If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
interesting story on schools losing schollies due to academic deficiency: thanks to the guys on Coastal's board for digging it up (they only lost .42 of a schollie- Men's Soccer)

nice job by Temple, leading the pack again. :roll:

Few big names to lose scholarships based on APRESPN.com news services
Updated: March 1, 2006, 2:12 PM ET
Few big-name schools will lose scholarships as a result of the Academic Progress Rates report released Wednesday.

The NCAA said that 99 Division I sports teams at 65 colleges and universities -- or less than 2 percent of 6,112 Division I sports teams nationwide -- will lose scholarships for poor scholastic performance by their student-athletes.

Men's Basketball
Schools which will lose scholarships for poor scholastic performance under the terms of the Academic Progress Rates reform program:
School No.
Cal Poly 2
Centenary 2
East Carolina 2
Hampton 2
Jacksonville 2
Kent State 2
New Mexico St. 2
S. Carolina St. 2
Texas State 2
Mary.-Eastern Shore 2
DePaul 1
Florida A&M 1
Louisiana Tech 1
Prairie View 1
La.-Lafayette 1
La.-Monroe 1
Sacramento State 1

In Division I-A football, Temple (9), New Mexico State (6), Toledo (6) Hawaii (5), Middle Tennessee (5), Western Michigan (5) Buffalo (3) and Northern Illinois (2) were penalized.

"You've got to bring in kids that not only want to make it to the NFL, but also want to graduate and get their degree," first-year Middle Tennessee coach Rick Stockstill told ESPN. "If a kid just wants to graduate and not make it to the NFL, I'm not interested. If he wants the NFL and not the degree, I'm not interested. You have to do a good job in evaluating. We're getting out of the Prop 48 business."

In Division I basketball, Cal-Poly (2), Centenary (2), East Carolina (2), Hampton (2), Jacksonville (2), Kent State (2), Maryland Eastern Shore (2), New Mexico State (2), South Carolina State (2), Texas State (2), Sacramento State (1), DePaul (1), Florida A&M (1), Lousiana Lafayette (1), Louisiana-Monroe (1), Louisiana Tech (1) and Prarie View (1) were penalized.

First-year New Mexico State coach Reggie Theus told ESPN.com that it wasn't fair that a new coach gets penalized for past transgressions. The Aggies will lose two scholarships, a decision Theus said NMSU appealed to no avail. He will have to take off the scholarships from his maximum 13 for next season.

"There's got to be some sort of grace period to see if there is improvement [for new coaches] before you get hit with a penalty," Theus said Wednesday. "We've got a new AD, a new president, new programs that we've implemented and you would think we could get at least one of those penalties rescinded. But we didn't.

"We'll survive it," Theus said. "But for new coaches it puts you behind the eight ball."

One of the programs hit hardest was Florida A&M, which loses scholarships in baseball (1.07), football (8), men's basketball (1), men's swimming (0.99) and women's swimming (1.23).

The NCAA said that the loss of eight football scholarships will be separate and in addition to penalties previously leveled against Florida A&M. Charged with a lack of institutional control, Florida A&M was put on probation for four years with a loss of 30 scholarships, including 14 over the next four seasons.

Of the 99 sports teams that will lose scholarships, 90 are men's teams and 9 are women's teams. The majority are in three sports: football (23), baseball (21), and men's basketball (17).

As many as 350 Division I sports teams were in danger of penalties at this time last year. "We are encouraged by the response on many campuses to academic reform," said NCAA president Myles Brand. "The goal of academic reform is to improve academic behaviors and increase graduation, not unnecessarily penalize teams."

More serious consequences, which could include limits on postseason competition and restricted membership status, await teams that continue to academically under perform.

Football
Schools (Division I-A) which will lose scholarships for poor scholastic performance under the terms of the Academic Progress Rates reform program:
School No.
Temple 9
Toledo 6
Hawaii 5
Middle Tenn. St. 5
Western Michigan 5
Buffalo 3
New Mexico St. 2
Northern Illinois 2

"The APR has become part of the athletics language; schools are incorporating the APR into their strategic plans and programming, and they are using it to hold coaches and other personnel accountable for student-athlete academic achievement," Brand said. "Significant attention is being paid to meeting the new standards, and I expect the next few years of APR data to reflect that focus."

For a team to lose a scholarship under the "contemporaneous penalty" portion of academic reform, a student-athlete must have failed academically and left the institution; and the team's APR must be below 925 (out of 1000).

The APR is calculated by measuring the academic eligibility and retention of student-athletes by team each term. Based on current data, an APR of 925 calculates to an approximate Graduation Success Rate of 60 percent.

Teams can lose up to 10 percent of scholarships each year allowed by NCAA rules. When a penalty is applied, a college or university may not re-award the scholarship of an ineligible student-athlete who left school to another student-athlete for one year.

Eight institutions have not yet completed the process for determining penalties under APR: Arizona State University; Northern Arizona University; San Diego State University; San Jose State University; Texas A&M University, College Station; University of Arizona; University of Kansas; and Tulane University.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here is how we fared:

LU Report on NCAA Site

No penalties for us. The Big South school that got hammered was G-W which loses nearly six scholarships in football. Ouch.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
yeah, we actually looked pretty decent- at least middle of the pack or above in everything- unless I'm reading that wrong. And I thought the same thing about G-W.

Also, FAMU got hammered.
Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]