This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
ballah09 wrote:I hate Jesus jukes. Not everyone wants to spread the word. thats why we have those classes specifically for those who want to. How many business majors are looking to spread the gospel?
This is shameful thinking. Is the Great Commission only for Theology majors? We are ALL called to know God, and to make Him known to others. That's not a Jesus Juke; that's Scripture.
Apparently this is what LU is teaching now. So....
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Creation studies was a joke of a course all freshmen took when I was a freshmen 14 years ago (holy crap). It took absolutely zero effort and I got an A. I get what you guys are saying but let's stop pretending the creation studies course did a good job preparing students to defend their faith. It could really be rolled into Old Testament Survey which I believe all student still have to take.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Creation studies was a joke of a course all freshmen took when I was a freshmen 14 years ago (holy crap). It took absolutely zero effort and I got an A. I get what you guys are saying but let's stop pretending the creation studies course did a good job preparing students to defend their faith. It could really be rolled into Old Testament Survey which I believe all student still have to take.
That's a Faculty issue. There are some courses you are not allowed to fail
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Creation studies was a joke of a course all freshmen took when I was a freshmen 14 years ago (holy crap). It took absolutely zero effort and I got an A. I get what you guys are saying but let's stop pretending the creation studies course did a good job preparing students to defend their faith. It could really be rolled into Old Testament Survey which I believe all student still have to take.
I agree...the same 30 years ago. CRST has little to nothing to do with the mission of training "Champions for Christ." I am amazed at the hubris of dogmatic fundamentalists... if you've been around them, you know what I mean. That is who taught me in those classes at Liberty. They should let Gary Habermas weigh in on the real value of such courses. If cutting or moving CRST is designed to help students defend their faith and spread the Gospel, we've been on the wrong course for too long.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
I agree...the same 30 years ago. CRST has little to nothing to do with the mission of training "Champions for Christ." I am amazed at the hubris of dogmatic fundamentalists... if you've been around them, you know what I mean. That is who taught me in those classes at Liberty. They should let Gary Habermas weigh in on the real value of such courses. If cutting or moving CRST is designed to help students defend their faith and spread the Gospel, we've been on the wrong course for too long.
Again. Sounds like a Faculty Issue. That should be a Foundational class and treated as such. But I'm positive it's treated as a check the box course. Which is a shame
And I know ALL about the hubris of those dogmatic fundamentalists. I'm sure they are still upset LU isn't KJV Only!
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
A lot of you guys are right and My previous statement was dumb and I'll admit to that. this is why I didn't want to have this debate because I'm not the smartest guy when you're talking about theology and I'll leave it at that.

Alumnus. Creation is getting dropped from science and it's not going to be required for students to take starting next year. It's going to be considered theology. Students are still required to take OT, NT, EVAN, and GNED.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:CRST has little to nothing to do with the mission of training "Champions for Christ." I am amazed at the hubris of dogmatic fundamentalists... if you've been around them, you know what I mean. That is who taught me in those classes at Liberty. They should let Gary Habermas weigh in on the real value of such courses. If cutting or moving CRST is designed to help students defend their faith and spread the Gospel, we've been on the wrong course for too long.
There are two things I'd disagree with here. First is that this has nothing to do with defending the faith. Evolutionary dogma is one of the biggest challenges to our faith, particularly in college. Dropping classes on this would be akin to dropping philosophy. Second is getting Habermas' opinion. I get that he is LU's most renowned faculty member, and that being in apologetics, but he's a one-trick pony (minimum facts theory) with very little expertise in scientific apologetics. That's not a criticism of Habermas, but just note he would add very little to the discussion.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
As much as I have appreciate the dialogue above, I remember when this thread was about the major expansion taking place around the campus. Every time I see a new post I am hoping for new pictures or development across the campus. Instead, we are left talking about CRST and whether or not Christians should spread the Good News of Jesus. Yikes. The fact that is even a conversation or debate is shameful. I digress... Paging PA and his sick awesome picture skills to give this thread a shot in the arm. I'm begging you.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:As much as I have appreciate the dialogue above, I remember when this thread was about the major expansion taking place around the campus. Every time I see a new post I am hoping for new pictures or development across the campus. Instead, we are left talking about CRST and whether or not Christians should spread the Good News of Jesus. Yikes. The fact that is even a conversation or debate is shameful. I digress... Paging PA and his sick awesome picture skills to give this thread a shot in the arm. I'm begging you.
Look who is turning into SLY JR

Sometimes Expansion comes at a cost.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:As much as I have appreciate the dialogue above, I remember when this thread was about the major expansion taking place around the campus. Every time I see a new post I am hoping for new pictures or development across the campus. Instead, we are left talking about CRST and whether or not Christians should spread the Good News of Jesus. Yikes. The fact that is even a conversation or debate is shameful. I digress... Paging PA and his sick awesome picture skills to give this thread a shot in the arm. I'm begging you.
True...why I check in as well. I do get sick of discussions about dogma taking over this thread, but eventually the old folks have to get involved and remind others that there might be some other points of view. Is there nothing else happening on campus? What is being built on the circle beside dorm 25? Odd structure in its early phases.
rogers3 wrote:
True...why I check in as well. I do get sick of discussions about dogma taking over this thread, but eventually the old folks have to get involved and remind others that there might be some other points of view. Is there nothing else happening on campus? What is being built on the circle beside dorm 25? Odd structure in its early phases.
I was wondering as well. Dorm 25 was my dorm during the first year. Looking at the master plan , it looks like they'll be building new dorms down there on the South side during the 2020's. I believe this is still in plan because in an interview with the local news Jerry Jr. said that they [LU] is reaching the end of the construction plans so far and focusing on the academic side. That sounds nice since they will destroy the Towns hall to build the school of business, however I'm not sure if that was a true statement.
So things in the works according to the master plan. No timeline given.

https://www.vmdo.com/img/projects/addit ... an_5_A.JPG

3 parking garages. One at North, one at docs, one further south on East.

Commons IV. Will have new dining facility.

New building in the rots location. Usage unannounced.

From form 25 south it looks like 6 more dorm buildings and the cathedral they've mentioned.

Roundabout direct from 460.

Pedestrian bridge over 460 that terminates behind the bookstore.

If driving north on university Blvd, the road will split in the future for two points of access to the lot above the new School of Business.

I expect the new unannounced building at 25 to be a facilities maintenance building. Supplies, repair and emergency equipment within immediate access to the new dorms.
Class of 20Something wrote:So things in the works according to the master plan. No timeline given.

https://www.vmdo.com/img/projects/addit ... an_5_A.JPG

3 parking garages. One at North, one at docs, one further south on East.

Commons IV. Will have new dining facility.

New building in the rots location. Usage unannounced.

From form 25 south it looks like 6 more dorm buildings and the cathedral they've mentioned.

Roundabout direct from 460.

Pedestrian bridge over 460 that terminates behind the bookstore.

If driving north on university Blvd, the road will split in the future for two points of access to the lot above the new School of Business.

I expect the new unannounced building at 25 to be a facilities maintenance building. Supplies, repair and emergency equipment within immediate access to the new dorms.

That building that you're referring to (where the Rot is located) is suppose to be the school of nursing. I'm hoping the Grad school campus expands as well. I also heard of "off campus" apartments near the grad school campus and also more dorms, a shopping center and other things near the indoor track area. I wonder what that area will be called? Northeast Campus? How can I forget the expansion of snowflex!!
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
School of law and government is having a building. It'll be interesting where they decide to put it. If you look at the master plan the business and engineering school was supposed to be located on south campus but the business school is now in the academic part of campus and the engineering school is in Bedford.

They could put the law and government building where they originally have the school of nursing located. Move nursing and the rumored school of communication down to south campus.
alabama24 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:3 parking garages. One at North, one at docs, one further south on East.
Where did you see this?
The one in North will be around where the back parking spots are in between Lahaye and student center or behind Lahaye. The one by docs garage should be connected to the arena(docs will be a in the arena) and the other garage will replace some dorms on the other side of east campus near the tunnel.
thepostman wrote:This is probably a better view of it all.

https://www.vmdo.com/img/projects/addit ... _final.jpg
I am having football withdrawals already. How about talking about this one.

https://www.vmdo.com/img/projects/addit ... ce_1_A.jpg

I really like the brick pillars surrounding the stadium. It looks like their concept of the new tower isn't quite the same stylistically as the existing one and I'm not sure I like it. All the uplighting could be pretty good looking on a foggy night. The ramp and walkway in the foreground makes me think a major entrance is planned on that side of the stadium.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
From the looks of that one you posted 20Something, they would curve the seats toward the FOC, then add a similar set connecting to the "student side" with the additional tower and second deck
BJWilliams wrote:From the looks of that one you posted 20Something, they would curve the seats toward the FOC, then add a similar set connecting to the "student side" with the additional tower and second deck
I noticed that too. I wonder if IM will want to relocate the students or confine the student section at all. As much as I like them behind the opposing bench, that's expensive seating for the common man. IM will probably see that as lost revenue having the students taking up the prime real estate.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My guess is make that second deck premium seating much like on the "Baptist side" and the keep the "lower deck" as student and GA seating
By willflop
Class of 20Something wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:My guess is make that second deck premium seating much like on the "Baptist side" and the keep the "lower deck" as student and GA seating
Even on the baptist side, inbetween the 35's is all reserved.
And, unfortunately, usually full of holes.
Class of 20Something wrote:
thepostman wrote:This is probably a better view of it all.

https://www.vmdo.com/img/projects/addit ... _final.jpg
I am having football withdrawals already. How about talking about this one.

https://www.vmdo.com/img/projects/addit ... ce_1_A.jpg

I really like the brick pillars surrounding the stadium. It looks like their concept of the new tower isn't quite the same stylistically as the existing one and I'm not sure I like it. All the uplighting could be pretty good looking on a foggy night. The ramp and walkway in the foreground makes me think a major entrance is planned on that side of the stadium.
I thought the brick pillars was to give the idea of some expanded seats in the near future?

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]