If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I know we have talked about this on other threads but I got the scoop from coach Meyer himself. I caught up with him and he told me the story of how he got the IU job. I thought he may have had a connection with Sampson from the Big 12 but Sampson really didn't know Jeff at all. He called Quinn Snyder on Wed before the final 4 inquiring about his coach from Indiana. Quinn told him Meyer was a really good coach and could help him win recruits in the Indiana area. Kelvin Sampson told Quinn he needed a guy to help him in Indiana. Sampson called Jeff on Friday night and asked if he could drive down to Bloomington on Saturday to talk. Long story short they talked that morning, he liked what Jeff brought to the table in terms of his offensive philosophy and his 25 years of experience and he hired him that morning. By the afternoon he was working and he went to the final 4 with Sampson and then went back on Sunday to start working and has been working from 5 am to about midnight for the past 9 or 10 days. I am really happy for him and his family. The human element is what gets lost in all of this Meyer vs Dunton garbage. I have remained in contact with both guys and I believe they both are great coaches and I am genuinely happy when either achieves success. Whether you like coach Meyer or not, his resume will always say 16 years at Liberty and I for one hope he has continued success because that only adds to positive perceptions of our program at Liberty. It seems to me that the Winthrop guys embrace Meyer more than our people. It is time we all move forward IMO. I think for the most part the coaches and their families have done that.
By Big -e-
Registration Days Posts
Couldn't agree more Scar. Well put.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for posting Scar...And I know that I (as a WU fan) think very highly of Meyer. I'm convinced that Marshall bringing him in was the key to WU turning things around so fast when Marshall got here. His experience as a coach and in the league had to have been very valuable for the otherwise young coaching staff and a team that was not accustomed to succeeding.
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
I agree with Scar. Time to let bygones be bygones. Whatever we could just doesn't matter anymore. Hope coach does well.
By Guest
I don't agree with Scar, I personally want to hear more Meyer - Dunton debates... Why don't we let the LU debate team get in on this!!
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Ok, no. That needs to die.
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
Guest wrote:I don't agree with Scar, I personally want to hear more Meyer - Dunton debates... Why don't we let the LU debate team get in on this!!
Here Here I agree!!! This board never has any controversy!!

Kudos to Meyer. He is going to do VERY well out there. I just hope Kelvin does the same!!!
Sing a long:
"Indiana oh Indiana
Indiana, we love you
Fight for the Cream and Crimson
Fight for what is true
Indiana oh Indiana
Indiana WE LOVE YOU!!!"

"Fan the Flames Fan the Flames
Fan the Flames of Liberty
(I donlt know the rest of our fight song)
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:Over on the FB thread we have a thread going that started veering off course- so I'm bringing some of it over here:

Fight song lyrics (graphics courtesy of Super Jon's fertile mind)
http://libertysports.proboards29.com/in ... 1133304099 Image
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here's the AP story on Meyer joining Sampson's staff:
Sampson brings in assistants with Indiana ties

Associated Press

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Kelvin Sampson may have alleviated one criticism Thursday by hiring two longtime Indiana natives -- Ray McCallum and Jeff Meyer -- as assistant coaches.

When the Hoosiers hired Sampson last month, some alums were upset that the university did not bring in someone with prior connections to the state or program. Now, Sampson has two assistants with Indiana ties -- and experience at the college level.

"I want a staff that could relate to young people, understand our values that our program will have and that will not only serve as a source of motivation but also guide young men to become better players, better students and better people," Sampson said in a written statement. "These two guys will be tremendous representatives of our program and our university."

McCallum follows Sampson from Oklahoma to Indiana, a state in which he won back-to-back state titles at Muncie Central in 1978 and 1979. He graduated from Ball State in 1983 as the Mid-American Conference's career scoring leader and was the first Cardinals player to have his jersey retired.

In 1993, McCallum returned to his alma mater as head coach, posting a 126-76 record while becoming the first coach in Ball State history to record seven straight winning seasons.

To McCallum, it feels like a homecoming.

"When I was a kid, I was a basketball camper at Indiana, and now to be here working under a great head coach in coach Sampson gives me a lot of pride," he said.

McCallum left Ball State in 2000, then spent four seasons at Houston before joining Sampson's staff at Oklahoma.

McCallum also has Big Ten experience. From 1984-93, he worked as an assistant at Wisconsin, then spent one season as an assistant at Michigan before taking over at Ball State.

Meyer, too, has established connections in Indiana.

He grew up in Reynolds, graduated from Taylor University in Upland, spent two seasons as an assistant at Purdue under Lee Rose and was an assistant for three seasons as an assistant at Butler where he was instrumental in the Bulldogs 2002 run to the regional semifinals.

He spent the last two seasons at Missouri.

In his two seasons at Purdue, Meyer helped the Boilermakers claim a share of the 1979 Big Ten title and reach the 1980 Final Four. Then he followed Rose to South Florida.

Meyer also spent 16 seasons as the head coach at Liberty University where he went 250-206 and was twice named the conference coach of the year as Liberty jumped from the NAIA to NCAA Division I.

Meyer also served as associate head coach at Winthrop when the Eagles won three straight Big South titles and made three straight NCAA appearances.

But he, too, is glad to be coming home.

"We not only know, but truly understand the importance of Indiana basketball in the lives of Hoosiers," he said. "I look forward to being a part of creating more memories, while also adding to the nationally recognized tradition of IU basketball."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2407816
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
congrats to coach meyer. im sure he will do very well at IU!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here's the writeup in the fishwrap at Mizzou:
AREA SCENE

Published Saturday, April 15, 2006

Sampson hires former MU aide Meyer

Former Missouri basketball assistant Jeff Meyer was hired by new Indiana Coach Kelvin Sampson on Thursday.

Meyer coached at Missouri the past two seasons.

He grew up in Reynolds, Ind., graduated from Taylor University in Upland, Ind., spent two seasons as an assistant at Purdue under Lee Rose and was an assistant for three seasons as an assistant at Butler. Meyer also spent 16 seasons as the head coach at Liberty University, where he went 250-206.

"We not only know but truly understand the importance of Indiana basketball in the lives of Hoosiers," Meyer said. "I look forward to being a part of creating more memories, while also adding to the nationally recognized tradition of IU basketball."
http://www.columbiatribune.com/2006/Apr ... por006.asp
Prayers please

You've got a lot going on! Praying for you. Side[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

....without truly even understanding biology […]

Family Travel Obsession

Cruises are cost effective and take you to a new[…]