If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Guys,
Have we already discussed the impact of ODU bringing on football?

Would this trigger the CAA to form a football conference? Right now a few play in the A-10.

Facilities:
Today the City of Norfolk and ODU agreed on a "land swap" that gives ODU some space for their sports to practice in exchange for a location where the city will place a community recreation center.

How they will handle Title IX:

"No male athletic scholarship sports will be cut because of Title IX considerations. Instead, ODU will add women's rowing, softball and volleyball.

There have been rumors that George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, will follow ODU's lead and upgrade football from a club team to a varsity sport."

Today's Article: http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/st ... ran=238655
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
it make sense GM would add football now, they have a little more income then they're used to and their name can only grow from here
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
The CAA has already formed a football conference. As announced in May of last year, the A-10 conference will drop football after 2006 and the CAA will pick it up in 2007. All of the current A-10 schools have applied and been accepted into the CAA for football. Here's a link to the release on JMU's site.
http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stories/2 ... p?TeamID=2

I'm not exactly sure what this is going to mean when ODU or any other potential CAA programs take the field and begin play in an already-crowded conference.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yes we discussed this at length awhile back. Not only arre ODU & GMU working toward starting up football, Georgia State is also considering the move. If all were to make the move up it would make for a very crowded CAA. But as we discussed in the other thread, some of the affiliate members in the north may be bolting to a reformed league in the New England.

This could be just one piece in a very complicated puzzle that could benefit us down the road,
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
The CAA seems like a good fit...too bad we couldn't get the invite awhile back instead of Georgia State. Would be great for rivalry with the location of the schools in the league for us.
Last edited by PeterParker on April 23rd, 2006, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
3 or 4 good years under Rocco and we get some offers. PRINT IT
By Thelaxman
When I went to Grad School at Regent University in Virginia Beach in 1988 they had Television ads for ODU Football for 1989 on the TV Stations in the Hampton Roads area. It never happened and here we are in 2006. I have heard the talk about ODU Football now for some time.

What I can say is Liberty played ODU in Lacrosse in 1987 in that huge Stadium they have and we were all surprised they did not have a Football Team. They sure have a nice Stadium and we are talking about 1987. They have been talking this deal for well over 25 years and they have yet to get off the ground and play a Football game. Like I said they had some really good commerecials in 1988 about there future football team and it never happened. We shall see if ODU Football happens one day.

Thelaxman
NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/1786182149940400[…]

NMSU

Any info about the new incoming players to the[…]

Volleyball Coach

"hitting coach" , I've heard that ter[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

OK, so the latest from ASOR says that Smith is com[…]