If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday unanimously ruled in favor of college athletes seeking unlimited benefits tied to education in a landmark case that enhances players' ability to earn compensation while simultaneously diminishing the NCAA's power. The Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA could not limit such benefits for athletes who play Division I basketball or football.

"The NCAA is not above the law," wrote Justice Brett Kavanaugh in his concurring opinion.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... education/

So what do you think it looks like in 3-5 years?
The key to this ruling is benefits tied to education, but rogue schools will direct cash directly to recruits to get them to campus, via car dealers and/or other local businesses. And let's not forget shoe companies. There are some P5 schools who are probably stockpiling a slush fund, as I type this, to buy recruits.
Why is this BS limited to football and basketball ? I see a lot of title IX lawsuits. If you pay the quarterback, you need to pay the shortstop on the softball team.
This BS and the transfer portal will destroy college sports, (with help from the weak NCAA)
Ballcoach - this will open the door for softball players too. They can sell their likeness too, only problem - I doubt companies will be lined up for a SS on a college softball team. This will only really benefit the two main money sports. Maybe T&F, but mainly Football and Basketball.

How many people have purchased EA NCAA Softball 20?
ballcoach15 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 2:25 pm Why would anyone want to buy a likeness, other than aid recruiting , or buy someone off transfer portal. Anyone who gives money to a college athlete is unethical and sinful.
Video games. Paid interviews. Jersey sales of a future star. Autographs. I get it’s going to be a disaster, but I’m also not for athletes not being able to make any money while in college. It was NCAAs fault for not figuring this out earlier.
I don't expect guys like ball coach to understand this, but name and likeness allows players to profit off themselves. That means they can start a YouTube channel, monetize it, and make money that way. So Jimmy QB who has a good personality and wants to talk about what it's like to play quarterback at SEC University can record a 10-minute video each week, get 1 million views, and make $5,000 off the ads on the video.

Or a legit example:

Mark Titus was the last man on the roster for Ohio State's basketball team. He started a blog talking about what it was like to be a walk-on and everything that went into that. He was a phenomenal writer and got tons of views on his website. But he couldn't monetize it, so he made nothing until he was finished playing. Under the new rules, he could be paid for his blog just like Susie Sorority Girl with her fashion blog.

This is a really good thing for a lot of players.
flamehunter, thepostman, Baybird and 2 others liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 1:43 pm The key to this ruling is benefits tied to education, but ALABAMA will direct cash directly to recruits to get them to campus, via car dealers and/or other local businesses. And let's not forget shoe companies. There are some P5 schools LIKE ALABAMA who are probably stockpiling a slush fund, as I type this, to buy recruits.
Why is this BS limited to football and basketball ? I see a lot of title IX lawsuits. If ALABAMA pay the quarterback, you need to pay the shortstop on the softball team.
This BS and the transfer portal will destroy college sports, (with help from the weak NCAA)
Edited for accuracy
prototype wrote: June 21st, 2021, 1:58 pm Ballcoach - this will open the door for softball players too. They can sell their likeness too, only problem - I doubt companies will be lined up for a SS on a college softball team. This will only really benefit the two main money sports. Maybe T&F, but mainly Football and Basketball.

How many people have purchased EA NCAA Softball 20?
I am actually surprised a college softball video game was not made by EA back in the day when they were pumping out a new college sports games every year...how hard would it be to make a collegiate softball game? I imagine a baseball game engine could be updated for it with some tweaks.
Not all things legal are ethical.

That said, this is about freedom. And I suspect there are still going to be regulations that restrict boosters’ ability to contribute. And on fair market value for services rendered.

This is less about schools directly paying players, and more about players being allowed to make money themselves. Guys like BC, if you cannot get that distinction through your head, you’ll never understand this. And BC, the more you talk the more you prove you don’t understand it at all.
ATrain liked this
Someday, everyone will bow to BC and say he was correct.
There's just too much wiggle room in all this. Money may not come directly from schools, but car dealers, shoe companies, etc will funnel money to players. (and recruits)
When the QB is making 5000 dollars an appearance signing autographs and the center snapping him the ball is getting 0, it will cause internal problems on the team.
ballcoach15 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 11:23 pm Someday, everyone will bow to BC and say he was correct.
There's just too much wiggle room in all this. Money may not come directly from schools, but car dealers, shoe companies, etc will funnel money to players. (and recruits)
When the QB is making 5000 dollars an appearance signing autographs and the center snapping him the ball is getting 0, it will cause internal problems on the team.
It might. But if that QB was a transfer and made a horrible team respectable or a good team a title contender then people will swallow their ego for The Cause
olldflame liked this
thepostman wrote:It will never make any sense to me how people who claim to be staunch conservatives that believe in the free market can be just as staunchly against young adults taking advantage of the free market to make some money.
A lot of people struggle with applying a consistent view across the board. It happens on the left and on the right. We see it with pro-life issues. We see it with economic and market issues big time. Free speech issues. You name it.

I'm just looking forward to some good NCAA games. It was a lot more fun running a college team on NCAA Football on my original Xbox than running a franchise on Madden. I also liked the playbook selection better than Madden but liked that retained the same gameplay.
thepostman, ballah09 liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 9:21 am At last check, students go to college to get an education.
Yet, they literally get no free time besides the holidays to spend time with friends and family and work to earn money to buy the things they want and need all for them to try and keep their scholarship because if they are not good enough they can lose it.

You really have no idea what you’re talking about. This is a win for all college athletes.
thepostman, ATrain liked this
TH Spangler wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 11:36 am It is a big change, time tell how good it is. I can see both sides. Dosen't disadvantage LU. Probably advantages us.
We have been training/prepping our athletes on how to legally take advantage of this for quite a while. I think they will have a head start on some. It would be interesting to see how much Malik rakes in. One would think with all the hype lately he will do well.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]