If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe the transfer portal and NIL crap will drive more coaches into early retirement. Basketball is probably worse than other sports, because of the "1 and done" recruits. Gone are the days in which you could recruit a high school player, keep him/her for 4 years, and "coach them up", and try to win a championship.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I don't expect we will see Jay looking for a home in The Villages any time soon. I would think either a business venture or an NBA job will be on the table pretty soon.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 8:48 am I believe the transfer portal and NIL crap will drive more coaches into early retirement. Basketball is probably worse than other sports, because of the "1 and done" recruits. Gone are the days in which you could recruit a high school player, keep him/her for 4 years, and "coach them up", and try to win a championship.
Those days have been gone for at least 20 years.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 8:30 am I don’t like how the article frames dudes retiring before their 70s as a worrying trend. People like K and Boeheim coach so long because they have what made Michael Jordan great- they’re a little bit psycho. I think it’s great for someone like Jay to say “hey, I don’t need this 70 hour a week job, I’m satisfied with what I’ve done, and I’m going to go spend some good years with my family.”
Best post ever. Agree 100000000000%
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
NBA jobs have pursued him, but it’s been less and less appealing to him.
He’d be GREAT for TV.
He’s accomplished everything there is to accomplish. He’s have to go another 15 years to pass K in wins. So, money is in the bank, he’s 60, he’s got his health. Why not go enjoy life?
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 8:56 am
ballcoach15 wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 8:48 am I believe the transfer portal and NIL crap will drive more coaches into early retirement. Basketball is probably worse than other sports, because of the "1 and done" recruits. Gone are the days in which you could recruit a high school player, keep him/her for 4 years, and "coach them up", and try to win a championship.
Those days have been gone for at least 20 years.
Probably true in basketball, but not other sports. When a transfer portal has over 1,000 players in it, there's a problem. I am waiting for the day when some rogue school gets caught tampering or buying a player from another school, just to see what the NCAA does.

I just saw that the NCAA has finally started getting tough on rogue schools. The Ohio State Fencing team has been put on probation.
JK37 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 8:55 am I don't expect we will see Jay looking for a home in The Villages any time soon. I would think either a business venture or an NBA job will be on the table pretty soon.
Early reports are that he’s not at all interested in an NBA gig. I can see him transitioning into commentating or a talking head role if he wants to stay connected.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Lookit. I just posted the first article I saw on the topic. Study Study :lol:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
These are challenging & changing times for the game. Quality guys transferring out is not a problem for JW. Notwithstanding, there are even greater issues within the culture of the game itself.
Last edited by paradox on April 22nd, 2022, 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ballcoach15 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The bigger issues facing the game impact every program. The response is going to be nuanced differently from program to program. To a degree, you can see where RM is positioning LU.
Last edited by paradox on April 22nd, 2022, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]