If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 9:10 am I’m generally inclined to think a head coach is loyal and happy where he is - until he/she leaves.

The exception can sometimes be the person who has seen the mountaintop. 100% of coaches who haven’t want to get there. One who have may or may not want to return.

So there’s still a chance HCHF goes, but less so since he’s been to the pinnacle before. And he’ll be very, very picky about where he goes.

So I’m not sure Auburn is ideal. All SEC donors are psychos, but theirs take the cake.
And that’s the rub. He’s BEEN in the SEC. He KNOWS he can be successful. He also knows what it took and what it cost. Is he willing to do it again? Is he willing to try and do it as the ‘new and improved’ Hugh Freeze? IF he wants to win a National Title, Auburn gives him his best chance hands down. It also gives him a shorter shelf life and exponentially higher stress then his current situation.

He’s been there. He’s seen the grass on both sides. He’s a respected coach whether he stays or goes. He’s got a pretty great gig at LU.
TH Spangler, Honest Abe liked this
By Honest Abe
Go back and listen to some of the pressers in the first two years and compare them to now. I think there has been a subtle shift in how Freeze talked about being at LU and how he handled questions about other coaching jobs then vs now.
To me, then he sounded like a guy who was grateful for what he had, but still the guy who had been chasing success and his idea of it. Now, he really sounds like a guy who has experienced something different and is content. Call me crazy, but THE MOUNTAIN may have changed him. He may be a true believer in this place.
His family loves it. He has the love and support of the community.he is getting to build something here on the football field that still has not approached its ceiling.
And he gets the freedom to train young men spiritually as a key part of his program without apology.
Like Purple said, he has climbed to the other mountain and knows what it's all about. Now he's found something better. Liberty has a way of getting in your blood and in your soul, not for everyone, but for some of us.

Or maybe I drank too much of my own Kool-aid!
flamehunter, Tnobes liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I hope HCHF stays here and is successful. I will not hold it against him if he leaves. If he goes to Auburn, I’ll root FOR him as a person, and AGAINST him as a coach. #RollTide and #GoFlames.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Collins is out at Georgia Tech.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Wisconsin and Colorado are moving on from their coaches.

Arizona State
Nebraska
Georgia Tech
Wisconsin
Colorado
That’s five power 5 jobs already open. Seems really early to me. I guess Wisconsin is the best job??? I really don’t know how I’d rank them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 7:19 pm Wisconsin and Colorado are moving on from their coaches.

Arizona State
Nebraska
Georgia Tech
Wisconsin
Colorado
That’s five power 5 jobs already open. Seems really early to me. I guess Wisconsin is the best job??? I really don’t know how I’d rank them.
Nebraska and Wisconsin have the best pedigree. I read a piece a week or so ago making a pitch for Deon Sander to be the leading candidate at both Arizona State AND Auburn.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Those are five REALLY strong openings. In recent times Wisconsin would be the most attractive but all these schools ebb & flow.

With the crazy finances involved in major college football, the seat gets hotter and hotter every year.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Chryst, 56, finishes 67-26 in seven-plus seasons at Wisconsin, his alma mater. He won 10 games or more in four of his first five seasons with the Badgers, winning a Cotton Bowl, an Orange Bowl and three Big Ten West Division titles. But the program fell off beginning in 2020, going 4-3, before a slow start to the 2021 season, in which the Badgers finished 9-4.

Nevertheless, Sunday's move came as a surprise.

"Anyone who wanted Coach Chryst gone isn't a part of this team," star running back Braelon Allen tweeted.

According to Chryst's contract, Wisconsin will owe him $16.4 million if he is fired without cause, although a different settlement could be negotiated. Wisconsin's athletic board in January approved the rollover of Chryst's five-year contract through the 2026 season.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/ ... ources-say

This seems like unrealistic expectations. Way too soon to fire a coach. Unless…his replacement is already on staff.
Leonhard, a three-time All-America defensive back at the school, returned to Wisconsin as an assistant in 2016 and took over as defensive coordinator the following year. He has long been viewed as a potential successor to Chryst and is expected to be a candidate for the permanent job.

"I appreciate Chris McIntosh placing his trust in me to lead our team," Leonhard said in the news release. "My focus right now is on our players and moving forward with preparing them for our game on Saturday at Northwestern.

"I owe a lot to Coach Chryst. Everyone in our program does. He gave me my first coaching job, and for that I am forever grateful. As a Badger, I thank him for his impact on our football program and our players over many years."
Chryst may have hired the guy who took his job.
By Ill flame
aredd33 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 7:19 pm Wisconsin and Colorado are moving on from their coaches.

Arizona State
Nebraska
Georgia Tech
Wisconsin
Colorado
This is where I would rank them. None of these jobs are truly awful.

Tier 1
1) Wisconsin - Not including 2020, you would have to go back 12 years to find their last season with less than 8 wins and 20 seasons since the last time they didnt go bowling. With one of the highest floors in cfb and a relatively long leash for coaches this job has to be #1 imo. The only downside is their inability to ever be more than what they are now due to their location and stricter academic standards than most cfp contenders.

2) Nebraska - Kind of the opposite of Wisconsin. They have the most potential of anyone on this list but a low floor and a shorter leash for underperforming coaches. They've always had the most talent (by recruiting rankings) in the division but could never put it together. The right coach could bring this program to the CFP conversation but it's a risky career move for whoever takes the job with a lot of headaches dealing with those boosters.

Tier 2
3) Arizona St - You could easily argue that Arizona St should be in the same tier as Nebraska given the programs are similar. Like Nebraska, Arizona St has no issues bringing in enough talent to win their conference. Unfortunately for them their conference situation will likely limit their ceiling closer to Wisconsins current level but with a much lower floor. Maybe the next coach can take this opportunity to dominate a weakened PAC 12 and recruit players from California that don't want to play in the midwest in November. More likely the top west coast recruits will move to the big ten and SEC at a much higher rate.

Tier 3
4) Georgia Tech - Georgia Techs ceiling is being a borderline top 25 team with an occasional NY6 bowl appearance when the planets align. Fortunately for them, despite their admissions standards they've never really been the floormat of the conference like vandy is in the SEC. There's no reason why a coach can't come in and make a bowl game every year which is more than can be said about...

5) Colorado- Being the only P5 in a rapidly growing state (albeit one that doesnt produce much talent) gives Colorado a Wisconsin-esque ceiling. The right coach could make them a perennial top 25 program with occasional NY6 games. Unfortunately for them it would be an absolute project to get the program to that point and I don't think their administration actually cares about winning which can't be overstated. I imagine coaching at these types of schools where the administration doesnt care is like paddling up stream with a broken oar. It takes a truly special coach to make it work.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
From one Mountain to another?

There has been a lot of smoke that suggests that Freeze’s representatives and West Virginia University have already been in contact and that there is mutual interest. Freeze, who has a contract at Liberty that pays him more than $4 million a year through 2028, is the highest paid non-Power 5 Conference coach in the nation, but West Virginia could certainly match or better his current deal with the opportunity to coach at the highest level in college football.

Reportedly, big donors at West Virginia also want Freeze and would be willing to pay not only for a large part of Brown’s ridiculous contract buyout but help with the potential salary of Freeze, should he be hired by the university.

And folks who know will know..

In addition to the rumors swirling about the mutual interest between both sides, something very interesting happened on social media recently. Mike Montoro, the Assistant Athletics Director/Football Communications Director at West Virginia University, followed Hugh Freeze on Twitter in the last couple of days. While this could just be coincidental, it certainly adds gasoline to the fire, and Montoro does not follow any other head coaches around college football other than Freeze.

https://voiceofmotown.com/clues-that-hu ... -virginia/
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
Why do have to go breaking hearts Purple? No offense but if he left LU at this moment in time to go to WVU then I would truly be upset. Not that he left but left for that job during a time in Liberty Football where he could cement himself a legend by completing what he has started to build here.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
soccer7 wrote: October 27th, 2022, 2:54 pm Why do have to go breaking hearts Purple? No offense but if he left LU at this moment in time to go to WVU then I would truly be upset. Not that he left but left for that job during a time in Liberty Football where he could cement himself a legend by completing what he has started to build here.
It might be debatable as to which is a better job at this point in time, LU or WVU
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: October 27th, 2022, 6:16 pm I could understand him leaving us for a blue blood but leaving for a mid tier P5 would be puzzling.

Ummm WVU’s colors ARE blue and gold…. Study :D :lol:
ballcoach15 liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Freeze will not leave for WVU. I do not have any hard evidence but the only places I could see HCHF leaving LU for would be Bama, Clemson, Ole Miss (round 2). I think it is very important what Freeze said on ESPN this week. That his agent had been contacted by a few schools and he said he told the agent to decline them all.

But, WVU taking Freeze away from LU is just ludicrous.
Chippy liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: October 27th, 2022, 6:16 pm I could understand him leaving us for a blue blood but leaving for a mid tier P5 would be puzzling.
You shut your mouth.

VT must be low tier.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
I for one, believe HCHF when he says that he likes to be the first to do things. What better place to win the first ten bowl games of a school entering the FBS ranks. I believe that he is capable of having Liberty be one of those few teams that earns their way into the expanded CFB Playoffs.I also believe it when he says that he likes being in a place where people love him "warts and all".
I also believe that he loves being able to pour into these young men spiritually without fear of rebuke or pressure. I believe that he will continue to recruit at a high level because of everything that the school stands for and the fact that he can prepare anyone who is talented enough to get into the league. I believe that he can coach with anyone in the country and he enjoys doing it with the underdog school. Watching the game on TV tonight between N.C. State and Va Tech is like watching a Volkswagen compared to the Masarati that I witnessed last Saturday night. Think of where this program will be in five years, and no disrespect to any former coaches, but Coach Freeze will know that he has accomplished the lion's share of taking LU to this level himself.
He is already a millionaire many times over and will continue to be well compensated at a place he can concentrate on coaching instead of the endless butt kissing of egotistical boosters at SEC schools. His family seems to love it here, we love them, he has the ultimate job security in a profession that spits people out on a whim. He has already been there and done that in the pressure cooker, that settles it.
All you heathen schools give it up! Not gonna happen.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 27th, 2022, 9:43 pm Montoro has a degree from LU.

This sure is FUN!
I couldn’t believe the ‘reporter’ didn’t know that.
JK37 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Racenut wrote: October 27th, 2022, 9:48 pm I for one, believe HCHF when he says that he likes to be the first to do things. What better place to win the first ten bowl games of a school entering the FBS ranks. I believe that he is capable of having Liberty be one of those few teams that earns their way into the expanded CFB Playoffs.I also believe it when he says that he likes being in a place where people love him "warts and all".
I also believe that he loves being able to pour into these young men spiritually without fear of rebuke or pressure. I believe that he will continue to recruit at a high level because of everything that the school stands for and the fact that he can prepare anyone who is talented enough to get into the league. I believe that he can coach with anyone in the country and he enjoys doing it with the underdog school. Watching the game on TV tonight between N.C. State and Va Tech is like watching a Volkswagen compared to the Masarati that I witnessed last Saturday night. Think of where this program will be in five years, and no disrespect to any former coaches, but Coach Freeze will know that he has accomplished the lion's share of taking LU to this level himself.
He is already a millionaire many times over and will continue to be well compensated at a place he can concentrate on coaching instead of the endless butt kissing of egotistical boosters at SEC schools. His family seems to love it here, we love them, he has the ultimate job security in a profession that spits people out on a whim. He has already been there and done that in the pressure cooker, that settles it.
It's going to be crazy and so many things that seemed impossible will be occurring right before our eyes. Not only in football, but the entire athletic department/programs. The school will be different and will lead in the direction of growing the school population. Academia will expand as well with the full attention and planning of the new president and leadership. Lynchburg will be different with new opportunities and industrial growth. It will feel more like a college town and a spot that visitors come throughout the year. The golden era has not reach its tipping point yet and it's already a blessing to experience some of it thus far. The little national attention helps us and that Freeze is using it in a responsible way.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: October 27th, 2022, 9:48 pm I for one, believe HCHF when he says that he likes to be the first to do things. What better place to win the first ten bowl games of a school entering the FBS ranks. I believe that he is capable of having Liberty be one of those few teams that earns their way into the expanded CFB Playoffs.I also believe it when he says that he likes being in a place where people love him "warts and all".
Have you driven a Maserati*?

I’d compare the offense more to an Audi …. Smooth and quick at times, but inconsistent and hard to service.

Ohio State is a freaking Koenigsegg.
By cruzan_flame13
JK37 wrote: October 27th, 2022, 10:19 pm
Have you driven a Maserati*?

I’d compare the offense more to an Audi …. Smooth and quick at times, but inconsistent and hard to service.

Ohio State is a freaking Koenigsegg.
They still haven't proven themselves yet if we're being honest. I wouldn't use that car; maybe a McLaren GT for now.
By Ill flame
JK37 wrote: October 27th, 2022, 9:45 pm
You shut your mouth.

VT must be low tier.
I would lump both programs into the mid tier of P5s. I don't consider very many programs in the low tier but unfortunately my other team (Illinois) is historically one of them.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]