This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.
By olldflame
#509470 Liberty HS in Bedford that is. lol

Not kidding here, I seriously think he may have pursued this job just so he could say he was coaching basketball at Liberty again.
User avatar
By justagirl
#509540
olldflame wrote:Liberty HS in Bedford that is. I chortle audibly.

Not kidding here, I seriously think he may have pursued this job just so he could say he was coaching basketball at Liberty again.



I seriously doubt he applied because he wanted to be able to say he was coaching for Liberty again. I think he's probably just as happy to be done with LU as they were to rid themselves of him. When it all first went down a decade ago...probably not. But now? Yeah, probably so.

He and his daughter are great coaches and although she was quoted as being sad to not have her dad as her assistant, she was happy to have him helping build the basketball program as a whole.

I honestly thought one or both would apply for the Randolph College position.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#509553 LHS used to be a POWER house but they've had a heck of a time trying to find someone to coach the last couple of years. I'm sure he will do fine. I'm not sure who is who anymore with all of the VHSL rearranging but Glass and Heritage are the class of the Group. If they go back to the old Seminole Glass and Heritage are still on top. But the LHS gym can be a nice home court advantage Especially if you play the infamous 'Norfolk St' press Play Basketball

Randolph is a tough gig. Not a lot of resources, very little tradition and your cross town rival is having a lot of success
By olldflame
#509562
justagirl wrote:
olldflame wrote:Liberty HS in Bedford that is. I chortle audibly.

Not kidding here, I seriously think he may have pursued this job just so he could say he was coaching basketball at Liberty again.



I seriously doubt he applied because he wanted to be able to say he was coaching for Liberty again. I think he's probably just as happy to be done with LU as they were to rid themselves of him. When it all first went down a decade ago...probably not. But now? Yeah, probably so.

He and his daughter are great coaches and although she was quoted as being sad to not have her dad as her assistant, she was happy to have him helping build the basketball program as a whole.

I honestly thought one or both would apply for the Randolph College position.


As far as his wanting to be done with LU, that certainly wasn't the case a little over a year ago when he applied for the LU job knowing the person who would do the hiring was the same one who had let him go 8 years earlier. His sales pitch was the outrageous promise that if hired he would bring DeAndre Ayton, the top prospect in the entire 2017 recruiting class, to the mountain.
Last edited by olldflame on May 13th, 2016, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lynchburgwildcats
#509574
justagirl wrote:
olldflame wrote:Liberty HS in Bedford that is. I chortle audibly.

Not kidding here, I seriously think he may have pursued this job just so he could say he was coaching basketball at Liberty again.



I seriously doubt he applied because he wanted to be able to say he was coaching for Liberty again. I think he's probably just as happy to be done with LU as they were to rid themselves of him. When it all first went down a decade ago...probably not. But now? Yeah, probably so.

He and his daughter are great coaches and although she was quoted as being sad to not have her dad as her assistant, she was happy to have him helping build the basketball program as a whole.

I honestly thought one or both would apply for the Randolph College position.

Neither one of them would have stood a chance at the Randolph job.
By rogers3
#509641
JK37 wrote:The Randolph job isn't a good job.



But I'm sure it is a better job than you assume. After all, faculty at Randolph do better than their Liberty counterparts. Liberty people seem to always put down our smaller D3 neighbors, but there is likely more we could learn from them then the other way around. Randolph would likely not be interested in Dunton, but he certainly would not be dissatisfied with what a school like Randolph would offer.
By olldflame
#509649
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
JK37 wrote:The Randolph job isn't a good job.

And that is irrelevant to the chances either Dunton would have had at the job.


But combine the fact it is a bad D3 job and the fact neither of them had a chance at it, and it gives you an idea of where father and daughter are in their coaching careers. Emilee is just a couple of years out of Longwood and is doing just fine to be a HS teacher and coach. Her career is ahead of her. Her dad will be starting his first real coaching job in 8 years. He had success as a HS coach in Alaska (2 state championships if I recall) before coming to Liberty to work for JEFF MEYER. Maybe he can do it again in Bedford.

BTW, is the opening at Randolph for the men's or women's team?
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#509650 Olldflame, wasn't RD also a coach at VUL for a short while a few years ago?
By olldflame
#509652
Cider Jim wrote:Olldflame, wasn't RD also a coach at VUL for a short while a few years ago?


He coached a startup women's program there. I honestly don't know if it was even a paid position. Part time at best, hence the qualifier REAL job.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#509657
olldflame wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
JK37 wrote:The Randolph job isn't a good job.

And that is irrelevant to the chances either Dunton would have had at the job.


But combine the fact it is a bad D3 job and the fact neither of them had a chance at it, and it gives you an idea of where father and daughter are in their coaching careers. Emilee is just a couple of years out of Longwood and is doing just fine to be a HS teacher and coach. Her career is ahead of her. Her dad will be starting his first real coaching job in 8 years. He had success as a HS coach in Alaska (2 state championships if I recall) before coming to Liberty to work for JEFF MEYER. Maybe he can do it again in Bedford.

BTW, is the opening at Randolph for the men's or women's team?


They had openings in both. I echo the sentiments of roger3 but athletically Randolph is not a good job. As a Faculty member it may be but as a WBB not as much. In fact the MBB Coach made a lateral move to a Conference school if memory serves
By JK37
#509661 I'll clarify my statements by echoing PH: I'm sure it is a fine academic institution, but it is a dead-end coaching job. I'm not putting them down, rogers3, because they are a crosstown D3 "counterpart". It's simply not a good job. Lack of support, difficulty recruiting, etc. some D3 jobs are fine jobs, others are glorified club programs because the administrations don't really care of the program wins or not. Randolph is the latter. LC, on the other hand, is the former. Makes it a tough gig when you'll simply never be as good as your crosstown rival. The ODAC is a tough league; Randolph will most likely always be a bottom-feeder WBB program in the ODAC. I hope I'm wrong.
By lynchburgwildcats
#509662
olldflame wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
JK37 wrote:The Randolph job isn't a good job.

And that is irrelevant to the chances either Dunton would have had at the job.


But combine the fact it is a bad D3 job and the fact neither of them had a chance at it, and it gives you an idea of where father and daughter are in their coaching careers. Emilee is just a couple of years out of Longwood and is doing just fine to be a HS teacher and coach. Her career is ahead of her. Her dad will be starting his first real coaching job in 8 years. He had success as a HS coach in Alaska (2 state championships if I recall) before coming to Liberty to work for JEFF MEYER. Maybe he can do it again in Bedford.

BTW, is the opening at Randolph for the men's or women's team?

Emilee ended up graduating from Randolph, she was only at Longwood for a year.

Randolph women's job has already been filled. Randy D would have less than zero chance at the men's job.
By lynchburgwildcats
#509664
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Olldflame, wasn't RD also a coach at VUL for a short while a few years ago?


He coached a startup women's program there. I honestly don't know if it was even a paid position. Part time at best, hence the qualifier REAL job.

I think he ended up coaching the men too. Not at the same time as the women though as far as I know. That entire athletic department is a **** show though. Men's team ended up having to forfeit some wins under Dunton's tenure, 90% sure it was under him if he coached them.
By lynchburgwildcats
#509665
Purple Haize wrote:They had openings in both. I echo the sentiments of roger3 but athletically Randolph is not a good job. As a Faculty member it may be but as a WBB not as much. In fact the MBB Coach made a lateral move to a Conference school if memory serves

Going from Randolph to Roanoke is hardly a lateral move in athletics. It would be an impressive feat if you could find a single coach knowledgeable on the two schools that would say he/she would rather be a basketball coach at Randolph instead of Roanoke. Better recruiting, better resources, better tradition, and they are going to be moving in to what is arguably the best arena in D3 this summer. If not the best it's clearly going to be in the discussion. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Clay Nunley has Roanoke back to being a powerhouse like they were from the 80s into the mid 2000s.

The Randolph women's coach left to be the director of girls high school recruiting for some recruiting service.
By lynchburgwildcats
#509666
JK37 wrote:I'll clarify my statements by echoing PH: I'm sure it is a fine academic institution, but it is a dead-end coaching job. I'm not putting them down, rogers3, because they are a crosstown D3 "counterpart". It's simply not a good job. Lack of support, difficulty recruiting, etc. some D3 jobs are fine jobs, others are glorified club programs because the administrations don't really care of the program wins or not. Randolph is the latter. LC, on the other hand, is the former. Makes it a tough gig when you'll simply never be as good as your crosstown rival. The ODAC is a tough league; Randolph will most likely always be a bottom-feeder WBB program in the ODAC. I hope I'm wrong.

That's about the case for all their women's teams other than softball. Softball team has ben decent to good for what seems like a decade now.

The women's teams don't get any less resources than their men's counterpart as far as I know (other than probably head coach salaries), but they can't shake the decades of being awful. What they do have going in their favor is that ODAC women's basketball is pretty bad when compared to the D3 national scene. League is almost always a one-bid league (but there are much less at-large bids in D3 compared to D1) and rarely is there even a second team on the bubble. And the team that does get in rarely ever gets more than one win if they even get one win.

At least the men's teams got to start fresh, has worked well for some like basketball and soccer, not so much for lacrosse but D3 lacrosse is a completely different beast from basketball and soccer in terms of recruiting. Hell, has worked out great for men's soccer, soccer team has arguably been the best program in the conference for what seems like 5-6 years now. Basketball hasn't consistently been among the best but they are always at worst competitive nowadays, will be interesting to see if the to-be-named coach can keep it going.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#526105 RD and daughter getting some love in the local paper:

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/high_ ... b4d35.html
User avatar
By prototype
#526108 Bunch of haters...

Dunton is a good coach and could have got the RC job, if he wanted it.

Him and Royer are great coaches and it's proven everywhere they have gone.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#526110
prototype wrote:Bunch of haters...

Dunton is a good coach and could have got the RC job, if he wanted it.

Him and Royer are great coaches and it's proven everywhere they have gone.


What article did you read :dontgetit
The N and A does a good job looking for cool coaching angles.
It wasn't that long ago that LHS was a State level contender in Boys Hoops The talent is out there
User avatar
By flameshaw
#526116 There is a reason RD hasn't coached at the D1 level since he was not renewed at LU. Our former AD, who is now at GW, has had a couple of openings, RD was not considered. There are many other contacts that are/were in a place to help/hire him and haven't. He may be a good coach/man, but those who know him best, have not reached out to him for some reason. Play Basketball
By JK37
#526170 Proto, it seems you know them both. I don't. Can you speak to specifics of how each is a good coach, and how this has been proven - as you say - "everywhere they have gone"?
User avatar
By justagirl
#526226
prototype wrote:Bunch of haters...

Dunton is a good coach and could have got the RC job, if he wanted it.

Him and Royer are great coaches and it's proven everywhere they have gone.



Thank you!!!! Great man, great character, great coach. Anyone would be lucky to have him leading their program. Call me a kool-aid drinker all you want to, but I get really tired of seeing people on these message boards DOG good people when they only know half a story, or half a gossip session.

As someone who first hand experienced the gossip and bad mouthing and rumors and mess that CHRISTIANS start when someone is "let go" or "allowed to resign" from LU, I cannot STAND to see/read/hear all the judgement and shade people throw.

Emilee and Randy are building a quality program with wins. More importantly, they are building character and culture in their little corner of Bedford.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#526234
justagirl wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:What article are you guys reading? It seemed pretty positive to me



The article WAS positive. I was talking to everyone else on the post being ugly.


:dontgetit
No one said anything bad about the article. Take the win and the compliment
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#526238 We should do a FF reunion at one of his games. Does anyone know if the nacho cheese is hotter at high school games? :wink:
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#526239
Cider Jim wrote:We should do a FF reunion at one of his games. Does anyone know if the nacho cheese is hotter at high school games? :wink:


The chili cheese nachos at Appomattox are pipping hot and tasty. The ones at William Campbell are outstanding
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#526261
JK37 wrote:Of all the concession foods I've eaten at HS bball games over the years, the Walking Taco's of Ohio are #1.


Not that you'd have reason to, but if you ever go there, the nachos at William Campbell are LEGIT.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#526811 Another big win for RD:

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/high_ ... ca46b.html