If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Any guesses on how much coin Ballcoach dropped on a College World Series softball cap? :shock:
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
This whole thing will be a disaster!! There are no rules. Just look what is happening in Miami already. The "Bring back the U" Company... He's going to get multiple companies to pay each player money to play there... This will get out of control fast!! Biggest Booster programs will get the best athletes - period!! no more college football or basketball - it's basically the minor leagues, just held on college campuses.
TH Spangler liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: July 8th, 2021, 8:54 am This whole thing will be a disaster!! There are no rules. Just look what is happening in Miami already. The "Bring back the U" Company... He's going to get multiple companies to pay each player money to play there... This will get out of control fast!! Biggest Booster programs will get the best athletes - period!! no more college football or basketball - it's basically the minor leagues, just held on college campuses.
Since when did the bigger programs not typically get the best athletes?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: July 8th, 2021, 12:41 pm
prototype wrote: July 8th, 2021, 8:54 am This whole thing will be a disaster!! There are no rules. Just look what is happening in Miami already. The "Bring back the U" Company... He's going to get multiple companies to pay each player money to play there... This will get out of control fast!! Biggest Booster programs will get the best athletes - period!! no more college football or basketball - it's basically the minor leagues, just held on college campuses.
Since when did the bigger programs not typically get the best athletes?
Good point, but that's not exactly what he said, which was "the Biggest *Booster* programs. There are some (like Miami) that have not enjoyed a huge amount of success of late, but have boosters who are practically foaming at the mouth over the chance to legally throw large amounts of cash at athletes to get them to the U. There are also successful, big budget programs who have made efforts to avoid it and operate within the rules, but now that it's legal, may have no choice.
prototype liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
What's taking place at Miami is just a small fraction of all the crooked, bad, dirty, unethical and illegal stuff that will be happening at certain schools.
I have been saying this since I first heard of NIL crap. If anyone wants capitalism, have athletes pay the total cost of their education while they are in college playing football and basketball.
I cannot understand why many fans are drooling over NIL. It's going to destroy college sports.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 8th, 2021, 3:53 pm
What's taking place at Miami is just a small fraction of all the crooked, bad, dirty, unethical and illegal stuff that will be happening at certain schools.
I have been saying this since I first heard of NIL crap. If anyone wants capitalism, have athletes pay the total cost of their education while they are in college playing football and basketball.
I cannot understand why many fans are drooling over NIL. It's going to destroy college sports.
There have, over the years, been many college athletes who would have gladly given up their scholarship to be able to monetize their NIL. At least one, UNLV guard Greg Anthony did, forming a business selling T-shirts. After initially allowing it, the NCAA reversed course and ruled him ineligible.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
And with what time would you expect him to go in there living? 20 hours a week in class, 20 hours in practice, training, and competition. The point is that the scholarship and all of the requirements that come with it, create necessary constraints on their ability to earn an income. And before you say they don’t need to earn an income because of the scholarship, there are real things that the scholarship does not cover.

Now, beyond that, restricting their freedom to earn an income just like every other college student, is exactly what the Supreme Court said was illegal.

I am more interested to see if the big early investors maintain their investment in these athletes long-term when they return on their investment isn’t realized, or realized as quickly as they wish it would be. The moving company in Miami already said they were only doing it for the first year, didn’t know if they were going to keep doing it beyond that.
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Both sides of the argument seem to be looking for a perfect solution. There isn’t a perfect solution! This is not a problem or an equation that needs to be solved, and if you contextualize it that way you will remain frustrated. It’s about finding the most balanced best solution that can be had.
SumItUp liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: July 8th, 2021, 4:39 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: July 8th, 2021, 3:53 pm
There have, over the years, been many college athletes who would have gladly given up their scholarship to be able to monetize their NIL. At least one, UNLV guard Greg Anthony did, forming a business selling T-shirts. After initially allowing it, the NCAA reversed course and ruled him ineligible.
Using the t-shirt business model I can see a big donor and his business sharing a t-shirt design with the athlete and then ordering 10k plus shirts. There will be so many rules coming. I feel sorry for IM and all the ADs around the country trying to comply.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
lmao, almost every school has deep pocket donors. this now opens the door for the ones that didn't want to play dirty to play fair. I believe there is an opportunity for more parity in college sports. I also believe the incentive to leave early is lessened in this environment.

Its likely to kind of be a zoo initially. to a point where all us onlookers are like eehhhhh i don't know...but i'm sure it will be fine.
stokesjokes, prototype liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I think it’s going to be a mess while everyone figures it out, but I don’t think it will take long to reach an equilibrium that most will be satisfied with.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This needs to be in the Lynchburg Food thread. I LOVE me some County Smoak!
ElmersTwin liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 11th, 2021, 2:54 pm This needs to be in the Lynchburg Food thread. I LOVE me some County Smoak!
Mrs. Cider loves their stuffed baked potatoes, which is big enough for TWO meals. :cheerleader
Last edited by Cider Jim on July 12th, 2021, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If college athletes actually make any money with the NIL stuff, will they have to pay taxes on earnings ? I think there will be a lot of cash being paid "under the table", greasing the palms, and "in the parking lots".
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach would change his mind if Burger King sponsored him or the LU softball team.
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:57 am If college athletes actually make any money with the NIL stuff, will they have to pay taxes on earnings ? I think there will be a lot of cash being paid "under the table", greasing the palms, and "in the parking lots".
Yes. I heard Coach Freeze’s advice to the boys was “Get what you can, do it legally, save 50% for taxes.”

No need to be under the table anymore, BC. That’s the point.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]