If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: November 5th, 2022, 10:04 am
It is a heck of a retirement plan if you don't care about morals, ethics, character, integrity and Christian values. If you want to sell your soul, it's great. You just proved my point about if freeze takes the job he's not the man he's been presenting himself to be. Taking a job expecting to get fired? Can you get less Christ like than that? I'll guess we will find out
Against my better judgment, I’ll jump in again.

The first part of your statement is either naive or virtue signaling, or both. It’s not amoral to accrue money. If he knew he was going to leave and signed a new long-term deal with a significant buyout - he leaves for what he wants and LU gets paid. Everybody wins.

Selling Your Soul is LINE 1 of every SEC football coach’s job description. SAID TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK.

I was a Division I college coach for 15 years. There’s no other profession like it. In no other job do thousands show up to watch you do your job, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM thinks they can do it better than you, despite all evidence to the contrary. And that goes for athletic Directors, too. AD’s used to be former coaches, so they understood it. When AD’s began being hired by boards and presidents for their fundraising, yet they still carried the responsibilities of hiring and firing coaches, all logic left the process.

So for those reasons - YES! You are hired to be fired. Nobody gets a coaching job for life. NOBODY! To ignore that is to ignore reality. And ignoring reality isn’t Christ-like.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I think the point I'll add, is that it is like Mccaw and Freeze have had conversations about not expecting Freeze to be there forever (although the university would be blessed if he keeps performing and stays). I'll bet they have had conversations about what is best for the university whether Freeze stays or goes.

The contract extension, as JK pointed out, is certainly better for the university and better for Hugh Freeze if he plans on staying.

The only downside in the contract would be if Freeze wanted to leave it may make his buyout bigger (making him slightly less attractive).

I don't know, but I'd wager that discussed it and everyone is on board with the strategy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 5th, 2022, 10:47 am
Tnobes wrote: November 5th, 2022, 10:04 am
It is a heck of a retirement plan if you don't care about morals, ethics, character, integrity and Christian values. If you want to sell your soul, it's great. You just proved my point about if freeze takes the job he's not the man he's been presenting himself to be. Taking a job expecting to get fired? Can you get less Christ like than that? I'll guess we will find out

The first part of your statement is either naive or virtue signaling, or both. It’s not amoral to accrue money. If he knew he was going to leave and signed a new long-term deal with a significant buyout - he leaves for what he wants and LU gets paid. Everybody wins.

Selling Your Soul is LINE 1 of every SEC football coach’s job description. SAID TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK.

I was a Division I college coach for 15 years. There’s no other profession like it. In no other job do thousands show up to watch you do your job, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM thinks they can do it better than you, despite all evidence to the contrary. And that goes for athletic Directors, too. AD’s used to be former coaches, so they understood it. When AD’s began being hired by boards and presidents for their fundraising, yet they still carried the responsibilities of hiring and firing coaches, all logic left the process.

So for those reasons - YES! You are hired to be fired. Nobody gets a coaching job for life. NOBODY! To ignore that is to ignore reality. And ignoring reality isn’t Christ-like.
That’s one of the worst Jesus Juke in the history of Juking for Jesus.
I will correct what I think is your typo. It IS amoral to collect money. It’s not immoral.
I’m not sure how it’s a negative reflection on anyones Character or Morals to take another job. But I DO know how big time coaching works. The contracts are written the way they are written for a reason. Condemning someone who wants to better their career and provide more for their family is an odd flex but as I stated “Tell me you don’t know anything about coaching contracts without telling me you know nothing about coaching contracts”
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 5th, 2022, 1:10 pmYou get me.
It’s almost like we have shared life experiences or something :D
By Tnobes
[quote="Purple Haize" post_id=646603 time=1667667501 user_id=150]
[quote=JK37 post_id=646600 time=1667659674 user_id=109]
[quote=Tnobes post_id=646599 time=1667657040 user_id=70512]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That’s one of the worst Jesus Juke in the history of Juking for Jesus.
I will correct what I think is your typo. It IS amoral to collect money. It’s not immoral.
I’m not sure how it’s a negative reflection on anyones Character or Morals to take another job. But I DO know how big time coaching works. The contracts are written the way they are written for a reason. Condemning someone who wants to better their career and provide more for their family is an odd flex but as I stated “Tell me you don’t know anything about coaching contracts without telling me you know nothing about coaching contracts”
[/quote]

I think you don't know how to read because I didn't say anything about how contracts work, your word should be your bond, the fact we have contracts say a lot about society and you think "that's how it works in college football" trump's the Bible's teaching about how to live your life. Nobody said anything about making money being bad, but if you think "I'll get a guaranteed contract, get fired and be set for life" is how Jesus would want you to do it, I can't help you. Taking a job knowing you will be fired is very immoral, you should only accept a job if you know you are going to succeed, if you think you won't, you are a con man. And the character portion is about honoring a contract, a job contract is like a marriage commitment, you can't help if the other party breaks it, but you are responsible for your own actions, but hey, I'm a college football coach, integrity doesn't apply to me.
By Tnobes
Numbers 30:2
English Standard Version
2 If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word. He shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.

Unless you are a college coach and get a better offer with more money, then by all means don't honor your word.
Brian Kelly 1:14 SEC standard version
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 5th, 2022, 5:24 pm If the contract includes a buyout clause, and the coach (or someone on his behalf) pays the buyout fee, has he violated the contract?
If a College fires a coach before the end of the contract are they immoral? Is Liberty acting in a non Christian manner when they let go of coaches like Mel Hankinson or Ken Karcher before the end of their contract? I mean the University gave their word and everything!

As I said. Worst Jesus Juke in the history of Juking for Jesus
flamehunter liked this
By Tnobes
If you can provide scripture refuting keeping your commitment or word in the work place I'm all ears. I'd like to see the verse. And there's no juking for Jesus, just living by the word and not living by the word, there's verses about that too. #lukewarm
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
@Tnobes, you didn’t answer my question.
JK37 wrote: November 5th, 2022, 5:24 pm If the contract includes a buyout clause, and the coach (or someone on his behalf) pays the buyout fee, has he violated the contract?
I’ll wait……..
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
How about someone starting a section for spiritual arguments or comments. It is pretty silly to talk about that stuff on a sports thread.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 5th, 2022, 5:29 pm
If a College fires a coach before the end of the contract are they immoral? Is Liberty acting in a non Christian manner when they let go of coaches like Mel Hankinson or Ken Karcher before the end of their contract? I mean the University gave their word and everything!

As I said. Worst Jesus Juke in the history of Juking for Jesus
@JK37 I too shall wait
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Either a troll or a KJV only guy.
Purple Haize liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: November 4th, 2022, 11:46 pm
No, you don't sign an extension, you tell the truth and tell the AD you don't want an extension because you are looking at other opportunities. At least that's what you do if you have integrity. Do you take your wife out for your anniversary, give her jewelry, then a month later leave her for someone else? Signing an extension and leaving right after would be the definition of low life. You do realize Auburn is paying 2 head coaches now not to coach? When they hire their next coach they will be paying 3 head coaches simultaneously. You are out of your mind if you think they are going to do a crazy guaranteed money contract again.
You have absolutely no idea how college athletics work.
Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Put aside “how college athletics work”. Or if @tnobes is KJV-only or not. I don’t mind either one, and I accept what he’s saying.

But the way these contracts are written, a man or woman who signs one as a coach doesn’t have to violate their word. They agree that if they stay, the University will pay them a certain amount over a select period of time. And they agree that if they leave, they will owe the university money to buyout the remainder of their contract’s value as delineated in the contract. In turn, if the University asks them to leave, it will pay the coach the total amount of guaranteed money ascribed in the contract.

So whether the coach leaves or the University asks him/her to leave, nobody has gone back on their word. Nobody has violated Numbers 30:2.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 6th, 2022, 8:27 am Put aside “how college athletics work”. Or if @tnobes is KJV-only or not. I don’t mind either one, and I accept what he’s saying.

But the way these contracts are written, a man or woman who signs one as a coach doesn’t have to violate their word. They agree that if they stay, the University will pay them a certain amount over a select period of time. And they agree that if they leave, they will owe the university money to buyout the remainder of their contract’s value as delineated in the contract. In turn, if the University asks them to leave, it will pay the coach the total amount of guaranteed money ascribed in the contract.

So whether the coach leaves or the University asks him/her to leave, nobody has gone back on their word. Nobody has violated Numbers 30:2.
You are so immoral you cannot even see the evilness of your own ways! We shouldn’t even need contract. Just give someone your word!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Getting back on topic……

The Auburn Community LOVES Carnell Williams. LOVES him. Don’t be surprised if they keep him
Also don’t be surprised if Mike Leach follows his former AD over
ballcoach15 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts

To me the idea of Kiffin seems to be better than the coach Kiffin. He’s had a fantastic run as Bama’s OC and is a fine head coach I guess but certainly not a coach worthy of coaching at the 3 of the best jobs in the country. (Tenn, USC, and if true Auburn)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If Kiffin takes the money and runs to Auburn, you know where they next conversion is going: who will be the next head coach at Ole Miss?
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]