If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

First off, Pistol Pete averaged over 44 points a game in his three seasons at LSU. So any 5-year attempt to break his scoring mark has a massive COVID-driven asterisk next to it. But it is a cool story this week to follow as Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis attempts to break the record at the Horizon League Tourney.

Did you know that Davis is a product of the same homeschool team as Jesse & John Caleb Sanders as well as Jonathan Jackson's big bother Justin who was recently traded by the Celtics to the Thunder? If fact, the Sanders' dad coached Antoine for HCYA here in Houston. Antoine's dad was at Texas Southern before moving up to Detroit Mercy as head coach following Antoine's senior season in Houston.

I remember seeing him play for HCYA back when my son was on another homeschool team across town. Back then, HCYA always managed to find Division I caliber kids and pretty much smacked around the local public schools before district play would start. My son faced him a few times back when he was in high school and could get off the bench. My daughter played against his sister before she decided she was more interest in equestrian than hoops. Small world.
He apparently also played for the same homeschool team as Ryan Kemrite before he joined HCYA. It is all big web of Houston homeschoolers.

Chris Caldwell who was not a homeschooler but just moved from running TJ Ford's program to being a head coach for a public school here in Houston.

Scar is connected in some way to nearly everyone I listed. Incidentally we had come 'cue together here in Houston last week.
Sly Fox wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:51 pm First off, Pistol Pete averaged over 44 points a game in his three seasons at LSU. So any 5-year attempt to break his scoring mark has a massive COVID-driven asterisk next to it. But it is a cool story this week to follow as Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis attempts to break the record at the Horizon League Tourney.

Did you know that Davis is a product of the same homeschool team as Jesse & John Caleb Sanders as well as Jonathan Jackson's big bother Justin who was recently traded by the Celtics to the Thunder? If fact, the Sanders' dad coached Antoine for HCYA here in Houston. Antoine's dad was at Texas Southern before moving up to Detroit Mercy as head coach following Antoine's senior season in Houston.

I remember seeing him play for HCYA back when my son was on another homeschool team across town. Back then, HCYA always managed to find Division I caliber kids and pretty much smacked around the local public schools before district play would start. My son faced him a few times back when he was in high school and could get off the bench. My daughter played against his sister before she decided she was more interest in equestrian than hoops. Small world.
There was no 3 point line when Pete played. Some said he would have easily averaged 50+ a game. When Pete played freshmen ball the arena was packed. It pretty much emptied when the varsity team came on to the court to play their game. Great video to watch "The Pistol" about when he was on the HS varsity team as an 8th grader.
No one is daring to suggest in any fashion that Antoine is in the same realm of Pistol Pete. The Super Senior season thanks to COVID has been a records destroyer.

Antoine put up 38 points last night in Detroit Mercy's victory over Purdue-Fort Wayne. The face Horizon top seed Youngstown State tonight in the quarterfinals. So this is likely his last chance to eclipse the mark barring an upset. He needs 25 points to tie Pistol Pete and 26 to break the record. And if you are wondering if he stills has the greenest of lights, his dad let him jack up 27 shots including 13 treys (he hit six of them) last night. So yeah, barring an off shooting night he'll have plenty of opportunities to break the record Thursday night in Youngstown.
I wanted to see who had the bigger green light, so I thought a fair comparison would be share of FG attempts per game.

Davis shoots 22.1 times per game out of the team’s 61.1 shots, so 36% of his team’s shots

In his senior year, Pistol shot 37.7 times per game out of the team’s 75.1, for a whopping 50% of his team’s field goal attempts
Antoine failed by 4 points of taking the record in Detroit Mercy's tourney loss last night at Youngstown. But almost assuredly they will get an invitation to one of the also-ran tourneys in spite of their losing record where he can break the record. If you are the CBI or TBT, it is a no-brainer because it will get your tourney on Sportscenter at the minimum.
Smallest sample size imaginable, but I watched the 10 minutes of Davis’ last game after the LU game was done. I was not impressed, honestly. He dribbles way out in front of him, doesn’t play defense, lots of wild shots, and his shot is super flat. I’m surprised he makes as many as he does.
stokesjokes wrote: March 13th, 2023, 10:30 pm Antoine Davis’s career is officially over, no tourney invite. 4 points short of the record.
That honestly shocks me. I thought for sure the CBI or whatever those other tournaments are called would have picked them up. It would have been the highest rated game of their Tournament
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]