If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
We get an early start this year with Nebraska informing Frost his services are no longer needed.
Looking back nothing in the world made more sense or seemed better than Frost returning home to Nebraska but it turned out to be a complete and total failure every step of the way.
Nebraska is light years away from the glory days of the 90s and somehow it seems they are just as far away from the consistency and success they had with Pelini.
By Ill flame
It seemed like a slam dunk hire at the time. There's no reason Nebraska shouldn't be winning 8+ games a season. They have consistently been the best recruiting team in the west since that division was created despite being a dumpster fire program during that time. I'm curious where they go from here. On one hand the next coach is taking over a blue blood program but it would be a huge professional risk to take that job right now.
Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Is HCTG still a celebrity there?
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You guys are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Yes, it is a dumpster fire. But a dumpster fire with resources in one of the two super conferences whose expectations have hit rock bottom. Rising coaches will be begging their agents to get their resumes in the AD's hands.

Coach Gill is by all means enjoying his life. I doubt that would be the case living in Lincoln these days.
Cider Jim liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: September 11th, 2022, 4:49 pm You guys are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Yes, it is a dumpster fire. But a dumpster fire with resources in one of the two super conferences whose expectations have hit rock bottom. Rising coaches will be begging their agents to get their resumes in the AD's hands.

Coach Gill is by all means enjoying his life. I doubt that would be the case living in Lincoln these days.
Coach Gill...................... good man, not a coach.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Looks like Matt Campbell from Iowa St is expected to take the Nebraska job. This would be as close to a slam dunk hire that they could get, although i thought the same about frost. What he's been able to do at Iowa St has been impressive and he's already proven he can sustain that success for several seasons unlike Nebraskas previous coach.

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:39 am Looks like Matt Campbell from Iowa St is expected to take the Nebraska job. This would be as close to a slam dunk hire that they could get, although i thought the same about frost. What he's been able to do at Iowa St has been impressive and he's already proven he can sustain that success for several seasons unlike Nebraskas previous coach.

BREAKING NEWS: "Matt Campbell from Iowa St Gets Big Raise, Stays At Iowa St."
(No one in their right mind on either side of that equation would let that slip out this early if that were the case.)
By Ill flame
It very well could be matt Campbell's people that is starting the rumor. One way or another he has another pay raise in his future. Nebraska has plenty of money to throw at him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: September 11th, 2022, 2:34 pm It seemed like a slam dunk hire at the time. There's no reason Nebraska shouldn't be winning 8+ games a season. They have consistently been the best recruiting team in the west since that division was created despite being a dumpster fire program during that time. I'm curious where they go from here. On one hand the next coach is taking over a blue blood program but it would be a huge professional risk to take that job right now.
I have no idea why Frost didn’t work out there. I absolutely stunned by the failure. On paper it checks every single box. Are there big Nebraska fans that still pine for the Osbourne days and style who are sabotaging all hires? It makes 0 sense As a WVU guy I kinda hope they kick the tires on Frost.
The Iowa St guy seems like the logical person to go after.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 12th, 2022, 5:16 pm
Ill flame wrote: September 11th, 2022, 2:34 pm It seemed like a slam dunk hire at the time. There's no reason Nebraska shouldn't be winning 8+ games a season. They have consistently been the best recruiting team in the west since that division was created despite being a dumpster fire program during that time. I'm curious where they go from here. On one hand the next coach is taking over a blue blood program but it would be a huge professional risk to take that job right now.
I have no idea why Frost didn’t work out there. I absolutely stunned by the failure. On paper it checks every single box. Are there big Nebraska fans that still pine for the Osbourne days and style who are sabotaging all hires? It makes 0 sense As a WVU guy I kinda hope they kick the tires on Frost.
Wonder if there is some way to pay Brown and not have to pay Frost much. Brown’s buyout is huge by WVU standards right now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 12th, 2022, 11:16 pm
Purple Haize wrote: September 12th, 2022, 5:16 pm
Wonder if there is some way to pay Brown and not have to pay Frost much. Brown’s buyout is huge by WVU standards right now.
I was thinking Browns buyout went down after this year. I think at this point those of us who trusted the climb need to find a new Sherpa
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 13th, 2022, 5:19 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 13th, 2022, 12:48 pm WV hire was not a good one, from day 1.
You don’t know what you’re talking about, so stuff it
He never does.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Herm Edwards was fired from ASU. He has a 26-20 record with 3 bowl games in 4 years. COVID year was the only time they missed a bowl game.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I was in Montgomery, AL over the weekend as Penn State easily dispatched Auburn on the road The locals have had more than enough of the Harsin show. He barely survived the offseason without getting fired and has done little thus far to save his job moving forward. he's alreadty being mentioned as a candidate to replace Herm Edwards at Arizona State.

Paul Finebaum, aka the SEC mouthpiece, has been vocal about Hugh Freeze being the best candidate for the impending opening at Auburn. In past SEC openings, he has led with the fact that Freeze still had too much mud on him. Apparently Coach Freeze's time in Lynchburg has washed off much of those concerns. The past couple of days the buzz has been increasing much to our dismay. Honestly, this is the one SEC gig that scares me the most. as a Flames fan.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
We shockingly (IMO) retained Freeze after changes at South Carolina, Tennessee, and Auburn and I don’t see Auburn passing on him again.
From the outside if I wasn’t an LU fan I’d say Freeze is perfect for Auburn.
By Ill flame
I have no doubt that he would do well at auburn but there are a ton of headaches associated with that job that he doesn't have to put up with here. He would be back under the microscope of the national media at auburn while he mostly flies under the radar here. He's already getting P5 money as it is, so unless they are willing to give him close to that nick saban money I just don't see it happening unless he gets that itch to be in the national championship conversation again. I've been wrong before though.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: September 21st, 2022, 5:04 pm I have no doubt that he would do well at auburn but there are a ton of headaches associated with that job that he doesn't have to put up with here. He would be back under the microscope of the national media at auburn while he mostly flies under the radar here. He's already getting P5 money as it is, so unless they are willing to give him close to that nick saban money I just don't see it happening unless he gets that itch to be in the national championship conversation again. I've been wrong before though.
I agree with all this. Assuming Auburn comes after him it’ll come down to job security vs opportunity for a national championship. Whatever Freeze decides is more important…time will tell.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 6:28 am Is Auburn really going to be paying three HC’s at once?
Yes. I don’t think they are paying full freight on Gus since he’s got another job. Plus it’s the SEC.., they do stupid crazy stuff. Which is why if I’m HCHF I look at what I have now as a pretty good deal. I said early on Auburn would be the job I’d think could take him. But…..it’s a dumpster fire and snake pit. Making what, $4 million here in Lynchburg and a job for life with your own little kingdom? He’s not getting that anywhere else. Any other job he gets he’s getting hired to get fired. It’s what those jobs are for. Look at the longevity of folks not named Saban.
Tnobes liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 6:28 am Is Auburn really going to be paying three HC’s at once?
Yes. I don’t think they are paying full freight on Gus since he’s got another job. Plus it’s the SEC.., they do stupid crazy stuff. Which is why if I’m HCHF I look at what I have now as a pretty good deal. I said early on Auburn would be the job I’d think could take him. But…..it’s a dumpster fire and snake pit. Making what, $4 million here in Lynchburg and a job for life with your own little kingdom? He’s not getting that anywhere else. Any other job he gets he’s getting hired to get fired. It’s what those jobs are for. Look at the longevity of folks not named Saban.
Since he's arrived, HCHF seems to be a straight shooter. His comments last year about him and his family being happy here amidst the rumors in last years carousel struck me as genuine. Most of us seem pessimistic about things generally, but I think LU offers him something he can't get anywhere else and that is the ability to focus 100% on football. He doesn't have to worry as much about crazed SEC fans, the boosters, the ridiculous politics, etc. At LU, he has a chance to really build a legacy, while collecting a very solid paycheck that will only keep going up. Depending on how the season goes, it wouldn't surprise me if he uses this to get an extra mil or two... But I agree with PH - he has his own kingdom here. Bobby Bowden / Joe Pa / Frank Beamer / etc. They all cemented their names in the history books by staying dedicated and loyal. Maybe HCHF thinks the same?
LUOrange, Tnobes liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m generally inclined to think a head coach is loyal and happy where he is - until he/she leaves.

The exception can sometimes be the person who has seen the mountaintop. 100% of coaches who haven’t want to get there. One who have may or may not want to return.

So there’s still a chance HCHF goes, but less so since he’s been to the pinnacle before. And he’ll be very, very picky about where he goes.

So I’m not sure Auburn is ideal. All SEC donors are psychos, but theirs take the cake.
Tnobes liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]