If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I'm proud of my alma mater for winning the national championship in soccer last night in overtime, beating Indiana 1-0 .

ballcoach15, rtb72 liked this
I didn't join the bandwagon until about 9:00 last night, but this graphic is absolutely beautiful.

Cider Jim wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:46 am I didn't join the bandwagon until about 9:00 last night, but this graphic is absolutely beautiful.

I didn't even know Marshall had a soccer team until this morning, but I'm glad the Herd won. Beating a Big 10 team made it even better. Conference USA's first national championship in any sport,.
Cider Jim wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:46 am I didn't join the bandwagon until about 9:00 last night, but this graphic is absolutely beautiful.

I can get behind that picture! Who doesn’t like to see their little brother succeed?!
Purple Haize wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:26 pm
I can get behind that picture! Who doesn’t like to see their little brother succeed?!
That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me, BIG brother! 8)
Purple Haize liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: May 18th, 2021, 11:00 am

I didn't even know Marshall had a soccer team until this morning, but I'm glad the Herd won. Beating a Big 10 team made it even better. Conference USA's first national championship in any sport,.
Which puts them in a tie with the Big South and one ahead of the ASUN.
How much recruiting budget does Marshall possess? Take a look at the makeup of their roster:

USA - 23
Brazil - 6
Germany - 4
England - 3
New Zealand - 2
Kenya - 2
Canada - 1
Argentina - 1
Ghana - 1
India - 1
Mexico - 1
Spain - 1

46 Total Players from 12 Countries. Wow! Every goal scored all season and their keeper in 17 of 18 games were all by international players. Their head coach is British and his top assistant is Serbian. Perhaps this is the path for a school like ours to follow.
Sly Fox wrote: May 19th, 2021, 11:03 am How much recruiting budget does Marshall possess? Take a look at the makeup of their roster:

USA - 23
Brazil - 6
Germany - 4
England - 3
New Zealand - 2
Kenya - 2
Canada - 1
Argentina - 1
Ghana - 1
India - 1
Mexico - 1
Spain - 1

46 Total Players from 12 Countries. Wow! Every goal scored all season and their keeper in 17 of 18 games were all by international players. Their head coach is British and his top assistant is Serbian. Perhaps this is the path for a school like ours to follow.
We have had coaches from both Scotland and Ireland in the past, with mixed results. 8 of 26 players on our current roster are internationals. The sheer number on the Marshall roster is kinda shocking. Obviously, either most are not on scholarship or they are giving tiny fractional scholarships like teams do in baseball. (Quick Google search reveals that the scholarship limit for D1 soccer is 9.9.)
Sly Fox wrote: May 19th, 2021, 11:03 am How much recruiting budget does Marshall possess? Take a look at the makeup of their roster:

USA - 23
Brazil - 6
Germany - 4
England - 3
New Zealand - 2
Kenya - 2
Canada - 1
Argentina - 1
Ghana - 1
India - 1
Mexico - 1
Spain - 1

I’m not sure restructuring your team and recruiting philosophy based on a 1 year wonder flash in the pan is a good idea. LU is/was unique in its ability to reach students Internationally based on organic growth and alumni reach. So I can see a few more than average International players on the roster.

USA - 23
Brazil - 6
Germany - 4
England - 3
New Zealand - 2
Kenya - 2
Canada - 1
Argentina - 1
Ghana - 1
India - 1
Mexico - 1
Spain - 1

46 Total Players from 12 Countries. Wow!
The IU Message Board lit up after the game, calling Marshall's team all kinds of xenophobic terms:
"Hired Semi-Pro Euro thugs"
"International Super Squad"
And they noted how "ironic" it was that Marshall was a member of "Conference USA."
Roosters, a local wings restaurant in Huntington, was televising the game, but because the game started so late, they turned off the TVs and closed BEFORE the end of regulation, so their customers MISSED all of the overtime--including Marshall's winning goal.
Now the restaurant is offering an apology. Sorry, too little, too late. :nono :buttkick
ballcoach15 liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]