If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Baltimore Orioles have clinched a playoff berth. At last report, the Yankees are hovering somewhere near bottom of AL East standings.
Baybird, Cider Jim liked this
By AATL
Heck of a season for the O's. I hope they can make a significant postseason run while the core is still together.
ballcoach15, Baybird liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Lemme see Braves vs. I’d in the series. That would be fun!
Cider Jim liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let the record show that the 'Stros core remain intact ... if they don't run out of gas before the finish line.
Cider Jim liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sad day in MLB. The Orioles have announced Brooks Robinson has died.
By Baybird
My favorite player growing up as a kid in Baltimore. The first game I saw was a loss to the Cleveland Indians in July 1966, and Luis Aparicio was the player I came out liking but by 1970, I was ALL Brooks! Had a chance to meet him in an elevator at Mercy Hospital and talked for a minute while he was on his way to see his wife. After drawing blood from 2-3 patients, I saw my next draw was from Constance Robinson...we talked several times in the next few days. In later years, he always referred to me as the "Vampire." Last talked to him in 1999 and he was still just a down-to-earth, regular guy who happened to be a legend. Although I never heard him speak of the Lord on a regular basis, he attended a Bible study hosted by Storm Davis and gave a testimony that he walked the aisle and was baptized by immersion as a child.

Great memories and he will be missed.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Orioles clinched the AL East by winning their 100th game of the season last night, a 2-0 shutout of the BoSox .
Baybird liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Next goal: best record in baseball for home field advantage through World Series.
Baybird liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Seven long years have passed since the Orioles were in the playoffs, but they are finally playing again in October and are hosting the Rangers at 1:05 today.

The playoff game is being televised on FS1.
Last edited by Cider Jim on October 7th, 2023, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Rangers have an amazing track record of choking down the stretch. The O's should be well-positioned to advance to the ALCS where one team will feel at home regardless of stadium.
Cider Jim liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think the O's are positioned well to do well against the Rangers. The Rays were a shell of themselves by the time the postseason rolled around and the Rangers took full advantage of that. They won't be so lucky against the O's. Plus who would want an Astros/Rangers ALCS!!?? I may be in Texas now but I haven't completely lost my mind! 😆
Cider Jim, ATrain liked this
By Ill flame
Sly Fox wrote: October 7th, 2023, 9:23 am The Rangers have an amazing track record of choking down the stretch. The O's should be well-positioned to advance to the ALCS where one team will feel at home regardless of stadium.
That reminds me, it's about time to rewatch highlights of the 2011 world series. One of the biggest chokes of all time in any sport.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 7th, 2023, 12:38 pm I think the O's are positioned well to do well against the Rangers. The Rays were a shell of themselves by the time the postseason rolled around and the Rangers took full advantage of that. They won't be so lucky against the O's. Plus who would want an Astros/Rangers ALCS!!?? I may be in Texas now but I haven't completely lost my mind! 😆
This isn't aging very well. O's in a huge hole.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Nope. Not aging well at all. I wasn't shocked the Rangers blew through the Rays but this is shocking me.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Wish all the playoff series’ were best of seven, for several reasons. Going to be extremely difficult for the Birds to dig out from 0-2. What a great regular season they had.
flamehunter liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It's wild with how strong the AL East was all year and now it looks like all 3 teams from the east will have early exits.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My bar is pretty low now. I just want the Orioles to win Game 3 in Texas. They have not been swept all year long.
LUminary, Baybird liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote: October 8th, 2023, 9:06 pm Wish all the playoff series’ were best of seven, for several reasons. Going to be extremely difficult for the Birds to dig out from 0-2. What a great regular season they had.
Agreed. I also am not a big fan of the three wild card teams. I'd prefer 1 wild card team getting in to even things out and then 2 seven game series before the world series. Do away with the wild card round.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m torn. I like the extra urgency and importance at the end of the regular season when there are more spots available and more teams in the mix.

But the shorter a series, the less it matters who the best team is, and the more it’s just whose hot at the moment. In the current format, there is a distinct disadvantage to being one of the top two and getting a bye. Nobody wants to sit for that long not playing.

I’ve seen my team benefit greatly from just being hot after being the last team in. And I’ve seen my team shot in the foot for clinching so early.
flamehunter liked this
By jmclaughlin
Huge Rangers fan here. Shocked at the upturn in performance of Texas in the playoffs but that is what this team is, streaky! Hat tip to the Baltimore fans. The crowd has been electric for games 1 and 2 in what is IMHO, the best baseball park in the country. They have been incredible.
Cider Jim liked this
By Ill flame
Camden yards is definitely on my list of parks i want to see but i have no motivation to visit Baltimore outside of that so it may be awhile before I find an excuse to visit that part of the country again. I bet experiencing it in a playoff atmosphere really adds to the appeal though. I've been to the pirates and rangers stadium which are both nice venues but attendance was lacking so it kind of takes away from the atmosphere.

Outside of the pitch clock rules I really don't like what MLB has done to the game. 12 out of 30 playoff teams is too many for a sport that has a 162 game regular season. Allowing the DH in the NL, the new extra inning rules, not requiring pitchers to throw 4 balls on an intentional walk and 26 man rosters don't make the game better.
AATL liked this
By AATL
Ill flame wrote: October 10th, 2023, 9:30 am Camden yards is definitely on my list of parks i want to see but i have no motivation to visit Baltimore outside of that so it may be awhile before I find an excuse to visit that part of the country again. I bet experiencing it in a playoff atmosphere really adds to the appeal though. I've been to the pirates and rangers stadium which are both nice venues but attendance was lacking so it kind of takes away from the atmosphere.

Outside of the pitch clock rules I really don't like what MLB has done to the game. 12 out of 30 playoff teams is too many for a sport that has a 162 game regular season. Allowing the DH in the NL, the new extra inning rules, not requiring pitchers to throw 4 balls on an intentional walk and 26 man rosters don't make the game better.
I'm really not a fan of the wildcard format with extra teams and three-game series. I think the prolonged break has done more harm than good for the top seeds the past two years. You spend tons of energy and adrenaline clinching a division to end the year and then shut down for a week before playing again and have to ramp back up to game speed.
JK37 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Meanwhile on the other side of the ALDS bracket, Twins pitchers still keep pitching to Yordan Alvarez. Pobrecitos.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]