If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Rec League, high school and college sports should not be about making money. It's about playing the game/sport and trying to win a championship. Once the diplomas are handed out, then you "get a job" and make money. Now granted, the NCAA and ESPN have basically ruined sports, all in the pursuit of the almighty dollar.
In case anyone hasn't been paying attention, not every college athlete goes to MLB, NFL or NBA upon leaving college.

In other news, I was told yesterday that "Liberty coaches need to be more active on social media, only football is doing a good job utilizing social media. Other coaches are basically non-existent on Facebook and Twitter, other than an occasional post or like".
Purple Haize wrote:Getting a 40k /year scholarship is a pretty good exchange for goods and services rendered.
good post. Without these scholarships, many athletes would not be able to go to college.

The end result of all this mess is the big schools will end up buying 4-5 star recruits out of high school, and/or off the transfer portal.
Purple Haize wrote: June 25th, 2021, 7:46 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 25th, 2021, 7:21 am In those jobs you often have negotiating options to get a fair - and often large - wage.
Y’all are gonna make me go to the mat on this arent you? :D :D

Getting a 40k /year scholarship is a pretty good exchange for goods and services rendered.
Baseball has 11.7 scholarships.

Softball has 12.

Soccer is 9.9 and 14.

Not every athlete is getting $40,000 scholarships.

Also - most contracts with exclusivity agreements are for more than one year at a time.
20 years ago you could argue that a scholarship was likely a reasonable level of compensation. today's revenue numbers likely tell a different story. That said just like any profession the path to the top is typically paved with crap work and crap pay. Dr's take on ridiculous amounts of debt and work absolute garbage residencies as an example. Its the only way to become a Dr.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 25th, 2021, 7:21 am In those jobs you often have negotiating options to get a fair - and often large - wage.

Getting a 40k /year scholarship is a pretty good exchange for goods and services rendered.

Softball has 12.

Soccer is 9.9 and 14.

Also - most contracts with exclusivity agreements are for more than one year at a time.
if you aren't a scholarshiped athlete you are basically replacement level. last I checked nobody cares about you. You are likely in the same place you were even with new rules.
Baseball and softball players likely aren't going to get massive NIL endorsements, but this opens up the possibility of them doing so.

A few years ago the UCF kicker was deemed ineligible because of a monetized YouTube channel. He likely wasn't a scholarship player. This rule change would allow him to keep the $10,000 - $20,000 his channel would've brought in through advertising and still play football.
flamehunter liked this
there are certainly fringe cases everywhere. but the reality is that it will still continue to be fringe when talking real money. The good thing is now it can actually be recordable wages and not just cash under the table. My buddy was a walkon 4th string olineman at UofWisc and he would spend a weekend roofing houses for cash just to have spending money.
ballcoach15 wrote: June 25th, 2021, 2:28 pm Back during the Gulf War ( Desert Storm) there was a former PAC 12 basketball player in my Platoon. He said boosters were always shaking player's hand, and "greasing the palm" with 20s and sometimes 100s.
Happens everywhere
RubberMallet wrote: June 25th, 2021, 10:45 am
Jonathan Carone wrote:

Softball has 12.

Soccer is 9.9 and 14.

if you aren't a scholarshiped athlete you are basically replacement level. last I checked nobody cares about you. You are likely in the same place you were even with new rules.
What makes you think that most scholarshiped athletes can't be replaced? Its not uncommon for coaches to decline to renew scholarships, or reduce the value, etc...
What makes you think that most scholarshiped athletes can't be replaced? Its not uncommon for coaches to decline to renew scholarships, or reduce the value, etc...
[/quote]

When I was at Softball World Series, I was talking with a girl who plays D1 softball at a Big 12 school, but her home is in Oklahoma. I asked her what was the Sooner's recruiting secret ? She said the coach signs players and if they don't develop into "super stars", she runs them off, and signs some replacements. Sounds like an average or good player isn't welcomed in Norman.
ballcoach15 wrote: June 25th, 2021, 4:23 pm What makes you think that most scholarshiped athletes can't be replaced? Its not uncommon for coaches to decline to renew scholarships, or reduce the value, etc...
When I was at Softball World Series, I was talking with a girl who plays D1 softball at a Big 12 school, but her home is in Oklahoma. I asked her what was the Sooner's recruiting secret ? She said the coach signs players and if they don't develop into "super stars", she runs them off, and signs some replacements. Sounds like an average or good player isn't welcomed in Norman.
[/quote]

News flash ballcoach. The Sooners are not winning these national championships with "average or good" players. Like any championship level program, they set high standards, and only the players who meet them get to play. Usually what happens then is the coach gives the players who aren't meeting the standard an honest evaluation of where they stand, how much they would need to improve, and their chances of playing going forward. If the news is bad, most will choose to leave at that point (and coming from that program will have no shortage of opportunities). No "running off" here. I suppose there may be occasions where a player decides they want to stay anyway. Yes, there are some coaches who will then try to make them feel unwelcome (never excusable), or as a last resort pull their scholarship (perfectly within the rules and sometimes the best thing for all concerned). I'm not aware of that happening with OK softball, but it's certainly possible.
JK37 wrote: June 26th, 2021, 1:35 am
ballcoach15 wrote: June 25th, 2021, 7:17 pm When I looked at Transfer Portal last night, there were 8 Oklahoma players in portal.
8 kids who want to improve their chances of PLAYING. You really are insufferable sometimes.
A bunch of "average or good" former HS All-Americans with national championship rings, who the evil coach "ran off" by not playing them instead of the "super stars". :roll:
I want to be clear: I don’t think it’s good of student-athletes to always be transferring. Not for every situation is it the best option. But I believe in giving people the freedom to make both good and bad choices. It may not be good for college athletics, but I don’t see any better alternative.

As for the Supreme Court’s ruling, giving players the option to make $$$ on their name, image and likeness is a good option. The NCAA and the conferences still have the responsibility to regulate it, and they will. This is likely to bring a lot of things into the light that were already happening in the dark but didn’t need to be.

I’ll share this story: a good friend and colleague was a scholarship football player at Wake Forest twenty years ago. Highly intelligent and motivated, he sought internships during both his junior and senior years of college. He was offered several that were paid internships with companies such as Northwestern Mutual and Enterprise. He had to turn down the best internship programs in the country because they were PAID internships. Had he made a nickel, he would’ve lost his scholarship. So in the spring and summer when he had the time to make a few bucks and advance himself in preparation for a career after college - like all students SHOULD be doing - he was forced to turn down good opportunities just because he would've made legitimate money to do so.

Tell me, BC: how is that right?

Change isn’t easy, but it is inevitable. I would encourage you, BC, to consider that.
LUOrange liked this
ATrain wrote:
RubberMallet wrote: June 25th, 2021, 10:45 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: Baseball has 11.7 scholarships.

Softball has 12.

Soccer is 9.9 and 14.

i'm trying to see where i said they couldn't be. the point of the matter is this isn't going to be a dough raking event for anyone other than superstars.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]