If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... hip-events

The D1 transformation committee will recommend that all sports with 200+ teams should allow 25% of teams to compete in the post season. This would be approximately 90 teams for basketball. I doubt we see it anytime soon but it could be good for liberty as we start playing tougher competition next year. What do y'all think?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m always in favor of more postseason. 25% seems reasonable. Too many quality coaches get fired for “missing the postseason”.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:08 pm https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... hip-events

The D1 transformation committee will recommend that all sports with 200+ teams should allow 25% of teams to compete in the post season. This would be approximately 90 teams for basketball. I doubt we see it anytime soon but it could be good for liberty as we start playing tougher competition next year. What do y'all think?
It should go into effect with the 2023-24 school year. No need to "kick the can down the road".
By AATL
I'm all for it if it results in competitive mid-majors getting more opportunities. To me, that's what makes March Madness fun. It's probably the minority opinion, but I've always hated that the AQ bid for one-bid conferences like CUSA and the ASUN goes to the champion of the one-and-done conference tourney. Personally, I think it devalues being the best team over the course of the regular season (which offers a more significant sample size) and too often results in the better mid-major programs not receiving a bid.

I don't have much interest in watching 30 more middling P5 schools get bounced within a round or two by teams who outperformed them on a similar platform all year, though.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
As the Division I ranks gets larger, so should the tournaments
By Ill flame
I like to think every regular season conference champ would be guaranteed a spot if the tournament expands by that much. Looking at previous NITs the at large bids tend to be about 50-50 between P6 and everyone else. Even if they expanded to 96 teams with no additional auto bids they would have to take a lot of smaller schools because only so many P6 teams have .500 or better records. I have no problem with more expansion unless they start allowing teams with losing records in.
ATrain liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Growing up in SoCal I was fortunate to be able to listen to Dick Enberg as the play-by-play announcer for the Angels, Rams, and UCLA basketball in their heyday. As he would go on to do play by play for the three major sports, tennis, golf and the Olympics, he was one of the very best. An unusual pairing but Don Drysdale was the color man with him for the LA Rams for a few years before he died and did a good job.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:08 pm This would be approximately 90 teams for basketball... What do y'all think?
[Puts on Ballcoach face]

There are too many teams in it already

[Takes off Ballcoach face]

Seriously? It is stupid. Less teams, mutiple game series.
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]