If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

rmiller1959 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 7:51 am Why do JMU and its legislative allies think they deserve a waiver no one else gets? I don't recall them coming to Liberty's defense during its transition period. Did they do the same for Old Dominion? Someone please make it make sense.

https://www.wavy.com/sports/virginia-sp ... igibility/
JMU is a Public University. Makes sense
Purple Haize wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:03 pm
rmiller1959 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 8:29 am So is Old Dominion. I don't recall a similar demand, although it's possible I missed it.
I don’t remember if ODU was Bowl eligible during that time or not.
They finished 6-6 in 2014, their 2nd transition year, and would have qualified for a bowl game because they had the requisite five FBS wins and no more than one FCS win.
rmiller1959 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:45 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:03 pm
rmiller1959 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 8:29 am So is Old Dominion. I don't recall a similar demand, although it's possible I missed it.
I don’t remember if ODU was Bowl eligible during that time or not.
They finished 6-6 in 2014, their 2nd transition year, and would have qualified for a bowl game because they had the requisite five FBS wins and no more than one FCS win.
Ok thanks. I couldn’t remember. But 6-6 is still different than a Top 25 team

I hope they lose a couple of games though and it’s a moot point :D
rmiller1959 liked this
It appears that the VA Attorney General is considering suing the NCAA on it. It seems frivolous to me. If State governments want to reign in the the NCAA and college athletics it should be over realignment, NIL and specific and actual cases of discrimination. Not this that every new FBS team has agreed to and complied with.
LUOrange wrote:It appears that the VA Attorney General is considering suing the NCAA on it. It seems frivolous to me. If State governments want to reign in the the NCAA and college athletics it should be over realignment, NIL and specific and actual cases of discrimination. Not this that every new FBS team has agreed to and complied with.
The threat of a lawsuit worked for UNC in getting eligibility for Tez Walker and for Tennessee for avoiding a postseason ban. Why not? The NCAA is a decaying organization. Honestly, the rule is dated could stand to change. The Transfer Portal makes it possible to compete quickly at the G5 level, especially for schools who are at the top of FCS.

I'm torn. I certainly would hate to see JMU get rewarded for the amount of whining they've done throughout their entire transition (including while they were still in the CAA and protesting the postseason ban they helped create years prior), but would also love to see Liberty get a shot at them in a bowl game. It's a good in-state rivalry and I'd like to see them play more often now that JMU has moved up.
AATL wrote: November 1st, 2023, 11:04 am
LUOrange wrote:It appears that the VA Attorney General is considering suing the NCAA on it. It seems frivolous to me. If State governments want to reign in the the NCAA and college athletics it should be over realignment, NIL and specific and actual cases of discrimination. Not this that every new FBS team has agreed to and complied with.
The threat of a lawsuit worked for UNC in getting eligibility for Tez Walker and for Tennessee for avoiding a postseason ban. Why not? The NCAA is a decaying organization. Honestly, the rule is dated could stand to change. The Transfer Portal makes it possible to compete quickly at the G5 level, especially for schools who are at the top of FCS.

I'm torn. I certainly would hate to see JMU get rewarded for the amount of whining they've done throughout their entire transition (including while they were still in the CAA and protesting the postseason ban they helped create years prior), but would also love to see Liberty get a shot at them in a bowl game. It's a good in-state rivalry and I'd like to see them play more often now that JMU has moved up.
I've always been a proponent of the Liberty-JMU rivalry. Heck, it's a shame that we're not in the same conference with JMU and ODU, where the rivalries would be more fruitful. That said JMU and most folk that I've ever known from JMU have always been arrogant cusses. So I'm definitely rooting for them to sit Bowl season out like the rest of us did.

Especially, since they and the rest of FBS had the opportunity to try and change the rule over the last year's Constitutional changes and as far as we know, they did nothing.

But I'm a proponent for changing the transition rules, especially for D2 to D1. But do it the right way and don't play the vicitm when you agreed to everything.
ATrain liked this
LUOrange wrote: November 1st, 2023, 1:12 pm JMU and most folk that I've ever known from JMU have always been arrogant cusses.
Do you know what people in Charlottesville say that JMU stands for?

Just Missed UVa

Earlier this month, this old Quiz Bowl coach took great joy in beating JMU 470-30 with my varsity team of 3 sophomores and a senior. Study
JMU made the bottom ten this week for all their shenanigans. :lol:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... es-madison
Sources tell Bottom 10 JortsCenter that James Madison officials are now petitioning the NCAA to change its bylaws to say any overtime loss at home on the same day you've hosted "College GameDay" and gotten everyone all lathered up to support your initial NCAA petition to get a bowl berth doesn't count.
ballcoach15, Cider Jim, Baybird and 1 others liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be betw[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]