If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I think we had a preview of the Mens final tonight. UCONN tried but they were out matched physically tonight. Very boring game. But just like UNC, UCONN had come off a highly competitive and emotional game. Left them empty for tonight.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I turned it off and went to bed in the third quarter, if that means anything.

Coach K is the greatest generator and protector of public image I’ve ever met. But I know and have talked to too many officials to ever like the man.

I don’t think the handshake thing is more than the YNC players rushed the floor. And K shaking hands is one more example of protecting his image. He’s a smart man. That doesn’t mean his motivations are right or that he is a good man.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: April 4th, 2022, 6:15 am I turned it off and went to bed in the third quarter, if that means anything.

Coach K is the greatest generator and protector of public image I’ve ever met. But I know and have talked to too many officials to ever like the man.

I don’t think the handshake thing is more than the YNC players rushed the floor. And K shaking hands is one more example of protecting his image. He’s a smart man. That doesn’t mean his motivations are right or that he is a good man.
He’s Bobby Knight with a good PR consultant.
I’ve been to several of his clinics and enjoyed them. He even cussed at me one year! So he and Knight have that in common! He was very gracious with his time at each clinic but also had firm parameters about how much of his time he could give.
Absolutely most officials don’t care for him for a variety of reasons. He once was rumored to say that he expects perfection from 18-22 year olds on the court and therefore expects more from grown men who do it for a living.
His players seem to like him and he keeps up with them which is neat. Not every coach does that. He is no saint but he’s not the worst either.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The greatest coach of our time. Changed the game. Pivotal moment was when they took out UNLV in Hurely's second year. Everything changed after that.

What stands out most with this guy is character and leadership. He didn't make it about himself and his strategy, but allowed leaders to grow and flourish on the floor.
Last edited by paradox on April 22nd, 2022, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Coach K "stole" SC from us. That's reason enough to HATE him! :furious
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kansas may have won the game in historic fashion. But Hubert Davis is the real winner. Mad respect for that guy. UNC is (unfortunately for a Duke fan) in really good hands.
JK37, flamehunter liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 18th, 2022, 7:19 pm Purple, if you can generate discussion about any sport on this board, I'll buy you lunch at BK or Hardee's.
Replies that aged badly
JK37 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 5th, 2022, 12:27 am Kansas may have won the game in historic fashion. But Hubert Davis is the real winner. Mad respect for that guy. UNC is (unfortunately for a Duke fan) in really good hands.
The first half Kansas strategy was a real head-scratcher. Self was humiliated at halftime. His players bailed him out. Credit goes to the players. Tough kids.
Last edited by paradox on April 22nd, 2022, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 5th, 2022, 8:40 am
Purple Haize wrote: April 5th, 2022, 12:27 am Kansas may have won the game in historic fashion. But Hubert Davis is the real winner. Mad respect for that guy. UNC is (unfortunately for a Duke fan) in really good hands.
The first half Kansas strategy was a real head-scratcher. Self was humiliated at halftime. His players bailed him out. Credit goes to the players. Tough kids.

Davis got interviewed at the half. It was somewhat amusing. Way too emotional. Even talked a little trash about people sayin' they wouldn't be ready. All the while it never seemed to occur to him that Self was working against his own team. And on the verge of an epic choke. And the probability that the KU players might have something to say about that in the second half seemed to have escaped his mind. Davis appeared to be unconscious of this.

Another thing that was amusing during the UNC run: Roy Williams. Was he rooting for or against his team? Just watching him adjust his baby blue mask was priceless.
I’ve never been a Bill Self fan.
I loved Davis’ interview at halftime! He was absolutely right and they stayed competitive all throughout. The white kid from Kansas was the MVP last night. He got to the hoop a bunch early in the 2nd half to give Kansas a jolt. Then the big fella down low and the guard with the funky shot carried them home.
But the contrast between Self and Davis Last night was stark. If I’m a kid sitting at home watching those two, I’d be much more inclined to play for Davis than I would Self. One seemed to care about his players a ton. The other…..
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 5th, 2022, 11:00 am
paradox wrote: April 5th, 2022, 8:40 am

Davis got interviewed at the half. It was somewhat amusing. Way too emotional. Even talked a little trash about people sayin' they wouldn't be ready. All the while it never seemed to occur to him that Self was working against his own team. And on the verge of an epic choke. And the probability that the KU players might have something to say about that in the second half seemed to have escaped his mind. Davis appeared to be unconscious of this.

Another thing that was amusing during the UNC run: Roy Williams. Was he rooting for or against his team? Just watching him adjust his baby blue mask was priceless.
I’ve never been a Bill Self fan.
I loved Davis’ interview at halftime! He was absolutely right and they stayed competitive all throughout. The white kid from Kansas was the MVP last night. He got to the hoop a bunch early in the 2nd half to give Kansas a jolt. Then the big fella down low and the guard with the funky shot carried them home.
But the contrast between Self and Davis Last night was stark. If I’m a kid sitting at home watching those two, I’d be much more inclined to play for Davis than I would Self. One seemed to care about his players a ton. The other…..
I give the UNC players credit. They played with a major chip on their shoulder. No one believed in them, especially their former coach, who watched nervously from the stands.

Davis did nothing after Kansas went with 5 out w/McCormick in the high post. Bacot kept coming out. It was an open invitation for KU guards to attack the rim, and they were happy to oblige.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
IMO, Self, Davis, and the officials (as usual) were tripping all over themselves. Most of these guys are ridiculously overrated. And take themselves far too seriously. But there are exceptions. Jay Wright for example. Probably the best. A couple of Virginia guys that stand out: Chris Mooney & Tony Bennett.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Bill Self listened to Charles Barkley and UNC just plain ran out of gas. Good call by @Purple Haize on that one. By the end, they could barely get up the court.

Also, conspiracy theories are starting about the make-shift court they used. Kansas couldn’t score in the first half and UNC couldn’t score in the 2nd when they switched direction. Also, there’s the vid of the court literally buckling when Bacot twisted his ankle.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The Tar Heals are deep with talent, inside and out. They'll be back. Big time underrated IMO. And Davis btw is a likable guy.

Coach K didn't have the guards. Final Four was an overachievement this year. He was literally limping on and off the court. So, I think it's time.

This was Villanova's year. The Moore injury was too much for this team to overcome. Losing Gillespie last year yielded the same result. Those are the two guys you can't lose.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 5th, 2022, 11:12 pm Bill Self listened to Charles Barkley and UNC just plain ran out of gas. Good call by @Purple Haize on that one. By the end, they could barely get up the court.

Also, conspiracy theories are starting about the make-shift court they used. Kansas couldn’t score in the first half and UNC couldn’t score in the 2nd when they switched direction. Also, there’s the vid of the court literally buckling when Bacot twisted his ankle.
When Baycot went down I noticed what appeared to be a board buckle. But it wasn’t apparent on several other replays. There has already been statements my the venue and the flooring company saying everything was working fine.
These types of floors go in and out all the time. Heck LU had one at the Vines (and Schilling for a spell). If there was a defect im of the opinion it would have been caught beforehand. Of course both the facility and flooring folks need to CYA
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
UNC fans would do better by focusing on the suspect call to have Bacot drive to the paint from the three point line on a bad ankle? Not among the best options with the game on the line, even with a sound ankle. And also, earlier, what about the gaping hole in their D when KU drew him out of the low post? That's what initially turned the game around, right?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts

here's the smoking gun. UNC fans are gonna analyze this like the Zapruder film.

As far as what turned the game around, IMO Kansas stopped trying to play through the post and started playing fast. Their advantage was always guard play, not sure why Self didn't realize that until half-time. Speeding up the pace also helped drain UNC of what they had left. Not too often do you see kids puking on the floor.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The floor boards came from Vietnam. The name of the flooring company is Oswald. The Supervisor's name is Ruby. The install guy's name is Castro. And the flooring warehouse is located in Dealy Plaza in Dallas. And, oh, Ted Cruz's dad too.
Last edited by paradox on April 22nd, 2022, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 6th, 2022, 2:53 pm

here's the smoking gun. UNC fans are gonna analyze this like the Zapruder film.

As far as what turned the game around, IMO Kansas stopped trying to play through the post and started playing fast. Their advantage was always guard play, not sure why Self didn't realize that until half-time. Speeding up the pace also helped drain UNC of what they had left. Not too often do you see kids puking on the floor.
That’s the angle I originally thought was showing a floor bowing. But it doesn’t show up on any other angle. It probably is just a reflection or something similar
You are correct. Kansas turned it around because Braun had a series of plays where he beat UNC down the floor or they just didn’t stop the ball. It’s why I thought he was the MVP. That uptempo and relentless driving opened up the 3’s and created space for the big McCormick bucket at the end.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 2:02 am I put this here because he was discussed. Wow is all I can say

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... Hj8hSJd3rY
Certainly a shocker. As far as the article is concerned, they bring up some interesting points, but it's extremely speculative, and tying Wright's retirement to Williams and K is nonsense. They are both in their 70s and we all knew it was coming.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don’t like how the article frames dudes retiring before their 70s as a worrying trend. People like K and Boeheim coach so long because they have what made Michael Jordan great- they’re a little bit psycho. I think it’s great for someone like Jay to say “hey, I don’t need this 70 hour a week job, I’m satisfied with what I’ve done, and I’m going to go spend some good years with my family.”
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I think most of what you're saying is probably true. By all accounts Wright is a great guy. However, the analysis in the article would seem to ring true as well, but only as it pertains to Wright.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]