If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:33 pm The business part of college football isn't dying, but the entertainment part of it has been in a decline. The extension of the playoffs looks interesting and might bring back the excitement of bowl games(that'll remain at that time). The quick growth of TCU this season has given a lot of programs hope for the future in my opinion. Yes NIL will keep the top P5's in power, nonetheless the flaws that were exposed may give the "little guy" programs some hope for some gems who are desperate to find a home when things didn't go well at their previous spot. I hope the LU's NIL initiative will kick in and be a great example for how NIL should be organized. Kinda like the online academic route that people criticized but now follow (in their own way :lol: ).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:10 pm I thought college football was dying!!
I thought you were in some sort of Canadian Black Site you’ve been gone so long
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:15 pm
tyndal23 wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 1:24 pm
Ill flame wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 1:04 pm Just saw this and thought it was interesting.
Tv ratings from saturdays games:
Peach Bowl (Georgia v. Ohio st)- 22.1 million
Fiesta bowl (TCU V. Michigan)- 21.4 million
Sugar Bowl (Bama v. K state)- 9 million

For context here's last year's semifinal ratings:
Bama v. Cincinnati- 16.1 million
Georgia v. Michigan- 16.5 million

I guess people like fresh matchups and competitive games.
Imagine if NCAA did a guaranteed minimum payout for playoff $ and a % rev share TV contract. That is a HUGE number/windfall all going the networks way. I have always thought it made the most sense for all parties even on Conference TV deals. ( Universities too chicken to “risk” a down year for their budgets, but there was a lot of $ just left on the table...
With the CFP expanding I wonder if we start seeing each conference change how they do revenue sharing like we see with ncaa tourney money. Maybe the ACC gives more money to whoever makes the CFP as a way to retain Clemson and Florida state.
PAC 12 only Conference left who can do a rev share model this cycle. They could get with ESPN, figure out worst case “minimum guarantee” and 50/50 rev share over and above the baseline on an annual basis. They could come out looking very smart.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:33 pm The business part of college football isn't dying, but the entertainment part of it has been in a decline. The extension of the playoffs looks interesting and might bring back the excitement of bowl games(that'll remain at that time). The quick growth of TCU this season has given a lot of programs hope for the future in my opinion. Yes NIL will keep the top P5's in power, nonetheless the flaws that was exposed may give the "little guy" programs some hope to get some gems who are desperate to find a home when things didn't go well at their previous spot. I hope the LU's NIL initiative will kick in and be a great example for how NIL should be organized. Kinda like online academic route that people criticized but now follow (in their own way :lol: ).
Seemed pretty entertaining to me this weekend, more than it has been in a long time. But what do I know? I am just one guy.
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:10 pm I thought college football was dying!!
shhhhh....they'll know
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 4:31 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:33 pm The business part of college football isn't dying, but the entertainment part of it has been in a decline. The extension of the playoffs looks interesting and might bring back the excitement of bowl games(that'll remain at that time). The quick growth of TCU this season has given a lot of programs hope for the future in my opinion. Yes NIL will keep the top P5's in power, nonetheless the flaws that was exposed may give the "little guy" programs some hope to get some gems who are desperate to find a home when things didn't go well at their previous spot. I hope the LU's NIL initiative will kick in and be a great example for how NIL should be organized. Kinda like online academic route that people criticized but now follow (in their own way :lol: ).
Seemed pretty entertaining to me this weekend, more than it has been in a long time. But what do I know? I am just one guy.
Purple Haize wrote:
shhhhh....they'll know
And you just proved my point. It hasn't been good for awhile.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
My point is I hope that this is a sign of things to come and not just a one off thing. I think the expanded playoff will continue to make post season more exciting. I have been hoping for an expanded playoff since I was in high school. So let's just say that's been a while.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Expanded playoffs are good , but they should have went to 8 or 16 teams. Giving 4 byes will give those 4 teams an unfair advantage over the other 8 teams. After 12 or 13 games, a week off will be good for those 4 teams, who most seasons will be the teams that reach semi finals, as result of a week's rest. The committee will give byes to the wrong teams most seasons. (i.e. their pets)
By BlueBlood
ballcoach15 wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 9:58 am Expanded playoffs are good , but they should have went to 8 or 16 teams. Giving 4 byes will give those 4 teams an unfair advantage over the other 8 teams. After 12 or 13 games, a week off will be good for those 4 teams, who most seasons will be the teams that reach semi finals, as result of a week's rest. The committee will give byes to the wrong teams most seasons. (i.e. their pets)
All four byes go to conference champions - so the teams will have won their way to those byes.
By BlueBlood
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 6:18 pm I think the expanded playoff will continue to make post season more exciting.
For sure. In the new system, Tulane would have just won their way into a second-round game. Tennessee, Bama and Penn State would have moved on too.

I'm looking forward to next year.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Putting 4 conference champions into a bye was just a sneaky way to get a PAC 12 team in playoffs. Most years, the SEC runner up or even 3rd or 4th place team will be better than conference champion of PAC 12, Big 12 and Little 10.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote: January 1st, 2023, 1:41 pm I still think Georgia is better. It Ohio State surprised me last night.
Georgia is absolutely the best team in the Country. Ohio State has been simmering for over a month since their loss to Michigan. They came out primed and ready to play with something to prove. TCU is that plucky team that is maximizing everything they have and has incredible chemistry. Michigan came in over confident and unprepared which is not even remotely surprising

Joe Milton out of Tennessee was my break out player of Bowl season so far. Dude slings it very accurately and deep with ease. Some of those deep passes yesterday were jaw dropping. It looked like he put 0 effort into those huge bombs. Very impressive
His issue has been historically his accuracy stinks and he would power the ball when it wasn't necessary. guys on quick slants getting the ball rifled in at 95mph. But he looke VERY good in his bowl game. when he started at michigan I said he looked like a giant out there amongst the rest. He's built out even more at TN.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
I think there was a lot of deflection on the "michigan was overconfident" line. I followed the team and mich media pretty heavily and there was no overlooking this TCU team outside of ordinary optimism. National Media certainly was overconfident in a Mich win as they had usually been picking against TCU week in and week out.

I think Michigan made too many first quarter mistakes. Not pounding the ball at the goalline in their traditional way with both trips was just stupid play calling. I don't even care about bad TD reversal, you score on the 1/2 yd line. obviously the pick 6 was also bad. Mich moved the ball with ease. But so did TCU. Duggan is legit and we knew he would be. Michigan held OSU to 3 points in the 2nd half. TCU is a big 12 school that just scores. McCarthy looks young which is fine but Harbaugh and play calling looked stupid. Outside the 1st quarter Michigan was better the rest of the game.

OSU / GA almost made a bad day the worst day. I feel bad for a kid kicker that shanks one that bad. Georgia's defense can be scored on. thats pretty evident. until Harrison JR went out of the game, OSU basically had their way with them. But again OSU's defense eventually just gives up the ghost. and they did.

I think its clearly obvious they picked the 4 right teams to be in this playoff.

I think TCU can win the game. But I ultimately think OSU slapped a waking giant that had been napping for 4 weeks.
PAmedic liked this
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:51 am Putting 4 conference champions into a bye was just a sneaky way to get a PAC 12 team in playoffs. Most years, the SEC runner up or even 3rd or 4th place team will be better than conference champion of PAC 12, Big 12 and Little 10.
The third place big ten team just blew out the pac 12 champ and the #2 big ten or SEC team typically plays the ACC champ in a NY6 bowl so you're not too far off. It's going to be the SEC and big ten show most years. I still like the new format though.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]