This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Are any of you guys in sales? Hyperbole. Purposeful exaggeration. Misdirection. All parts of sales techniques. Not sure you would call them lies.
The first time I've heard someone not call used car salesmen liars. :lol:
Ha. It's in just about any sales job. Some take more liberties (pardon the pun) then others.
Independent Used Car Guys have nothing on copier or meat sales guys
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Are any of you guys in sales? Hyperbole. Purposeful exaggeration. Misdirection. All parts of sales techniques. Not sure you would call them lies.
The first time I've heard someone not call used car salesmen liars. :lol:
Ha. It's in just about any sales job. Some take more liberties (pardon the pun) then others.
Independent Used Car Guys have nothing on copier or meat sales guys
So then it was ok when Obama lied and/or exaggerated?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Obama wasn't using sales language.
Saying you can keep your doctor and your plan was patently false. It was a known non truth when he said it
Saying there are 'shovel ready jobs' then allocating $800'billion to to get them built, only to say 'they weren't as shovel ready as we thought' when you knew before hand they weren't shovel ready is different
Then doubling down and saying Joe Biden would be in charge of accounting for every penny of that money.....

Totally different approaches, totally different use of vernacular. I expect more precision of language from my lawyer than my real estate agent
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Ties were required to class up until the of the fall semester in 2000. I don't recall needing a tie for the Rot. However, there was a no shorts in the Rot rule for all 4 years I was there, but we're fine in the C store and that take out place they had next to the Rot.

Sorry for going off the trail a bit
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I remember getting written up for wearing tennis shoes to class my freshman year...
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Obama wasn't using sales language.
Saying you can keep your doctor and your plan was patently false. It was a known non truth when he said it
Saying there are 'shovel ready jobs' then allocating $800'billion to to get them built, only to say 'they weren't as shovel ready as we thought' when you knew before hand they weren't shovel ready is different
Then doubling down and saying Joe Biden would be in charge of accounting for every penny of that money.....

Totally different approaches, totally different use of vernacular. I expect more precision of language from my lawyer than my real estate agent
And yet you expect your real estate agent to know how to run a country? Both have said things that weren't true, intentionally and unintentionally.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Obama wasn't using sales language.

And yet you expect your real estate agent to know how to run a country? Both have said things that weren't true, intentionally and unintentionally.
You lost me. I expect precision of language from my lawyer. Not someone trying to sell me something
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Surprised no one mentioned that LU beat ND when it came to Graduation speakers. LU got the POTUS. ND got the VEEP
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
What are the chances that he gives an actual commencement speech? I'm sure he will talk about his electoral college win, voter fraud, #FAKENEWS and maybe God. I'm not sure he is capable of giving a coherent traditional commencement speech.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I promise he will be better than some we have had in past 10 years. Most commencement speeches are forgotten in probably 3 days (or less)., as to what speaker said. I have only missed one commencement in past 10 years at LU. I cannot recall anything any speaker said. I only remember who spoke in 5 of the 10: Bush, Beck, Romney, Norris, Jennings.

often times, it's who the speaker is, rather than what he says. I am confident everyone walking tomorrow, will never forget who spoke at their ceremony.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I promise he will be better than some we have had in past 10 years. Most commencement speeches are forgotten in probably 3 days (or less)., as to what speaker said. I have only missed one commencement in past 10 years at LU. I cannot recall anything any speaker said. I only remember who spoke in 5 of the 10: Bush, Beck, Romney, Norris, Jennings.

often times, it's who the speaker is, rather than what he says. I am confident everyone walking tomorrow, will never forget who spoke at their ceremony.
Where is ballcoach and what rational person has stolen his login data? Trump's speech may or may not be what we normally expect to hear at commencement, but there is no doubt that last statement is spot on.
adam42381 wrote:What are the chances that he gives an actual commencement speech? I'm sure he will talk about his electoral college win, voter fraud, #FAKENEWS and maybe God. I'm not sure he is capable of giving a coherent traditional commencement speech.
The last sentence is what makes it awesome to watch
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:What are the chances that he gives an actual commencement speech? I'm sure he will talk about his electoral college win, voter fraud, #FAKENEWS and maybe God. I'm not sure he is capable of giving a coherent traditional commencement speech.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to watch it.
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I would love to watch it.
I hope someone local decides to carry it. I really don't want to have to facebook live it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Where is ballcoach?
Isn't he in Farmville for the ladies' Big South Tournament? He's got SOFTBALL to watch! :shock:
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Pretty sure it's going to be live streamed across most stations, probably local on all 3 and maybe more intermittently nationally. Mitt Romney was carried on CNN, Fox, etc back in 2012 in addition to the locals.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
I have been in and out, but, from what I've seen, this is the most coherent I've heard him in a long time. He's much better when he stays on script. The football stuff was legitimately funny. His joke writers did well there.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
It was a fine speech. Turned out very well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:I have been in and out, but, from what I've seen, this is the most coherent I've heard him in a long time. He's much better when he stays on script. The football stuff was legitimately funny. His joke writers did well there.
He did a great job blending the scripted stuff with the off the cuff stuff. He was in his wheelhouse
The opening joke about the students graduating and him becoming POTUS was sold
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]