If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ok. Since we have a slew of Bowls being affected let’s put them all here. The Forum guru’s can combine into this thread.
Here is the latest. I would love for LU to get a shot at this one

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ources-say
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sometimes I wonder if some of these games being canceled,have more to do with opt outs and transfers, than COVID.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: December 27th, 2021, 7:33 pm Ok. Since we have a slew of Bowls being affected let’s put them all here. The Forum guru’s can combine into this thread.
Here is the latest. I would love for LU to get a shot at this one

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ources-say
Even if we wanted to, they aren’t allowing teams who have played a bowl to play in another one. I guess LU could argue we are one of the few teams who didn’t have a 13th Conference Champ game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
NC State and UCLA. It is like we hardly knew you
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NC State got shafted again. Last summer they got booted out of College World Series.
It sounds as if UCLA could have put the pads on and played, but chose not to.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 28th, 2021, 10:04 pm NC State got shafted again.
At first, I empathized with them for not getting an opportunity to get to 10 wins. Then I realized, "wait, they did have a chance. It's called the regular season." :football
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: December 29th, 2021, 10:43 am Why are asymptomatic players and staff being tested?
Because of science or something
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm guessing the idea is to protect the unvaccinated players. A lot of football players may be young but they still fit into other high-risk categories so schools are being extra cautious. Especially for bowl games that in the long run don't matter.

All I know is I'm glad I don't have to make these kinds of decisions. You just can't win.
Baybird liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
If you’re going to do testing you have to test everyone. If you give coaches leeway to make judgment calls about who is and isn’t “symptomatic”, you’re asking for a lot of shady decision-making. We all have a coach in mind who would pretend their kids aren’t sick in pursuit of a competitive advantage.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Denying NC State the opportunity for 10 wins is irrelevant. Even if NCSU had been going for 7 wins,UCLA backed out of bowl about 4 hours before kickoff. NC State had flown across country, fans had purchased tickets, hotel rooms, etc.
If UCLA had 22 players, they should have put pads on, and played.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I never agree with BC but he's right on this one.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Playing with only 22 players is a safety issue. If you’d really coached football, you’d know this.

And why do we keep testing? Follow. The. Money.

We’re still testing so we can feel better and say we did something. So if/when we are sued, we can say we did what we could. We are no longer testing because we care about people. Or science. And certainly not Mental Health.

It’s money and politics. So it’s really just money.

This thing is the Flu. We are never going to beat it. So far, the vaccine can’t keep you from getting it. And it can’t keep you from giving it to someone else. It can absolutely reduce the effect upon you if you do get it. So if you’re high risk, or just high anxiety, get vaccinated! It’s a flu shot.

The requirements, the masking, the testing, the cancellations of sports events and other events. It’s nauseatingly illogical and anti-science. It’s been weaponized. It’s been monetized. It’s been politicized.
Purple Haize, tyndal23 liked this
By LU 57
I give Dabo a TON of credit for having his team ready to play. Was very evident in pre-game speech clip as well as in sideline demeanor. Even more amazing is that Clemson had NO opt outs. Very refreshing.

Frustrating to watch big name programs (cough, SEC, cough) blow off bowl games. Would much rather see them decline and allow teams that want to be there compete.

I guess it is because the Mouse makes them play?
By tyndal23
LU 57 wrote: December 29th, 2021, 10:31 pm I give Dabo a TON of credit for having his team ready to play. Was very evident in pre-game speech clip as well as in sideline demeanor. Even more amazing is that Clemson had NO opt outs. Very refreshing.

Frustrating to watch big name programs (cough, SEC, cough) blow off bowl games. Would much rather see them decline and allow teams that want to be there compete.

I guess it is because the Mouse makes them play?
Pretty sure the 6-8 win SEC teams were motivated to play. At least the coaching staffs were. I do think players feel that since they are in SEC, even the bottom half, think they can phone it in against rest of the league. Now when Bama or GA just Miss playoffs and aren’t motivated, that is a bit different. Or even FL last year with all the opt outs, but none of those type SEC teams have played yet. Bottom half of SEC just isn’t that good - top third is elite and when 20% of their players opt out - that narrative holds - but has nothing to do with teams that have played so far. If Auburn players didn’t watch tape of Houston and take them serious, pretty sure the staff did.
Ill flame liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Opt out should be replaced with " quitter". If you're on scholarship, you should finish the season with your team.
JK37 liked this
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: December 30th, 2021, 1:05 am Pretty sure the 6-8 win SEC teams were motivated to play. At least the coaching staffs were. I do think players feel that since they are in SEC, even the bottom half, think they can phone it in against rest of the league. Now when Bama or GA just Miss playoffs and aren’t motivated, that is a bit different. Or even FL last year with all the opt outs, but none of those type SEC teams have played yet. Bottom half of SEC just isn’t that good - top third is elite and when 20% of their players opt out - that narrative holds - but has nothing to do with teams that have played so far. If Auburn players didn’t watch tape of Houston and take them serious, pretty sure the staff did.

Mississippi st players clearly thought they were superior just because of their conference and this type of thing isn't uncommon. I agree that the coaches are likely taking every game seriously but the entitlement is prevalent among the players and it's even worse among the fans. It always seems like the worst teams are the ones that hold on the tightest to Alabama's coat tails since being in the same conference as the best program in the country is all they have going for them.
tyndal23 liked this
By LU 57
Well, it sure seems like HC Shane Beamer had the Gamecocks ready to play as well. Glad to see it. Will be interesting to see how things progress there.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: December 30th, 2021, 3:27 pm Well, it sure seems like HC Shane Beamer had the Gamecocks ready to play as well. Glad to see it. Will be interesting to see how things progress there.
I think he will do very well at South Caroline
LU 57 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]