If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By AATL
Not sure where to put this, but something is brewing with our soon-to-be conference mate. I'm not sure I've ever seen a school suspend an entire team's operations in the middle of the season.

By Ill flame
It's not just the basketball program. They are having serious issues from the top down.
Leadership at the school is also in flux. The board of regents recently decided not to renew the contract of Chancellor Dan Arvizu, which expires in June. Over the past 14 months, both the school's president and provost have resigned or been removed from their positions.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This has been a bizarre season for NM State. They got of a strong start until that Albuquerque incident. They never recovered on the court and it sounds like there was a complete lack of institutional control inside the program.

Before this season, they had arguably the best hoops program coming into CUSA 4.0. Right now they are in complete chaos.
By AATL
Sly Fox wrote: February 11th, 2023, 3:22 pm Before this season, they had arguably the best hoops program coming into CUSA 4.0. Right now they are in complete chaos.
No kidding - they fell off a cliff. As it stands now in the NET:

Liberty - 44
Sam Houston - 61
Middle Tennessee State - 116
Kennesaw State - 123
Louisiana Tech - 150
Western Kentucky - 173
UTEP - 185
New Mexico State - 191
FIU - 201
Jax State - 281
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Watched Middle and Western the other night. LU needs to get bigger/longer. Their wing were longer than anyone on LU’s roster.
By Ill flame
We've got a 6' 5 SG coming in next year that'll be one of our highest rated recruits in program history. I'm not concerned about our size and athleticism in the back court. It's the front court where we'll need to get bigger and more athletic. I'm sure that'll be addressed in the off-season.
By LUOrange
Ill flame wrote: February 11th, 2023, 5:33 pm We've got a 6' 5 SG coming in next year that'll be one of our highest rated recruits in program history. I'm not concerned about our size and athleticism in the back court. It's the front court where we'll need to get bigger and more athletic. I'm sure that'll be addressed in the off-season.
I thought I read that Rode and Robinson plan on playing their COVID year next year. Anyone know if that's still the case? What about Preston and his COVID year?

We'll have the 7'1 Chinese kid and Southerland next year, although they'll both need to put some weight on. Spell will need to step his game up and get on the Court, and I'd imagine if 2-3 of our current forwards return our Chinese kid may red shirt.
By Ill flame
I didn't realize they still had eligibility left. Even getting one of those forwards back would be huge. Last year I was worried about what our offense would look like without McGhee. Now that we are much more balanced on offense I'm cautiously optimistic that we won't see a huge drop off next year. This is the first I'm hearing about a Chinese recruit.
By LUOrange
Ill flame wrote: February 12th, 2023, 12:29 am I didn't realize they still had eligibility left. Even getting one of those forwards back would be huge. Last year I was worried about what our offense would look like without McGhee. Now that we are much more balanced on offense I'm cautiously optimistic that we won't see a huge drop off next year. This is the first I'm hearing about a Chinese recruit.
https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-got-a ... er-kai-yu/
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Preston also has his Covid year if he wants to return. Ritchie kinda let it slip in an interview last year that Kyle had told him he was planning to be around for another 2 years. I have not heard anything about the other 2. Both Blake and Kyle are married, which brings other factors into play. At this point, I actually think it may be more likely that one or 2 other players, who are not getting minutes, transfer out. IMHO, even with the loss of Darius, next year's roster will be the most talented we have ever had.
Ill flame, LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he redshirts in order to give him more time to develop, especially if some of our senior forwards return.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 12th, 2023, 7:05 am Preston also has his Covid year if he wants to return. Ritchie kinda let it slip in an interview last year that Kyle had told him he was planning to be around for another 2 years. I have not heard anything about the other 2. Both Blake and Kyle are married, which brings other factors into play. At this point, I actually think it may be more likely that one or 2 other players, who are not getting minutes, transfer out. IMHO, even with the loss of Darius, next year's roster will be the most talented we have ever had.
I never thought I’d be saying this, but I’d love for Blake to come back. He’s really put it together and could be a difference maker next year.
flamehunter, LUOrange liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I don't know what Kyle's future plans are, but I'd love to see him stick around when his playing days are done and start his coaching career. He seems like a natural coach to me.
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Back to NMSU and the latest developments .... :shock:

There has to come a point where CUSA has to seriously consider whether or not they allow them to enter the league. That school is in shambles athletically and across the board.

As for hoops, I can't imagine there being anyone on their roster including coaches will be back next year. I haven't seen an implosion of a program based on crime since the Baylor scandal in the '90s that nearly got them kicked out of the Big XII. Ian came in to rescue that disaster.

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let the record show that the three players who have already announced that they are leaving via Twitter are not connected to either the deadly shooting or hazing incidents according to multiple media outlets. Can't blame them for getting out of Dodge as fast as possible.

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]