This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Originally BW3 was called Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck at their first location on Beechmont Avenue in Cincy back before the Buffalo Wings craze took over America in the Late '80s & Early '90s.

That's probably more history than anyone here cares about. But I take a particular interest in culinary delights delivered expeditiously. 8)
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
If you want Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano's, etc.; Durham is a lot closer than D.C. and a lot more friendly to driving in general.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Scorcho for that matter, Richmond is even closer or just as close and the ride is pleasant after you get on I64 :D. But Sly is headed north to site see and see family so that is why we brought up DC restaurants. Sly, you should go to the 5 Guys in Charlottesville for lunch. Remember the Lynchburg one is not good but pretty much every other one will do you fine.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I really like the input from this thread. I like it so much so that I'm going to start some threads breaking down the different types of food. Let's see how that works.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I think Richmond and Durham are both right at 2 hours from Lynchburg, yes? I know Durham is, but I rarely go over to Richmond.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
You are correct Scorcho but you can only see me in Richmond :D.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
On a side note - has anyone eaten at the chain Smoky Bones? We have a couple popping up in this area and wanted to know if it was any good?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Its good but very commercial. Down here in Texas we have the real deals when it comes to barbecue joints. So it takes more than a nice decor and OK sauce to impress me. But its certainly worth spending a few bucks. Its one of the fastest growing chains of any kind in the nation right now. That wouldn't happen if they weren't deleivering a good product.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Texas and real bbq joints? You ever been to North Carolina? How bout Lexington to be more specific. Enough said.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have and its not bad. But if you need sauce to cover up your meat you haven't experienced the really good stuff.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Please, let's not start a bbq discussion. Things could get ugly very quickly.

Although, being from NC, I have to say I'm a big fan of pulled pork and the NC-style (vinegar based) sauces. I grew up on it, and it'll always be the best. (Though the pulled pork is certainly good enough to stand on it's own.) I can also go for Memphis-style meat and sauce, especially when it comes to ribs, though a good dry rub is just as good. I'm also starting to gain an appreciation for the SC mustard-based sauces, though they'll never be my favorite. I'm also a big fan of a good bbq'ed chicken.

I say all of that to say that beef brisket sucks. I'd die in Texas.
By RedDog
Registration Days Posts
IMO, The best brisket is in Texas and it is outstanding ... The best BBQ and Ribs are in the Real South (Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee) ... I've eaten ribs all over the country in texas (Dallas, FT. Worth, Waco), to Chicago (Carson's), Cincinnati (Montgomery Inn, Burbanks), Knoxville and Nashville (Calhouns), Starkville, Miss (Little Dueys), Tuscaloosa, AL (Dreamland), Hattiesburg, MS (Leatha's), to points beyond and the best I have eaten is at Leatha's in Mississippi ... The meat falls off the bone and the homemade sauce is unbelievable ... They have pork and beef barbeque and both are unbelievalbe ... They also make their own sauce for their cole slaw and it is very good as well ...
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If you think brisket sucks you haven't been to Texas. But we have much more than brisket down here. Beef sausage is awesome. Central Texas is the mecca for barbecue in Texas. I admit that babyback ribs are not the state's strong suit although you can never go wrong with a stop at one of the County Lines in the Lone Star State.

I know it is going to be heresy to you Carolinans, but the best pulled pork is in Memphis IMHO. And the best sauces are in Kansas City.

Of the ribs joints Reddog listed, I have been to a large number of them led by my hometown Montgomery Inn (I grew up going to the original location where you'd often see Bob Hope or other Hollywood celebs but I love the Boathouse down on the river). I'll have to try the Leathas when I'm buzzing through Hattiesburg heading from Houston to points northeast ... perhaps even on my upcoming roadie in March.

Perhaps we need to give BBQ its own thread.
By RedDog
Registration Days Posts
The Roundevue (Sp?) in Memphis is another of the good rib places out there ... These are the dry rub ... It is different from the wet sauces ... Corky's in Memphis also is an outstanding place.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Best Ribs Evah!: Sticky Fingers

My favorite "chain" ever. Though, it's hard to call them a chain. Just three college buddies opening new locations as they get the funds. You can even order from them online. My wife had a huge order of ribs, pulled pork, wings and sauces delivered for my birthday. Comes packed in dry ice, and boy does everything heat up well. Definitely worth a shot if your'e near one, or if you're in a place where you just can't get good ribs, sauces, etc.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I tell you where I went (not expected much) and really loved was Shmokies (sp?) in Wyndhurst, they had a ton of different BBQ and sauces to choose from...and not a bad setting either :wink: and not to mention as soon as you finish you walk across the street and have a nice cigar for dessert :shock:
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
nothin better than eastern NC BBQ. if anyone ever treks down here you must try some. the smaller the BBQ shack the better food and atmosphere. and of course ya have to have a sweet tea with a BBQ sandwich. i saw a dreamland reference from tuscaloosa....what a place and some great food!
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:I tell you where I went (not expected much) and really loved was Shmokies (sp?) in Wyndhurst, they had a ton of different BBQ and sauces to choose from...and not a bad setting either :wink: and not to mention as soon as you finish you walk across the street and have a nice cigar for dessert :shock:
I'll second the vote for Schmokies in Wyndhurst, though I would recommend catching them at a time when they're likely to be busy. I've been three times and the second time was during off-peak hours. The food had obviously been out for a little bit. Everything was dry. No complaints about the first or second trip, though.
bigsmooth wrote:
nothin better than eastern NC BBQ. if anyone ever treks down here you must try some. the smaller the BBQ shack the better food and atmosphere. and of course ya have to have a sweet tea with a BBQ sandwich. i saw a dreamland reference from tuscaloosa....what a place and some great food!
While I know there is no shortage of bbq shacks in the Triangle, if you've got some time to kill I highly recommend making the trek out to Pittsboro to try Allen and Son's. Amazing little place that's been there for at least 40 years, if not longer. It was on the way home from my high school. They also make a killer banana shake. If bbq isn't your thing, I'd also recommend S&T's Soda Shoppe on Main Street (business 15-501) in Pittsboro. They're the only truly old fashioned soda shop that I've found in the Triangle. Additionally, I've never seen them have less than a 100% on their sanitation grade and I have seen it as high as 105% with bonus points. That goes a long way with me. :)
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
been there done that el scorcho. it is most excellent. with my job, im all over NC, and i look for these small hole in the wall joints. the food is always good. what part of NC are you from el scorcho?
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth: Pittsboro/Chapel Hill. I grew up dead in between the two towns on 15-501, just on the inside of the Chatham County border.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Bump
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
you hungry or what? all the food threads?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Guilty as charged. :(

And I know that some of our new posters probably have some good insight.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Doesn't affect us at all, but our former Big S[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I get that 3 star recruits are becoming the norm f[…]

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]