School of Science
Jerry Falwell Library
School of Divinity
School of Business
School of Nursing
Additionally the Student Center becomes JFL 2.0 For study spaces during exam weeks.
I would also be surprised if the School of Law didn't relocate to the mountain near LUCOM within a few years.

If we want the type of Professors that will come in and help LU be known for their research, medicine, seminary, and law, theses facilities are absolutely necessary. Tenure is a powerful protection at other schools that Liberty doesn't offer.

Did you even read my post? I a knowledges that. From a building standpoint several were near collapse. I am very glad that the Physical Plant is up to speed, that is what I said. One should logically take that to mean a) it needed to be done b) it's a good thing that it was done.
As for adding academic programs that's also a plus but can see how my post may not have conveyed that. You can't produce a healthy ($$) alumni base with just Pastors and Missionaries.
My more direct point was that taking care of their employees has never been a high priority at Liberty. Several in the Upper Levels of Administration have even openly spoken derisively about what it is faculty actually does all day. Thus my other statement being it's an area they have lagged behind for a long time. Do you really want Professooaith Terminal Degrees making less than a 3rd year Middle School teacher? It's gotten better over the years but still has a long way to go. And I hope they address it. For years when it's come down between the People or a new shiny building the People finish 2nd.
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:

School of Music
School of Science
Jerry Falwell Library
School of Divinity
School of Business
School of Nursing

Did you even read my post? I a knowledges that. From a building standpoint several were near collapse. I am very glad that the Physical Plant is up to speed, that is what I said. One should logically take that to mean a) it needed to be done b) it's a good thing that it was done.
As for adding academic programs that's also a plus but can see how my post may not have conveyed that. You can't produce a healthy ($$) alumni base with just Pastors and Missionaries.
My more direct point was that taking care of their employees has never been a high priority at Liberty. Several in the Upper Levels of Administration have even openly spoken derisively about what it is faculty actually does all day. Thus my other statement being it's an area they have lagged behind for a long time. Do you really want Professooaith Terminal Degrees making less than a 3rd year Middle School teacher? It's gotten better over the years but still has a long way to go. And I hope they address it. For years when it's come down between the People or a new shiny building the People finish 2nd.

The new shiny building was built for the people. That what I pointed out in my response. I never disagreed with you but I was pointing out how these improvement benefit not only the students but employees. As this is developing, everything else will follow suit. If it was so terrible, wouldn't their be a growth in resignations or quits which would make the school look severely bad? Or do the school have so much power that employees are in fear of their future and credibility that the lay low? There's always ways of improvement; I guess I needed to say that so I wouldn't have had the response that you had above smh.
By adam42381

Is this true? I've never heard it before (outside the LU bubble anyway) and couldn't find anywhere that the rankings seem to indicate this. I'm genuinely curious and would love to see some links.
By Purple Haize
thepostman wrote:I've always heard the program was well respected but never really looked much into it myself.

Yes it is very well respected. It was set up very well and continues to do well
By jbock13
#531437 Snowflake
By badger74

Agree and have made the same comment here. Key is to balance the two and which had to come first. For LU I think it was buildings but is does seem a bit too much went to sports and not enough to the academic side. But I have heard JFJr indicate the priority for the next decade is academic improvement. I'd hope a plan might be launched and discussed in the local media which just did a great job on the building side of LU to date.That might also cool some of the critics and cynics around town and the nation.
By oldflame
#531459 The massive construction in a relatively short time was done to "strike while the iron was hot" and take advantage of a number of economic factors which included abundant cash flow, cheap financing and a buyer's market for major construction projects. Now that it is pretty much wrapped up, I expect to see the priorities change somewhat.
By oldflame
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:I've always heard the program was well respected but never really looked much into it myself.

Yes it is very well respected. It was set up very well and continues to do well

I got to meet virtually every nursing student who came through the LU program as well as some of the professors over a period of over 10 years doing orientations for them on their mental health rotation as part of my job. We did the same for LC and Centra Health. A lot of great kids in all 3, but the Liberty nurses were OUTSTANDING (and we got a ton of free work out of them) 8)
By Purple Haize
badger74 wrote:

Agree and have made the same comment here. Key is to balance the two and which had to come first. For LU I think it was buildings but is does seem a bit too much went to sports and not enough to the academic side. But I have heard JFJr indicate the priority for the next decade is academic improvement. I'd hope a plan might be launched and discussed in the local media which just did a great job on the building side of LU to date.That might also cool some of the critics and cynics around town and the nation.

Like I stated earlier there were definitely some mission critical buildings that needed work. The Powers that Be have talked about building academics though. I do love the Program additions and it's a step in the right direction. I know the Med School started out strong. But people make up the Programs. And People teach the new students I just hope the next step is to treat those People similar or better to their peers
By flamehunter
#531587 http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_lynchburg/news/sale-of-caer-building-to-liberty-university-finalized/article_7f8120fa-3fcf-11e7-a836-d35af0ca020d.html
The purchase of the CAER has been finalized and will be the home of the school of engineering. Sounds like big plans to grow the school are in store as well.
By Class of 20Something
#531658 The seats in the south endzone are coming down as we speak. So much for that rumor.
By cruzan_flame13
#531681 So I just saw a video made by an LU student about Liberty football. I'm guessing it was about football since the topic was about the bill and the indoor football facility. The LU student had this discussion with a man name Matthew Young. In the interview Mr. Young discuss on what's going to happen in the near future and later on for the football program. One thing got my attention, which was the statement of the Williams station being destroyed and rebuild to a better facility for the football offices and locker room(s) for football. Does anyone here know Matthew Young and what his relation with LU's athletics? Is it true what he is saying about the Williams facility or is it just a tentative idea?
By Old Red
#531685 Any links to the video you saw????

BTW, My wife and I are heading down to Ole Miss for the game in 2021 (Some of my best friends are Alumni) Hoping to see a good turnout in "The Grove ". Great school for tailgating, and should be a welcoming crowd. Anyone else planning on making the trip?????
By cruzan_flame13
Old Red wrote:Any links to the video you saw????

BTW, My wife and I are heading down to Ole Miss for the game in 2021 (Some of my best friends are Alumni) Hoping to see a good turnout in "The Grove ". Great school for tailgating, and should be a welcoming crowd. Anyone else planning on making the trip?????

Here's the link to the same video I saw:

https://youtu.be/8kr7t0uKCoc