If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
I am assuming it wasn't to visit Crabtree Valley Mall or to fly out of RDU on a Southwest Airlines getaway fare.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I wish he was gonna be there tomorrow so he could pick up Mrs. SCAR from the airport :lol: Well we can infer 1 thing from this visit to the triangle. They are interviewing Marshall. What does this mean for the Big South if he gets the position? I wonder if Randy Peele would get promoted to the top spot at Winthrop. Peele was the coach at UNCG when they won the Big South championship in 96. Too bad coach Meyer already took the IU assistants job. I hope Marshall gets the State gig but I don't know if he will. I wonder what the State fans have to say. Someone tell us what they are saying on the other boards. I would go over there but I have an exclusivity clause with Sly on this board :lol:
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Let's just say there is a groundswell of support now, for Marshall.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Well, apparently our Guest here wasn't the only one that heard the rumor that Marshall was in Raleigh...appears that it is just a rumor though (the following article is from the Rock Hill Herald):

http://www.buzzfans.com/sports/story/57 ... 4865c.html

N.C. State still hasn't contacted Marshall

By Gary McCann The Herald
(Published May 3‚ 2006)

On Tuesday, the Gregg Marshall rumor of the day involving the basketball coaching job at N.C. State was this.
An Eagle Club member had talked to one of Marshall's former players. The player mentioned that Marshall told him he'd talked with the N.C. State folks last Thursday.

Guess that pesky recruiting trip Marshall was on was all a clever cover-up.

But before that rumor could be confirmed, another popped up.

Marshall was actually on the N.C. State campus this past Saturday.

We can only assume the guy seen at a Rock Hill appliance store buying a new TV on Saturday was either Marshall's evil twin or a cleverly placed stunt double.

Such is the life of the college basketball coach who's been very successful and it's perceived the time has come for him to move to greener -- sewn with dollar bills -- pastures.

Because he's won six Big South Conference titles, been to the NCAA tournament six times and become the winningest coach in Winthrop history in record time, some see a new job for Marshall lurking behind every athletic director's checkbook.

If only it was that simple, Marshall's phone would be ringing off the hook, and not just with calls from N.C. State. If winning and building a championship program was all an AD considered, Marshall, if he wanted, could probably pick his destination.

The only truth about the N.C. State job -- at least for now -- is this -- he hasn't been contacted.

He may not be, and that may be the most mind-boggling thing about it, that a coach with his record, his success, isn't being called.

But Marshall coaches in the Big South, one of the leagues listed near the bottom of the so-called mid-majors, although what he's done to elevate his program and the profile of basketball in the league is remarkable. The Big South was the 19th-rated league in the RPI this year, and it's because of what Marshall's program has done to force others in the Big South to get better.

He doesn't have a Krzyzewski or Williams or Smith or Knight or Pitino as his coaching mentor. He learned from Hal Nunnally, his coach at Randolph-Macon, and from John Kresse, the former coach at College of Charleston, and from others along the way. He's taken what he's learned and built his own philosophy.

He wasn't a big-name player at a big-name program. He did it the hard way, by loving the game and working his way up the ladder and into a good job.

He doesn't have someone out there who can pick up the phone and drop his name to the folks at N.C. State.

And getting a coaching job at a school in a major conference isn't like getting a job down at the tire plant. You don't just stop by the personnel office and leave a resume. It's the ultimate in don't-call-us, we'll-call-you hiring.

Who the heck knows what's going on at N.C. State now that Rick Barnes, John Calipari, Steve Lavin, John Beilein, Mike Brey and who knows who else has said they're not interested? We could all save some time by listing the folks who haven't turned it down.

I'm told that Lee Fowler, N.C. State's director of athletics, is a good, smart man. He was hired in 2000 and this is the first time he's had to fill a high-profile job. If he thinks he can land that high-profile coach, he should go for it.

But here's something to remember. When the school hired Norm Sloan and Jim Valvano, they weren't "names."

Sloan was hired from Florida, long before Gator basketball was national championship-caliber, and coached at The Citadel before that. Valvano came from Iona. They became "name" coaches after they were hired and won NCAA titles, not before.

They became "name" coaches because someone picked up the phone.

Right now, anything like that happening with Gregg Marshall is what it is.

Just a rumor.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
what a weird situation. Instinctively, just going by his record of success- it certainly appears that Greg's a good coach. Odd that the phone is NOT ringing. Geographically, the guy is practically around the corner- you'd think the folks at NC St would be aware of him, or at least have him on the short list.

Its fun as an outsider to speculate, but I'm thinking there's not a lot of fun going on right now in the WU AD's office or among the MBB team members.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
former player sidney lowe is now being mentioned......zero college head coaching experience, so i don't know about that...i still think it points to gregg marshall.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Florida AG now suing the ACC. https://www.espn.com[…]

NMSU

Any info about the new incoming players to the p[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

OK, so the latest from ASOR says that Smith is com[…]

NFL’s trading rules, salary cap, and prof[…]