If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
According to sources, NCAA has approved, starting 9/20, to allow 2 non coaching staff members to engage in on court instruction for men's and women's basketball.
Baseball and softball has been trying to get an additional coach for years, but NCAA says no.
Basketball plays 5 players, and has roster of 12-14 players. Softball plays 9 players, and has roster of 25-31 players. Baseball plays 9 players, znd has roster of 25-40 players.
NCAA continues to shaft baseball and softball. They may as well add another coach for basketball, so that every starting player can have individual coach.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:37 pm According to sources, NCAA has approved, starting 9/20, to allow 2 non coaching staff members to engage in on court instruction for men's and women's basketball.
Baseball and softball has been trying to get an additional coach for years, but NCAA says no.
Basketball plays 5 players, and has roster of 12-14 players. Softball plays 9 players, and has roster of 25-31 players. Baseball plays 9 players, znd has roster of 25-40 players.
NCAA continues to shaft baseball and softball. They may as well add another coach for basketball, so that every starting player can have individual coach.
I have to say that of your myriad of pet peeves, this is one of the few that I find has merit. It is an apples and oranges situation, because those 2 basketball staffers are already on the payroll, and making these duties legal would not increase costs. Nonetheless, I agree that a 3rd assistant and probably an additional scholarship or 2 would probably be in order for baseball and softball.

As far as the change for basketball is concerned, it's a simple matter of the NCAA not wanting to or having the staff to enforce something that most schools were doing anyway. Your Jeckyl/Hyde position on the NCAA (saying they are incompetent/corrupt while still wanting them to "crack down" on the smallest little details) is going to be facing some challenges, because all indications are that they are planning on getting out of the rule making and enforcing business and dumping all that on the conferences.

For Liberty MBB, the likely candidates to take on those duties would be Director of Player Development Kevin Anderson (who was actually an assistant coach before Ritchie swapped positions for him and Joe Pierre) and Director of Player Personnel Zach Farquar. Personally, I would love to see Henry Barrera be able to be more involved with on-court instruction, but I think his plate is pretty full.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:23 am With so few players,(compared to baseball and softball), why does basketball need so many coaches ? :dontgetit :dontgetit :dontgetit
They are totally different sports. Coaching baseball and softball is mostly individual skills development. You don't have to install and teach an offensive and defensive system.
By Ill flame
It's insane to only have 2 assistant coaches in baseball/softball. There is too much variety in skills and positions for 2 coaches to be effective. Ideally you would have a pitching coach, a hitting coach and two coaches splitting duties between infielders, catchers, outfielders and recruiting coordinator. The current rules kind of require the head coach to also be a position coach rather than the CEO which is fine at lower levels but unusual at D1.

In today’s game you can’t have more th[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.