If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is clear that the situation at Florida International is much more dire than most of us realized in spite of their publicly stated $14M football budget that tops CUSA. Check out these nuggets from the Butch Davis story:
Action Network wrote:When Davis arrived in 2017, he found out all the shoulder pads were at least 10 years old. The school wouldn’t provide the money to purchase new shoulder pads, but an assistant coach had a contact at Mississippi State. The Bulldogs’ program had shoulder pads that were five years old, but they were replacing them, so Mississippi State gave FIU its shoulder pads at no cost.

“They were five years old,” Davis said. “But they were new to us.”

In today’s college football world, where some schools get new uniform combos literally every game, FIU is using uniforms that are nine years old, Davis said.

Davis also said his coaching staff was not allowed to go on the road recruiting the past two years because of the school’s financial reasons and COVID-19.

In early October, the school ultimately undercut Davis. After five games, FIU posted on the school’s official website and also the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) website an opening for the head coaching position.

The school said FIU’s university website lists job postings for each head coach and assistant in every sport even when there are no openings but did not address the AFCA posting.

“This year has been a nightmare,” Davis said. “You can imagine the players’ reaction when a head coach’s job was posted online. The administration has been sabotaging the program.
Click Here for Full Story

Just this past week, their AD Pete Garcia quit this past week and Davis claime dthey hold only briefly spoken about twice in the past 10-12 months. Yikes.

The fact the university listed an opening for Butch Davis' job during the seaosn indicates that they intend to keep football at least for the time being. With archrival FAU now headed to AAC and feeling more isolated and overwhelmed financially by the day, it has to beg the question:

Do they drop down to FCS?

Idaho is the only school to ever make that decision and has immediately regretted it. I suspect they either stay FBS or drop football altogether at some point.

It also should be noted that Pete Garcia has been lobbying for Judy McLeod's job as commissioner of CUSA. What an interesting world we now find ourselves dwelling.
By LUOrange
Most of the CUSA posters on CNSbbs can't stand McLeod. I, also found it interesting that the WKU AD didn't give her any credit for bringing us, NMSU, JSU & SHSU in. Instead he gave it to CUSA's Board Chairman. So it'll be interesting to see how long CUSA 4.0 proceeds with her at the helm.

The FIU situation is alarming and makes me rethink what Freeze was talking about when he said that they need to get their act together when he was asked about JJ Holloman during Fall camp. It's probably a good idea for CUSA to go ahead and get school 10 on board for 2023.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The university is a publicly funded R1 university with 58k students right square in the middle of Miami. The school isn't going anywhere. The athletic department has been run for the past two decades by refugees from the glory days of the U. As long as they get some decent hires in as AD and a younger head coach they should be good.

For the record, I am hoping FIU gets its act together. I'd loving taking a trip to Miami every other year. Parking is free and tickets are practically given away. Sounds like a fun, reasonably priced weekend for Mrs. Sly & I.
LUOrange liked this
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]